AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wrong Routes  (Read 6610 times)

DeeJay

Wrong Routes
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »
Have seen a few lately. Today saw BAW394 (EGLL-EBBR,did check database and found to be correct), but route showed as EDDH-EGLL. Tried unchecking/checking hardware flights,  but remained the same.Running Beta 3.0. Is this one of the snags that will be rectified when the full version is released

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: Wrong Routes
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:29:13 PM »
Have seen a few lately. Today saw BAW394 (EGLL-EBBR,did check database and found to be correct), but route showed as EDDH-EGLL. Tried unchecking/checking hardware flights,  but remained the same.Running Beta 3.0. Is this one of the snags that will be rectified when the full version is released

If it helps, the aircraft that operated the BAW394 from Heathrow to Brussels had previously arrived from Hamburg/EDDH as the BAW965.

That's probably what you saw.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

DeeJay

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:42:12 PM »
Thanks for reply, but thought that route was achieved by matching the flightnumber against the database. For example, in the same session,  heard TSO444 on the radio, but flight showed as TSO333 (the inbound flightno UUDD-EGLL) but shortly after, the crew must have input the correct fltno TSO444, and the correct route , EGLL-UUDD appeared.

DaveReid

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »
Thanks for reply, but thought that route was achieved by matching the flightnumber against the database. For example, in the same session,  heard TSO444 on the radio, but flight showed as TSO333 (the inbound flightno UUDD-EGLL) but shortly after, the crew must have input the correct fltno TSO444, and the correct route , EGLL-UUDD appeared.

Your understanding is correct - the route is derived from the last known flight number for the aircraft concerned.

But that's the point - the departing aircraft will appear on RadarBox as soon as it pops up within range of a receiver (because it's squittering its position twice every second).  However the flight number can't change to that of the new flight until a transmission containing the new flight number is received.  Flight IDs are only sent as a squitter every 5 seconds, or in response to a Comm-B interrogation from a Mode S radar, and not every one will be picked up and decoded, so it's quite common to see a flight initially showing the flight number from the previous sector.  It may well be that RadarBox does the route lookup at that stage and doesn't refresh the route subsequently - I don't know if that's the case or not.

Or are you suggesting that there's a database somewhere that shows BAW394 as EDDH-EGLL, and it's only coincidence that that's the previous sector flown by the aircraft concerned?

One thing's for sure - crews don't mess about changing the Flight ID after they are airborne, they have plenty of more important things to do.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

DeeJay

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:57:13 PM »
Dave R. Thanks for your detailed explaination.

b777200er

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
While we are talking about routes, it will not supply route info for AWE (US Airways) flight here in the US.

Donnie

mighty3507

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 02:39:56 AM »
While we are talking about routes, it will not supply route info for AWE (US Airways) flight here in the US.

Donnie

I noticed the lack of route info for AWE also. I did see one US Airways flight using the prefix of USA instead of AWE and the route info was displayed.

I found this the following info on airframes.org:

US Airways (USA / U S Air) and America West (AWE / CACTUS) finished their merger 2008-09-01 to use consolidated ICAO code USA and ICAO callsign CACTUS under the name of US Airways, but finally changed ICAO code from USA to AWE on 2008-09-19.

Maybe the the switch in ICAO codes is causing an issue??

--Steve

leedsrhinos

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 04:04:06 PM »
DaveReid you mention in a reply on this topic about a Brussels flight and being able to determine what journey the same aircraft undertook prior to that. Is there a means of identifying the daily movements of a particular aircraft?

DaveReid

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »
DaveReid you mention in a reply on this topic about a Brussels flight and being able to determine what journey the same aircraft undertook prior to that. Is there a means of identifying the daily movements of a particular aircraft?

If you mean built-in to RadarBox (or SBS) then personally I've never found a way of doing it.

But having said that, I've been trapping the socket output from both my SBS and, latterly, RadarBox and using the data for my own database, which currently holds about 7 million flights over the past three and a bit years.  Of course that's still no guarantee that my box will have picked up the previous flight for any given aircraft, but the flight in question was a Heathrow departure and I'm fortunately in a good location to log all LHR ADS-B movements, hence I knew the inbound flight number and route.

I hope that makes sense.