AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: JSTARS For RadarBox  (Read 25928 times)

abrad41

Re: JSTARS For RadarBox
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 03:25:10 PM »
Works very well with V3.01 beta.

Great bit of software, Thanks Rob

cheers

Andy

JSTARS

• JSTARS Software
JSTARS latest version 1.2.3 available
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 09:43:52 AM »
JSTARS v1.2.3 full version

JSTARS v1.2.3 quick update version  (it contains only jstars.exe file)

available for download

New features:

- New automatic daily log sender feature, based on time choice
- Minor updates

JSTARS Data - 25 July 2009
download updated version: 102799 civilian, military, governative, general aviation aircrafts etc.., 3474 military/governative aircrafts)

John Racars

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »
Hi Rob,

Can the program be used for report functions? Reports I like to make are daily reports of flights being in my area of reception the day before with all informations of the flights like starttime, callsign, route-information, a/c registration, a/c type etc.
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 10:34:39 AM »
John,

JSTARS reports the following details as shown in the picture.

To get route information would require access to a separate database as route information isn't transmitted by the aircraft - then we would all be back in the situation of 'The route database is out of date' :-0

The time shown is effectively the start time, but there is no end time.

Why don't you try JSTARS, as it's free to use with some functions disabled, but you can create custom data files with Notepad and the logs are written and can also be viewed with Notepad.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:37:42 AM by Allocator »

Allocator

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 11:03:15 AM »
A quick summary of what JSTARS does for those that are interested - at least as far as I understand :-)

- JSTARS reads the live AIR and ID messages from RB port 30003 (and these are live, not delayed even in the latest RB software)

- JSTARS then compares the received hex code against its own database and fills in the aircraft registration and owner details.

- JSTARS comes with 3 databases - Global (everything), Military or Custom.  If you just want to use the Global and Military databases, the author updates these regularly and they are available for download from the JSTARS website.

- The Custom database is initially empty, but you can edit this with any txt editor to include what you like.  The fields are separated with the'|' symbol.  See a small section of my Custom data file below.

000017|J-064|F16|Netherland Air Force
000022|K2661|IL76|Indian Air Force
0000CC|FA|F-16AM|Belgium Air Force
0000DC|FA|F-16AM|Belgium Air Force
000A11|165158|C130T|US Navy
0070C8|--|F15|US Air Force
0070C9|--|F15|US Air Force
008C75|ZS-ESA|GLEX|Rwanda Government
01006B|SU-AYD|FA20|Egypt Government
01006C|SU-AZJ|FA20|Egypt Government
01006D|SU-AXN|FA20|Egypt Government
01006E|SU-BGU|GLF3|Egypt Government
01006F|SU-BGV|GLF3|Egypt Government
010070|SU-BGM|GLF4|Egyptian Air Force
01007D|1280/SU-BAL|C130H|Egypt Air Force
01007E|1281/SU-BAM|C130|Egyptian Air Force
010081|1284/SU-BAQ|C130|Egyptian Air Force
010085|1288/SU-BAU|C130|Egyptian Air Force
010086|1289/SU-BAV|C130|Egyptian Air Force

If you register, then you can also use the JSTARS data editor to make changes to the file.

- JSTARS allows you to select one on the 3 data files for use when logging aircraft, so my Custom file is a mixture of Military aircraft and those others I'm interested in, like the A380's

OK, those are the basics.  There is an auto email option in the registered version, a data editor and viewer, a screen capture and FTP upload function (haven't tried this) and a few other bits and pieces.  It's a small, clean, efficient (and very cheap) program that might not do everything that you want, but what it does, it does very well.  I'm sure that the author would be receptive to any requests for development if anybody has any good ideas.

No, I'm not on a percentage here, I just like this program and want to encourage the author to keep developing it ;-)

John Racars

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 11:14:37 AM »
- The Custom database is initially empty, but you can edit this with any txt editor to include what you like.  The fields are separated with the'|' symbol.  See a small section of my Custom data file below.

Hi Allocator,

Thank you for your informations!

