AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Google Map & ANRB  (Read 12333 times)

dl1812

Google Map & ANRB
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:31:27 PM »
Hi All,

Came across this site :

http://radar.zhaw.ch/radar.html

Is there a programme that would allow me to do this ?
As I've already admitted on here, I have the IT knowledge of an eggplant, so I may well have missed something obvious ?

Cheers

Dave L
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:33:58 AM by AirNav Support »

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
Re: Google Earth & ANRB
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:10:35 AM »
Squawkbox lets you do it with Google Earth if you only want to view it locally, but the results are delayed 5 minutes.

If you are trying to publish it to a website I don't know...

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Google Map & ANRB
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:35:10 AM »
I have changed the title of the thread as your actually looking for a google map output.

We do provide a  5 minute delayed feed so a clever person can make it into something similar. However I would suspect its not for the novice programmer or user to setup.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:56:28 AM »
Incidentally, it's interesting that, according to the FAQ on the site, the system shows real-time aircraft positions - apparently with the full knowledge and permission of the Swiss CAA (BAZL).
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

dl1812

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
So, well beyond my capabilities then :o(

I did have a look at squawk Box. Unfortunately however a 5 minute delay is of no use to me, so I'll just stay content with what I have :o)

Thanks all

Dave L

Fenris

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 07:43:07 PM »
Incidentally, it's interesting that, according to the FAQ on the site, the system shows real-time aircraft positions - apparently with the full knowledge and permission of the Swiss CAA (BAZL).

So there are some enlightened and sensible countries then?

bratters

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 08:10:24 PM »
So there are some enlightened and sensible countries then?

As far as I'm aware there are no "real-time" restrictions in the UK.

In fact as it is, strictly speaking, illegal to publish ANY data gained from illegally tapping licenced transmissions, no specific restrictions are necessary.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:12:19 PM by bratters »

Fenris

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »
As far as I'm aware there are no "real-time" restrictions in the UK.

In fact as it is, strictly speaking, illegal to publish ANY data gained from illegally tapping licenced transmissions, no specific restrictions are necessary.

The day will come when holding back the tide simply no longer works.

DaveReid

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 10:39:24 PM »

Quite correct.  However the law is one thing, and custom and practice is another.  Publishing live data, screenshots, etc, is likely to attract unwanted attention, whereas I've never heard of anyone encountering problems as a consequence of putting delayed data on the web.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

bratters

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 07:10:57 AM »

Quite correct.  However the law is one thing, and custom and practice is another.  Publishing live data, screenshots, etc, is likely to attract unwanted attention, whereas I've never heard of anyone encountering problems as a consequence of putting delayed data on the web.

I'm not so sure about that Dave. I've had a look into things in the UK - albeit a bit superficially - and conclude that the whole area is so "grey" in terms of the various bodies involved and the courses of action open to them, that the actions of a handful of "plane-spotters" are not life-threatening - and are extremely unlikely to result in any prosecutions.

This 5minute delay business originated in the States and relates as much as anything to the Sale, not security, of data by the FAA. Airnav are stuck with a 5 minute delay imposed by the USA and therefore would have continuity difficulties if Europe was real-time. 

No doubt this will attract some comments!! Ah well.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 07:31:58 AM »
I'd love to see an option to turn off the 5 minute delay in countries other than where it is a legal requirement.

Given that the ads-b transponders report their GPS location this should be an easy firmware fix to implement (possibly with a user configuration switch, should they wish to restore the delay themselves)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 07:38:57 AM »
pjm,

Your post is a little confusing. The data sent from aircraft is 100% live and is shown on the RadarBox 100% Live when picked up from your antenna. Only network data and data outputted through RadarBox ports to external applications is 5 minute delayed.

bratters,

A few sites in the past have tried to broadcast live ATC of Heathrow and were forced to close down.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 09:09:37 AM »
The data sent from aircraft is 100% live and is shown on the RadarBox 100% Live when picked up from your antenna. Only network data and data outputted through RadarBox ports to external applications is 5 minute delayed.

Apologies, my post was in relation to the network delay, or the delay from port 3003 (or whatever port programs like squawkbox et al get their data from) to programatically display the information, such as in google earth or publishing to a web site). Not in relation to the Radarbox local display.

DaveReid

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 09:21:14 AM »
This 5 minute delay business originated in the States and relates as much as anything to the Sale, not security, of data by the FAA.

I disagree.

The FAA will not countenance the supply of undelayed ASDI data (which is free, not sold, by the way) to any organisation which has not undergone an audit to satisfy the FAA that it has a legitimate need for live data and that it will not pass on or re-supply such live data to any other organisation that doesn't satisfy the same criteria.

bratters

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 04:13:32 PM »
This 5 minute delay business originated in the States and relates as much as anything to the Sale, not security, of data by the FAA.

I disagree.

The FAA will not countenance the supply of undelayed ASDI data (which is free, not sold, by the way) to any organisation which has not undergone an audit to satisfy the FAA that it has a legitimate need for live data and that it will not pass on or re-supply such live data to any other organisation that doesn't satisfy the same criteria.

Quite right Dave - clumsily put by myself.  Let's re-phrase it: if Airnav are a direct or indirect subscriber receiving ONLY the delayed feed there are no audit requirements and the information may be used for profit, as far as I can see.

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:u8IzyGeg9TgJ:www.fly.faa.gov/ASDI/asdidocs/Overview_of_ASDI_Audit_Process_v1.2.pdf+faa+asdi+feed&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&ie=UTF-8

http://www.fly.faa.gov/ASDI/asdidocs/ASDI_Subscribers.pdf

I had heard somewhere before of the clampdown on re-broadcasting ATC though whether the two scenarios are comparable, I'm not sure. I suspect the public broadcast of ATC even with a five minute delay might also get hammered.

On the other hand live flight info. seems to be widely available in the UK and I've yet to hear of any threats to that. And I can trace no reference to five minute delays in the UK on safety or any other grounds.

Grey areas abound.