anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox 2009 - 3.01 Beta - Part 2  (Read 71452 times)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox 2009 - 3.01 Beta - Part 2
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2009, 10:51:03 AM »
Personally, I think the option should be unchecked by default

I don't personally have any problem with sharing my flights data, but (as RadarBox itself reminds us on the Preferences screen) "in some countries it may be illegal to share flight data"

If you are living in one of those countries and don't wish to break the law, the best advice is to untick "Process hardware flights" before shutting down RadarBox.

That way, next time you start up, it will help you to remember to untick the "Share flight data" before re-enabling processing, secure in the knowledge that you won't have inadvertently shared any data and needn't fear prosecution.  I'm sure AirNav would support that.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

GlynH

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2009, 11:02:54 AM »
You beat me to it DC.

Preferences should reflect the users preferences - not the manufacturers.

That's why it is there surely?

I fully understand the commercial reasoning behind it - although I do not agree - and in fact strongly resent the fact it always defaults to on despite being turned off by the user of the software who has invested a considerable sum of money and amount of time in the package.

Having said that and unlike some others however I personally have no problems with supplying 'free' data to AirNav's servers and wish to share the data I receive with others as IMHO anything that I can do to further AirNav's profile ultimately has to benefit me as a user.

For that reason mine will always be set to on despite my never using the network myself but I believe ultimately we should have the decision and AirNav should respect our choice - or preference. :-)

By defaulting to on every time the app is run all it does is reinforce the resentment towards AirNav for those users who for their own reasons would prefer not to share their data.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth and does nothing to enhance AirNav's reputation amongst their users IMHO.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Deadcalm

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2009, 11:06:19 AM »
I can see what you're getting at, Dave, however, if that is a consideration then the onus should be on the manufacturer to disable the sharing feature by default if it is likely to contravene laws in disparate countries, rather than risk allowing the user to inadvertently transgress local legislation by forgetting to uncheck sharing, which wouldn't necessarily be a defence upon prosecution.  Food for thought.

I would have thought it to be in Airnav's interests not to leave themselves open, after all, they instigated a five minute delay for the same basic reason, and without allowing the user an option to change this feature.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

simone.simone

• my photos on airliners.net
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »
Preferences should reflect the users preferences - not the manufacturers.
I agree, in my opinion the option could be on when starting for the first time ANRB because an user could normally share his own data, but if an user want to turn it off for any reason, the option must remain off, otherwise the software is going against the users's will.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2009, 05:20:04 AM »
but if an user want to turn it off for any reason, the option must remain off, otherwise the software is going against the users's will.

I also agree with this, but as Airnav sell the data their users donate to them for free (knowingly or otherwise) to other airnav customers for up to EUR € 1399.95 per year you can see why Airnav don't want us to easily have that ability.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2009, 06:11:07 AM »
Personally, I don't think that it is too difficult to turn off one option if you really feel strongly about not sharing.  I wonder how many other programs that we all use feed back information to some anonymous person or organisation without even telling us that this happens - unless you read the REALLY small print.  I use Google Chrome browser on my Netbook and Laptop - have you taken a look at the small print in Chrome :-0

I've got no issues with the default setting for sharing being 'on'.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2009, 06:30:07 AM »
DATABASE ENTRY PROBLEM

When editing the database I have found that when I try to enter a hyphen in a cell the key acts on the map and zooms it out but does not enter the hyphen in the cell. Anyone else found that?

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2009, 06:40:50 AM »
I also agree with this, but as Airnav sell the data their users donate to them for free (knowingly or otherwise) to other airnav customers for up to EUR € 1399.95 per year you can see why Airnav don't want us to easily have that ability.

No.

AirNav have said previously - and I'm sure they will take this opportunity to confirm - that the data they sell to commercial users is derived from an entirely separate network of RadarBoxes and doesn't make use of the feed from the likes of us.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2009, 06:58:02 AM »
AirNav have said previously - and I'm sure they will take this opportunity to confirm - that the data they sell to commercial users is derived from an entirely separate network of RadarBoxes and doesn't make use of the feed from the likes of us.

According to their website that is not the case.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/order.html
You will be able to see in real-time  all the traffic received by all RadarBox units all over the world.

