AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nothing being tracked  (Read 3846 times)

mjread

Nothing being tracked
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:20:42 AM »
I received my RadarBox yesterday and unfortunately I'm unable to track anything at all.
I am receiving details about numerous aircraft, however none of them are showing any location details and are therefore not appearing on the map.
I know this information is being broadcast as I tracked one particular aircraft using the network coming over Malaysia, yet when it appeared in MyFlights when it hit Singapore I received location details at all.
I know reception is key, and whilst I do live on the ground floor I would have expected that I should at least pick up the full details for some occasionally as I live only 5 miles from the airport.  I've also tried it on the 14th floor of a building (10 miles away) next to a window and also have the same issue.
I am using the antenna that come with the unit and am not using a USB extender (I noticed discussions surrounding the same problem being experienced, but that is not the issue in this case).
Whilst there are buildings in the way and therefore not proving completely clear line of sight, should I really be receiving absolutely no location details at all when I am picking up all the other details for aircraft which I am guessing (based upon arrival/departure times) are probably up to 100 miles away.
I am reluctant to buy a better antenna if it is not going to resolve the issue.  Is it possible I may have a faulty unit?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Nothing being tracked
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:42:56 AM »
Hi mjread,

Aircraft will be sending out ADS-B if they have ADS-B transponders otherwise you will get Mode-S replies from then when interogated by a radar site (there are some exceptions).

The Mode-S data packet is smaller and hence easier to recieve rather than an ADS-B position data packet which is larger and more likely to suffer from reception noise.

If you antenna is placed in a bad reception location you may only be able to pick up the Mode-S data packets.

Are you in Singapore or elswhere? as Singapore will have lots of ADS-B traffic (Singapore Airlines, Emirates have ADS-B in nearly all there aircraft). I would try and take the RadarBox to open a location where you have a view of the airport and you know there is nothing blocking your RB antenna and the aircraft.

It is unlikey it would be faulty if you are recieving other messages to what you indicate could be up to 100 miles away.

Have a go in testing it in the open first near the airport or with a clear view of aircraft.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

mjread

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:21:56 AM »
Thanks for your reply, although it was unfortunately what I was fearing.  Yes, I am in Singapore and being as close to the airport as I am I did have high hopes.  I'll take it for a walk at the weekend and see what the outcome is.  To be honest I think you're right and I'm just going to confirm what a sucky location my apartment is.
Should it be the case that everything with the box is fine, bearing in mind that I am receiving absolutely no ADS-B at the moment, I'm on the ground floor surrounded by other buildings, and am unable to attach anything to the outside of the building, do you think I would be just throwing good money after bad by buying a better antenna?

neroon79

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:39:28 AM »
... I'm on the ground floor surrounded by other buildings, and am unable to attach anything to the outside of the building, do you think I would be just throwing good money after bad by buying a better antenna?
INMHO: Yes. Because, also a special 1090MHz outdoor antenna -which you can't install-  needs "direct view" to the sky, if you want to use its full performance potential.

The only things helping are:

1. Clear view without any obstacles.
2. Placing the antenna as high as possible over the ground. (Which hopefully results in 1. )
For further range improvements:
3. Special 1090MHz outdoor antenna.
3a. Amplifier for the outdoor antenna.
3b. Low Loss cable like the Ecoflex 10 / Ecoflex 15.(if you have some money to waste) / Keep cable lenght as short as possible.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:47:16 AM by neroon79 »
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

radarspotter10

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »
Thanks for your reply, although it was unfortunately what I was fearing.  Yes, I am in Singapore and being as close to the airport as I am I did have high hopes.  I'll take it for a walk at the weekend and see what the outcome is.  To be honest I think you're right and I'm just going to confirm what a sucky location my apartment is.
Should it be the case that everything with the box is fine, bearing in mind that I am receiving absolutely no ADS-B at the moment, I'm on the ground floor surrounded by other buildings, and am unable to attach anything to the outside of the building, do you think I would be just throwing good money after bad by buying a better antenna?
hi mjread.
go for a higher antenna.
in my house a bungalow if you place the aerial on my bedroom window i would get say get 20 aircraft loca,l if i go to the the bathroom window i get say 50 aircraft and in my computer room window about 35 aircraft, that's how it works in my house.
all the best with your new toy.
from pat ireland

mjread

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 05:43:51 AM »
An update…

So, I've just taken the RB for a walk down to Changi Beach which is right at the end of the runway.   If I was a little taller I'd probably be able to jump and slap the bellies of the aircraft as they come into land, in other words I'm not going to get any closer or have any better line of sight without actually physically being on them.

The results... confusing.

Picking up on average around 30-40 aircraft at a time.  Only 2 to 3 of them are ever tracked though - and here's the strange part, never in or near Singapore airspace.  Those it successfully tracked were always around 50-100+ miles away.
I followed one particular flight which it tracked coming in over Malaysia destined for Singapore, however at around 50 miles out it failed to track it anymore, however it remained within my list (it fell out a couple of times but came back within a couple of mins) and updated all other information right up until it flew over my head down onto the runway.

Any idea what is going on here?  It seems like Singapore and the immediate surrounding area is an ADS-B black hole.

Mark.

Terry

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 05:06:46 PM »
Hi there mjread,
                        I visit S`Pore every year (got relatives living in Upper Serangoon) and as you know this area of the world is the pyrothechnic capital of the world so please be aware that the RB does NOT like static,so if a storm is iminent disconnect the antenna if possible,i`ve been in many and they are quite violent indeed.

Regards Terry.