anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox 2009 - 3.01 Beta - Part 2  (Read 71449 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox 2009 - 3.01 Beta - Part 2
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2009, 07:56:57 AM »
I still think the best compromise would be to have the Share Flight Data tickbox on the logon screen when you startup Radarbox.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2009, 08:02:21 AM »

Are you sure that you are really entering a hyphen and not the 'minus' '-' symbol?  Using a full size PC keyboard, I can enter a hyphen (to the right of the 'zero' key) into the database with no problem. but if I hit the 'minus' key on the numeric section of the keyboard on the right, then the map correctly zooms out.

I wonder if you are using a laptop where there are less keys and some of them have double or even triple functions?

Hi Allocator,

Thanks, you hit the nail on the head. I was using the 'minus' key which is interchangeable with the 'hyphen' in other applications.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2009, 08:40:46 AM »
Have you ever tried to fly MS Flight Simulator on a Laptop using the keyboard alone - an absolute nightmare with all the doubled up keys - aggghhh :-)

GreekSpy2001

• Graham's Aircraft Photos
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2009, 09:44:47 AM »
Am I missing something?  "Today is the day" came and went and I didn't see a link to the latest public beta 3.0.2.  So have i missed the thread, entirely possible, or have unforeseen problems have put back the release?

Ta

Graham

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2009, 09:56:45 AM »
AirNav have said previously - and I'm sure they will take this opportunity to confirm - that the data they sell to commercial users is derived from an entirely separate network of RadarBoxes and doesn't make use of the feed from the likes of us.

According to their website that is not the case.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/order.html

That's not my interpretation.  Anyway I've found the original post that I was referring to:

Ok once again looks like some customers are confused. So lets make this clear:

RadarBox at the moment does NOT send Live data to the network server. Only 5 minute delayed is sent. Therefore if your not a proffesional version member you will not be sharing Live data so you are not helping the proffesional network.

That seems pretty unambiguous to me - if you're an enthusiast RadarBox user, your data is not being used for the professional network.

As I said at the time, "assuming that's the case, [AirNav] are to be congratulated - it must have been tempting to use the many enthusiast feeds to bolster the professional network, and it's good that they are resisting that temptation".  I stand by that statement, and I admire AirNav for their stance on this.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

John Racars

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2009, 10:09:03 AM »
Am I missing something?  "Today is the day" came and went and I didn't see a link to the latest public beta 3.0.2. 

Hi Graham,

I am not sure but in the first instance I thought the latest Beta 3.0.2 is for Betatesters only...???
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

simone.simone

• my photos on airliners.net
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2009, 10:20:50 AM »
I still think the best compromise would be to have the Share Flight Data tickbox on the logon screen when you startup Radarbox.
But some people use the "/connect" option, that is very useful.

I'm of my previous idea:
...in my opinion the option could be on when starting for the first time ANRB because an user could normally share his own data, but if an user want to turn it off for any reason, the option must remain off...
What's the reason to ask it any time? Sounds like a cheat...

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
What's the reason to ask it any time? Sounds like a cheat...

Maybe Airnav's business model for Radarbox is to be able to sell-on the real-time data collected from everyone's Radarbox to the professional users.  If they let everyone turn-off their data forever with just one single selection, that may jeopardise their business model.  Just a guess.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »
To those who think we are making millions from ADS-B data your totally wrong.
As you all know the ASD-B data doesn't cover all aircraft or all areas so its not in demand. I won't go further into that as its confidential material to how much we sell etc..

This thread has wondered of its main aim and there are lots of threads which answers the last few posts. Just to put it to bed we will not be changing the way the tick box works for shared data. Why? There are people will who will cause scare mongering for whatever reason to have the share data switched off (for no good reason) and hence yes it will cause a bad affect to the network. As they will continue to leave it off.

The outrage here by some of you is very silly, you would have thought we don't even allow to untick when you read the posts. It simiply requires 2 seconds of you time to switch it off.

To those saying the network should be free, we are sharing data etc.. Please have a look through the forum where we explained how much the network costs to run.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:52:58 AM by AirNav Support »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2009, 12:09:55 PM »
I guess if you really want to permanently prevent sharing of flight data, you could block port 7878 on your firewall.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2009, 12:15:30 PM »
Indeed Tarbat, we personally think customers who bring up thing point always bring up if we share data I want something back in return. The tick box isn't there main issue, its the network data they want to use for free.

If we would give it to you for free we would but we need to make sure we stay out of the red as company.

Anyway the vast vast majority see this as none issue. We were pleasantly surprised by the uptake of the network subscription after all the posts we had on the forum.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 12:17:12 PM by AirNav Support »
[email protected]

simone.simone

• my photos on airliners.net
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »
It simiply requires 2 seconds of you time to switch it off.
Requiring an user intervention every time, it's like wishing in a forgetfulness...and this is not right.
I don't think that the option should be off by default, in fact it should be on. But if an user for some reason, for example legal one, wants to turn share off, you cannot require him to remember this every time. The software must observe the users's will, and when restarting the ANRB the software change automatically an option from OFF to ON, this is not happening.
Obviously you are free to do what you want with you software, but try to think what it's right and common sense for a generic user that can incour into juridical problems.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:27:56 PM by simone.simone »

jgrloit

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2009, 01:28:35 PM »
I wonder how soon Airnav would change the software options, if they were used as part of the defense by a user, when charged with disclosing restricted information, from an unlawfull intercept!!!
Bear in mind that even Microsoft now give consideration to European laws after the EU fines.

Airnav the comment that it may be unlawfull to share in some area, and then forcing the option to share ON is NOT a defense in UK and European law.
A patch to support the change, possibly via a registry patch - would be an option.
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

John Racars

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2009, 02:05:29 PM »
Indeed Tarbat, we personally think customers who bring up thing point always bring up if we share data I want something back in return. The tick box isn't there main issue, its the network data they want to use for free.

Hi Support,

I totaly agree. I personaly do not use the network verry often because I have more then enough of my own receptions. But it gives me always a great pleasure to know that I can share my data with the other members on this forum. For free.....

And for all to be sure: I have a subsciption to listen to the network. I have no problem to pay for that because I know that AirNav have to make costs to maintain this service.

Hope this helps!
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2009, 02:24:26 PM »
Thanks John, your views are similar to 90% of our customers.

jgrloit,

You have made a mistake "and then forcing the option to share ON is NOT a defense in UK" We are not forcing anyone, the tickbox is there hence it is a choice, its just the extra 2 seconds that a customer will need to do if he doesn't want to share.

You forget the in those 2 seconds nothing is shared anyway as the data is 5 minute delayed.
[email protected]