Interestingly is also says the data is real-time, which would indicate the data sent to AirNav themselves doesn't have the 5 minute impediment that we have when exporting the data ourselves.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:02:01 AM by pjm »

Allocator

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2009, 07:01:13 AM »
DATABASE ENTRY PROBLEM

When editing the database I have found that when I try to enter a hyphen in a cell the key acts on the map and zooms it out but does not enter the hyphen in the cell. Anyone else found that?

Tom

Are you sure that you are really entering a hyphen and not the 'minus' '-' symbol?  Using a full size PC keyboard, I can enter a hyphen (to the right of the 'zero' key) into the database with no problem. but if I hit the 'minus' key on the numeric section of the keyboard on the right, then the map correctly zooms out.

I wonder if you are using a laptop where there are less keys and some of them have double or even triple functions?

Allocator

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2009, 07:09:07 AM »
so if we don't give our data free to airnav our rb will be no different from sbs-1
see the dilemma? if we want to see data from other places we have to share, if we don't share no network, even if we pay for the privilege
frank

I beg to differ - even without the Network, our RadarBoxes will still be better than the SBS-1 due to the superior user interface, regularly updated software, comprehensive alert functions ......... :-)

Honestly though, it's a matter of personal choice.  Share or don't share, pay for the Network or don't, but the 'outrage' that some feel about this whole issue does make me laugh.  The Internet had lead people to always expect something for nothing and I'm the first in the line here too - but I also believe in sharing my knowledge and experience in any way that I can for the benefit of others and that's what most people do here on the forum.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2009, 07:25:33 AM »
Interestingly is also says the data is real-time, which would indicate the data sent to AirNav themselves doesn't have the 5 minute impediment that we have when exporting the data ourselves.

See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2160.msg18114#msg18114
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:36:46 AM by tarbat »

Deadcalm

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2009, 07:31:41 AM »
Allocator, you seem to miss the point, either deliberately or otherwise - most of your posts infer a vested interest in the product, come what may.  That's your prerogative.

However, if you issue a product with a manufacturers warning that a feature of its use may be forbidden in certain countries, common morality (and sense) SHOULD dictate that, if that feature is provided as an option, it should be disabled by default if the alternative is liable to impugn the integrity of the user, and render him (or her) liable to possible prosecution in those countries.

Otherwise, some unsuspecting user could well be involved in a legal process, and his protests that he "didn't know" would not serve as a defence.
I think if I were in that position, I'd sue the manufacturer for negligence.

If Airnav are as altruistic as they make out by delaying network traffic for five minutes for a similar reason, then there is no real excuse for not making sharing an option which is defaulted to "off".  Unless of course it is not in their interests commercially.

Besides, if as you say, it's not a problem for most users, then surely it is just as simple for the option to be "off" to start with, with the user option of turning it on.

What all this has to do with providing you with yet another opportunity to knock the competition, heaven only knows.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

Allocator

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2009, 07:39:08 AM »
Allocator, you seem to miss the point, either deliberately or otherwise - most of your posts infer a vested interest in the product, come what may.  That's your prerogative.

What all this has to do with providing you with yet another opportunity to knock the competition, heaven only knows.

DC

Give it a rest DC - can't you lighten up a bit, it is Sunday morning.

I don't mind you having a pop at me again for stating my opinions, I'm pretty thick skinned.  Of course I'm biased, I know what product I prefer as an owner of both market leaders.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2009, 07:46:02 AM »
Honestly though, it's a matter of personal choice.  Share or don't share, pay for the Network or don't, but the 'outrage' that some feel about this whole issue does make me laugh. 

One mans 'outrage' may be another's 'hypocrisy'.

It seems obvious that we should be able to control the data we receive. If we want to 'share' it then we should be able to, not at someone else's whim. Likewise if we want to process it data real-time we should have that option.

Seems as owners of the hardware don't control it, or even have the same capabilities of someone on the other side of the world to be able to use it to its full capability.

Imagine the 'outrage' if you bought a Panasonic TV and Panasonic sold tickets that allowed someone else into your home to watch it, or if you bought a Toyota and they sold people tickets to ride in it (and you got nothing back to boot!)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:56:02 AM by pjm »