Does this mean that I can use this "Custom database" for (exemple) a routedatabase like my local RB routedatabase?
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

Allocator

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 11:16:57 AM »

Hi Allocator,

Thank you for your informations!

Does this mean that I can use this "Custom database" for (exemple) a routedatabase like my local RB routedatabase?

John, no you can't use a custom route database, only a custom AIRCRAFT database.  There is no system in the JSTARS software to take the aircraft Flight ID and then look this up in another database.  If displays the Flight ID as transmitted by the aircraft, but it doesn't do anything with it.

Allocator

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »
A small pointer for you if you are trying JSTARS and are not getting any data - if you are running a Firewall, you need to grant JSTARS access to the RadarBox port 30003 data.  I use ZoneAlarm and the first time I run a new JSTARS exe, I get the pop up window 'Do you want to grant JSTARS.exe access etc".  JSTARS isn't accessing the Internet, just the port 30003 data from RB.

This is just the same as when you run RadarBox for the first time - it shows that your Firewall is watching out for you :-)

radarspotter10

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 12:43:30 AM »
hi.
it says jstar.ini. does not exist,what am i doing wrong.
from pat

JSTARS

• JSTARS Software
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 05:54:02 AM »
Allocator - thanks for your wide explanation about JSTARS, I could not do it better :-)
and yes... you are helping me to follow its developing... but it's my big pleasure first, because I am the first user of it (I wrote JSTARS to help my monitor activity :-P)

John - JSTARS is able to get log of airplanes detected by your radar but it's not able to get any data routing (information added by radarbox software, but not sent from airplane transponder).

radarspotter10 - the first time you install JSTARS on you PC, JSTARS.INI doesn't exist.
You must create it simply going to Settings/Options and fill form with data requested. Giving OK/Save you will create automatically a JSTARS.ini to keep your settings.

For others - actually two users of RadarBox are reporting that JSTARS is not able to work, failing its reception of raw data from RB on 30003 port.
Inquiries are in progress.
An user sent me a raw data view, taken with raw viewer (application inside JSTARS) and I've discovered that only MSG type of data was arriving. JSTARS doesn't decode MSG type, only ID/AIR.
Maybe RadarBox has any options to adjust this output???

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 06:22:13 AM »
For others - actually two users of RadarBox are reporting that JSTARS is not able to work, failing its reception of raw data from RB on 30003 port.
Inquiries are in progress.
An user sent me a raw data view, taken with raw viewer (application inside JSTARS) and I've discovered that only MSG type of data was arriving. JSTARS doesn't decode MSG type, only ID/AIR.
Maybe RadarBox has any options to adjust this output???

Make sure you are using the latest RadarBox beta release - it outputs the full range of message types including AIR and ID.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Allocator

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 06:50:11 AM »
Dave is absolutely correct - you must be using the latest Beta version of the RadarBox software, thanks to Dave, port 30003 does now put out the correct information whereas earlier versions didn't.

Allocator

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 08:02:03 AM »
And you need the JAVA runtime too.

.:: Requirements to run JSTARS ::.

- PC/Windows (tested on MS Windows XP Pro, in MS Windows Vista, it could give some problems due to safety features of this Operative System) enough power to run BaseStation software by Kinetic Avionics
- JAVA Enviroment installed version 6 or above. Get it here: JAVA for your PC by SUN.
- Kinetic BaseStation running for real-time logging features
- AirNav RadarBox running for real-time logging features (not supported yet - coming soon)

- Less than 10 MByte on your HardDisk

Frank

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 08:16:56 AM »
 There might be another reason why Jstars is not working

Because I live in the Netherlands (it's quite nice here,you know) I use Dutch for my Regional Settings. The only way out for me to let the port 30003 output of the Radarbox work together with Jstars is to change my Regional Settings into English (United Kingdom). Then the program works great!.

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »
There might be another reason why Jstars is not working

Because I live in the Netherlands (it's quite nice here,you know) I use Dutch for my Regional Settings. The only way out for me to let the port 30003 output of the Radarbox work together with Jstars is to change my Regional Settings into English (United Kingdom). Then the program works great!.

anybody any idea why this should happen?
15 Miles East of EGNJ