anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New RadarBox SQLite Database  (Read 6457 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
New RadarBox SQLite Database
« on: October 28, 2007, 10:13:05 PM »
As stated on previous posts we are currently developing AirNav RadarBox 2007 software, version 1.4. It will feature a completely renewed MyLog feature that uses a SQLite database instead of in-memory tables like V1.3. This reduces the ammount of RAM usage by the application in more than 70 Mbytes (much better performance).

We have been approached by some users regarding the problem of having different databases in different product (RadarBox database and SBS-1 database) that do exactly the same.

So our question is: do you prefer AirNav RadarBox to import your current SBS-1 database data and from that point start using only RadarBox database or you prefer AirNav RadarBox to edit SBS-1 database and keep it's own too?

We want to have a definitive solution for this and not leave it as an option to the customers as it would create too much confusion. The better would be to have a standard central database that is common to both RadarBox and SBS-1 but I'm sure we will not have the cooperation of our competition to do this (we are open for that and I'm sure this would be what users would like to have).

Now your opinions...

Protzenalp

Re: New RadarBox SQLite Database
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 10:16:46 PM »
AirNav RadarBox to edit SBS-1 database and keep it's own too

Is my choice as a second best to the standard central database (which I understand is highly unlikely).

Mike

b744

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 12:22:05 AM »
Well done for getting users involved. I, personally would like to use my own SBS data for use with RB. The current database has ,by no fault of Airnav,got data that is in conflict with what is now known to be correct.
If a user has a choice, I would like my own data and then be able to update and correct as new info comes to light.
Many thanks

b744

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:26:27 AM »
Just to clarify database matters, to be fair to your competition, they have no input to database contents at all and when you first use SBS its database is empty and you populate in whatever way you choose.
The benefit,and sorry to repeat myself, is that it writes ALL new contacts to the database and you can fill in the gaps yourself either manually or by use of GAS or a paid for database utility.
Progress sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.
Rgds

lennox26

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 03:00:17 PM »
I would go for importing my SBS data into Radarbox and maintaining a seperate Radarbox SQL database afterwards.

A common database if there is a failure would lead to total loss of data but 2 dtabases meay mean you get some of the dat back to start again.

The SQLite database used by SBS is good and conatians al the information needed.
but as stated prviously it starts off empty and you fill it up

palmar

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 08:04:25 PM »
A field definition of a public database is by no means covered by a copyright or any other license. Imho there is no problem in using the SBS-1 database structure for Radarbox.

kispo

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 11:30:04 PM »
Hi

This is indeed a major improvement to ANRB!
About DB design, well I believe to take the SBS DB design as a starting point is a good idea but I believe it could be much better! I hope the ANRB Dev Team will do it...

b744

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 11:41:54 AM »
having seen what others have posted and what is on offer from a number of sources, I think an sql database capable of importing an SBS based sql file and then with other refinements is the best path to follow.
There are now starter databases provided by commercial database companies and also those created by the excellent mode-s user group on yahoo which will give the RB user a very good start point from which to use the RB, with a full(ish) database which is updated at the users choice.
Roll on December please