AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Advice/help please  (Read 4742 times)

dauntless

Advice/help please
« on: August 16, 2009, 03:54:24 PM »
Hi One and all

Is there a way that the aircraft that list in my flights can be checked off against a database/checklist?

I use ADU but they dont support Airnav and what i would like to do is check aircraft off to see the scale of whats picked up against the scores of aircraft.

Hope this makes sense

Best wishes

Andy 

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Advice/help please
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »
Hi One and all

Is there a way that the aircraft that list in my flights can be checked off against a database/checklist?

I use ADU but they dont support Airnav and what i would like to do is check aircraft off to see the scale of whats picked up against the scores of aircraft.

Hope this makes sense

Best wishes

Andy 

Why don't you use RadarBox MyLog and export the data to a csv file using MyLog > Tools > Export to csv - then open the csv file in a spead-sheet program.  You can then sort it in any order and compare it with your database/checklist.  Would this work?

Edit: Just attached a very 'quick and dirty' MyLog csv export and opened it with Excel.  Sorted by Registration, nothing else done to tidy it up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 04:47:52 PM by Allocator »

dauntless

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 04:55:34 PM »
Thanks  Allocator

Yes that looks a good idea, i had thought of that one, but thought there may be another alternative, or perhaps other ideas fellow Airnav users may have adapted.

I'm wondering with the database that comes with Airnav could be adapted to hav a column that tells you if a particular aircraft has been picked up from the box, i assume that the database on ver 3.01 beta has all possible aircraft listed?

Again i hope i make sense

Regards

Andy

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 05:01:28 PM »
Andy,

RadarBox uses 2 databases:

- NavData.db3 is the master source list of aircraft that comes already populated with thousands of aircraft details.

- MyLog.db3 (empty when you install RB) will only contain the aircraft that you have picked up with your antenna.

You don't need another column to tell you what has been picked up, as all that information is in MyLog.

When you say does V3.01 have all aircraft listed (in the NavData.db3 database), I'm not quite sure what you mean.  It will have a lot of aircraft listed and this NavData.db3 is auto-populated using data from the online Gatwick Aviation Society (GAS) database, but no database is 100% and Airnav do not provide database updates as the GAS populate does this as you use RB.

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 05:07:08 PM »
Another screen shot this time with titles added to the MyLog csv dump - this time using the free OpenOffice spreadsheet program.

dauntless

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 05:09:46 PM »
Thanks again allocator

Please forgive me, i'm not brill with databases, i think i understand what your driving at. Naturally i do except that no database is ever 100% correct.

When i open the database, it gives the option to populate etc, when i go in click it opens looking for a SQB file, which i have none.  So to be honest i'm not all that sure how it updates mine, i assume being online does that with the 12 month subscription?

Where you mention about the aircraft picked up from my box, can that be generated into various lists and or one big complide list?

Many thanks

Andy

PS - Allocator, would it be best to PM each other so not to annoy other posters?

Allocator

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 06:07:05 PM »
Andy,

Best to do this on the forum so that we can all learn :-)

- When you are connected to the Internet, the NavData.db3 file viewed using Database Explorer, will be auto-populated when new aircraft are detected and there are no details in the database for that aircraft.  There is a whole different bunch of discussions here on the forum regarding the 'logic' of how this works - but don't worry about that right now :-)

- Don't use the Database Explorer Populate/Import button as this is for importing an external SQL database if you have one from another Mode S receiver.

- You can see the auto-populate working when RB is running connected to the Internet.  Click once on an aircraft line without details in the MyFlights or Network lists.  At the bottom right of the RB screen you will see a message about Photo/Info requests, and if there is data in the online database, this will be downloaded and added to your NavData.db3 file so that it is always avaialble, even if you are not connected to the Internet - say when you take your RB to an airport to use with a laptop.  The blank data line in the MyFlight/Network list will also be filled in.  Auto-populate has happened without you having to do anything :-)

If you now open MyLog, this will show all the aircraft picked up live by your RB and the aircraft information will be taken from your main NavData.db3 database.  Use the Quick Filter and Quick Set time filters to choose what you want to see.  In my examples posted earlier, I just selected 'Today' to see today's aircraft.  I could have further filtered that to show only British registered aircraft by using:

Registration = G-*

and clicking 'Filter'

Have a play, you can't break it :-)

Whatever you have showing is what gets exported to the csv file.  If you wanted everything, you would leave the quick filter blank and choose 'All Time' in the Quick Set box.  As I said, have a play and see how it works.

- When you use MyLog

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
Here is an example of using MyLog to see all the British mil aircraft detected today (I know that their Mode S codes all start with 43C and I've added the 'wildcard' * to get all those that are 43C???.

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »
And if I export these to csv and import them into the spreadsheet, this is what I get.