AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Watching London Heathrow  (Read 8536 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Watching London Heathrow
« on: August 12, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »
I've got a pretty good view to the north-east from my location to the north of Heathrow.  I've set up some markers on the map to help me visually identify the aircraft inbound and outbound.  These 4 red radial lines mark my field of view to the left and right and the 2 lines between these correspond to 2 prominent chimney pots on nearby buildings.  So, I watch the aircraft on the RB screen and when they cross or approach these lines, it's over to the window to visually identify the aircraft through the binos.  Very simple, but it works very well :-)  It's a bit more cloudy today, but I'm still seeing some traffic through the gaps.  Note that I've used the altitude filter to only see traffic below 15,000 ft and normally the radial lines are not this bright, but I've changed the colour to make them easier to see in the screen shot.

eggplant

Re: Watching London Heathrow
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 09:04:24 PM »
Hi,

Good idea with the chimney pot lines, but how do you draw the markers onto your map ? Can't work it out for the life of me !!

John
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

Allocator

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »
On the wrong laptop at the moment, but the lines are an outline .out file with lat/lon start and finish points.  I'll post the .out file next time I've got the RB laptop up and running.

It's just a very simple 'airfield outline' file.

eggplant

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »
Sussed it out now ! I've got some marker lines on my map which equate to two electricity pylons which happen to be to the extremes of my viewing area. Dead handy when viewing the aircraft that appear on the RB screen.

Thanks !
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:46:13 PM »
Sorry, forgot all about getting back to you about this.  I'm glad that you've worked it out though.