AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: anybody know  (Read 7412 times)

oldun666

anybody know
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:16:08 AM »
does anybody know what this is?, at 013hrs thurs 20/8 on my flights, reg, d-cult.  mode s, 3cf 601. type said, tie - up extracted from country sequence      no pic of it   strange or what? 

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: anybody know
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 06:46:25 AM »
does anybody know what this is?, at 013hrs thurs 20/8 on my flights, reg, d-cult.  mode s, 3cf 601. type said, tie - up extracted from country sequence      no pic of it   strange or what?

No it's not particularly strange - it's D228 msn 8192 of Business Wings, ex LN-BER of Kato.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

oldun666

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 08:57:37 PM »
thank's a lot dave thats a lot clearer ha ha thought i was seing a ufo lol.

EK01

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:26:09 AM »
Jeff,

2 sights that you may not be aware of where you can check up on Mode S codes and their allocated registrations are www.gatwickaviationsociety.org.uk/modeslookup.asp and www.airframes.org
Just enter the mode S details showing in your RB and usually, but not always, you get the current full reg/type/construction number/owner tie-up.
This can help fill in gaps and sort out any oddities.

Cheers,

Ian

DaveReid

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 10:09:44 AM »
2 sights that you may not be aware of where you can check up on Mode S codes and their allocated registrations are www.gatwickaviationsociety.org.uk/modeslookup.asp and www.airframes.org
Just enter the mode S details showing in your RB and usually, but not always, you get the current full reg/type/construction number/owner tie-up.

Interestingly (and unusually) airframes.org has a completely different identity for this Do228 (GAS has it under its previous, albeit correct, registration)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

EK01

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »

Interestingly (and unusually) airframes.org has a completely different identity for this Do228 (GAS has it under its previous, albeit correct, registration)

Dave,
Which of the 2 sites would you reckon is the most reliable. You state GAS is showing the details under the previous registration therefore how can that then be the correct registration. Surely,that means the details on the airframes site must be for the new owners,etc.
Just interested as to which site you use as your preferred site for giving reliable information.

DaveReid

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »
You state GAS is showing the details under the previous registration therefore how can that then be the correct registration. Surely,that means the details on the airframes site must be for the new owners,etc.

The GAS details are correct, just out of date - they shows the aircraft still current as LN-BER.

Airframes is wrong - by "different identity" I meant that it gives msn 8108 for D-CULT, whereas it's actually a completely different airframe, msn 8192.

I'd stress that both sites are usually pretty good, although I know that there are other, non-enthusiast sources that AirNav are also evaluating.

freqhopping

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »
GAS has lots of out of date information for N- aircraft.  So I always cross reference the FAA site.  http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Inquiry.aspx
I've disabled autopopulate because of this.

I come across a lot of codes associated with registrations that are reserved or not assigned.

oldun666

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 09:34:23 PM »
gentlemen thank you, there's a lot more to this rb than meets the eye ive tried the gas  site on one i seen last night but the only thing i could enter is the mode-s which was 503131 every evrything else said null except for the squawk which was 2751 but to no avail.    thanks jeff.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:48:17 PM by oldun666 »

EK01

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 08:16:21 PM »
gentlemen thank you, there's a lot more to this rb than meets the eye ive tried the gas  site on one i seen last night but the only thing i could enter is the mode-s which was 503131 every evrything else said null except for the squawk which was 2751 but to no avail.    thanks jeff.

Jeff,

Entering mode S code 503131 into the GAS site does indeed give a 'not found' return, however entering the same code into the airframes website states that the code is incorrect and, in fact, should be mode  S code A19647 which relates to a Frontier Airlines A320-214 registration N201FR with c/n 3389.
It does occur but not usually frequently that a mode S code has been incorrectly entered therefore if no details are given on the GAS site for example it is worth checking the airframes site which can sometimes give more information than just 'not found' and point you in the right direction with regard to a registration tie-up.
Cheers,
Ian

EK01

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 08:19:55 PM »
You state GAS is showing the details under the previous registration therefore how can that then be the correct registration. Surely,that means the details on the airframes site must be for the new owners,etc.

The GAS details are correct, just out of date - they shows the aircraft still current as LN-BER.

Airframes is wrong - by "different identity" I meant that it gives msn 8108 for D-CULT, whereas it's actually a completely different airframe, msn 8192.

I'd stress that both sites are usually pretty good, although I know that there are other, non-enthusiast sources that AirNav are also evaluating.

Cheers Dave. Thanks for that. As can be seen from reply #8 and #9 above it would appear that in that instance the airframes site appeared to be the better of the 2. I suppose it is a case of checking unusual/untraceable mode S codes with both sites and comparing the 2.
Cheers,
Ian
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 08:23:34 PM by EK01 »

freqhopping

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 09:41:24 PM »
Jeff,

Entering mode S code 503131 into the GAS site does indeed give a 'not found' return, however entering the same code into the airframes website states that the code is incorrect and, in fact, should be mode  S code A19647 which relates to a Frontier Airlines A320-214 registration N201FR with c/n 3389.
It does occur but not usually frequently that a mode S code has been incorrectly entered therefore if no details are given on the GAS site for example it is worth checking the airframes site which can sometimes give more information than just 'not found' and point you in the right direction with regard to a registration tie-up.
Cheers,
Ian

Actually 503131 is somewhat correct. The avionics guys entered the first six digits of their FAA-assigned octal mode-s number.  For this aircraft the octal number is 50313107.  To convert from octal to hex I use this site:  http://www.southcoastdivers.com/cgi-bin/hex2dec.pl?num=A19647&dir=h

There are two mis-coded Frontier aircraft that I've logged.
503131  N201FR
503147  N202FR

Anytime you see a mode-s hex that begins with a 5 followed by 5 more numbers it's likely the first six digits of an FAA-assigned octal number.

I like the Airframes site because for N- regs if the mode-s is not found it will at least give the N- reg that is associated with it.  Then I look that up on the FAA site. I come across quite a few new airliners that haven't been added to the database.

DaveReid

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 10:48:24 PM »
I like the Airframes site because for N- regs if the mode-s is not found it will at least give the N- reg that is associated with it.  Then I look that up on the FAA site. I come across quite a few new airliners that haven't been added to the database.

I believe that the GAS site also gives registrations for those countries where it can be derived directly from the 24-bit address, even if there isn't an airframe tieup shown.

EK01

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »
Moral to the story. Check both sites !

Ian