anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Forum Interference / Problems  (Read 66965 times)

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Forum Interference / Problems
« on: June 26, 2009, 01:10:16 AM »
HadNav - the closed beta testing worked fine - we picked up a lot of bugs, and suggested improvements, many of which were acted on.

If you want a stable, relatively bug-free system, don't bother with beta versions - they are, by their very nature, designed to find problems and stimulate ideas. I wouldn't even contemplate trying the Windows 7 beta, but I'm happy to play with the RadarBox Beta because I love the system and care about its future.

Anyone who downloads a beta version of any software should tolerate problems, and deal with them constructively, and not criticise the developers when problems occur. Beta users are there to help, essentially becoming part of the development team.

If you had had to pay for the beta version, I would understand you grumbling about it. But even the final version will be a free upgrade - try getting the same deal from Microsoft! It's fine that you have decided to go back to version 2, but I hope that all the beta users will, as is generally the case so far, be constructive in our attempts to improve what is already a great system.

Just my opinion :-)

Rod
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:12:42 AM by RodBearden »
Rod

CowboyNut

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:12:41 AM »
Since no response of a update 3.0 exe file on the 25th from AirNav Dev or Support.
I will also go back to 2.01 software.  Too many bugs to stay with the 3.0 first release.
I can't baby sit it all day.  To make sure it doesn't stop responding.

They should get a new beta team next time.  That will do some rigorous testing.
A good beta tester will actually try to find bugs/errors in the software by trying different combinations, or make sure the help file/FAQ pages is updated for 3.0

HadNav
I have gone back to 2.01.
V3 Beta is too flakey for me at the moment. It needs a major update!
The closed beta test obviously didn't work!

CowboyNut

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 01:26:50 AM »
I'm sure other users were waiting around on the 25th. To update the beta 3.0 version with a newer release.  No word from AirNav on a newer release date.  Us public beta users shouldn't have to ask for a updated release date.  AirNav should just update us without asking.  We are here to help.  Don't make us ask for a update on a new release date.

RodBearden
Anyone who downloads a beta version of any software should tolerate problems, and deal with them constructively, and not criticise the developers when problems occur. Beta users are there to help, essentially becoming part of the development team.
Rod

HadNav

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 02:00:04 AM »
I stand by what I have said. This issue seems a bit Alpha. Alerts worked in 2.01 but no longer work in V3 beta! How did that get past a closed beta test? I have been involved in beta tests in the past. Tivo - when they were last involved in the UK. We were set test questions! And discussed in a beta test separate forum, which is what is needed here at Airnav forums. It was open to other users!
We were all originally expecting 2.10 not V3 beta!

EMA

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 02:13:19 AM »
The developers at Airnav are working hard to resolve these issues. Looking at previous version update threads on this forum Airnav were under pressure to release the beta so everyone could have a play but if you want stability then it is best to stay with the official release.

HadNav

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 02:18:13 AM »
EMA we were expecting 2.10 not a v3 beta that hadn't until now received peer pressure from users!

EMA

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 02:35:20 AM »
I understand your frustration but you did say in a previous post

How many ticks in this countdown to V3.0 public beta or full release? Testing a beta with a few people doesn't catch many bugs!

Now they have opened up the Beta people have the choice to test it or remain with the official release.

I am sure Microsoft will have fun with Windows 7 :-)

GlynH

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 05:38:16 AM »
Any update when it's going be release around the 25th ?

AirNav Development
PS: we will try to have a new exe ready by Jun 25.

AirNav are going to regret setting a date for this...don't you ever learn Support? ;^)

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 05:58:16 AM »
It's beta software - it will have bugs and it might have bugs that weren't in the previous version.  Anybody who has been involved in software production will be only too familiar with this fact - it's the nature of the beast.

As for the name - V2.1 or V3.0 - I can't see why people are getting so hung up on this.  I could have been called 'Fish' for all the difference this makes - lol

The beta works great on my desktop and laptop.  It's quicker and displays more aircraft, so progress is being made.  It's only when you release software to the wider community that the testing really starts.  I see also that the beta testing team are under attack too - as I've said before, some people you just can't please :-(

EMA

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 06:58:32 AM »
Any update when it's going be release around the 25th ?

AirNav Development
PS: we will try to have a new exe ready by Jun 25.

AirNav are going to regret setting a date for this...don't you ever learn Support? ;^)

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

I read it as they will TRY that is not really a commitment, but as Allocator says you cannot please everyone. Hopefully it will not be too long I know the plotting of aircraft is fixed so we are moving forward.

John Racars

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 07:12:47 AM »
It's beta software - it will have bugs and it might have bugs that weren't in the previous version.  Anybody who has been involved in software production will be only too familiar with this fact - it's the nature of the beast.

Hi Allocator,

I totaly agree with you! Beta software = testsoftware too. You must always espect that it is possible that bugs are in ore some other errors. If people do not like that they should not use the beta software and wait for the final version.

With me in general the version 3.0 is working, much quicker and displays much more aircraft as well. Bugs I have seen did I report to support allready and they are working on it.
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

abrad41

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 07:53:55 AM »
Posted by: RodBearden 
Insert Quote
HadNav - the closed beta testing worked fine - we picked up a lot of bugs, and suggested improvements, many of which were acted on.

If you want a stable, relatively bug-free system, don't bother with beta versions - they are, by their very nature, designed to find problems and stimulate ideas. I wouldn't even contemplate trying the Windows 7 beta, but I'm happy to play with the RadarBox Beta because I love the system and care about its future.

If you had had to pay for the beta version, I would understand you grumbling about it. But even the final version will be a free upgrade - try getting the same deal from Microsoft! It's fine that you have decided to go back to version 2, but I hope that all the beta users will, as is generally the case so far, be constructive in our attempts to improve what is already a great system.

Just my opinion :-)

I Second this

As for the name - V2.1 or V3.0 - I can't see why people are getting so hung up on this.  I could have been called 'Fish' for all the difference this makes - lol

I Second this too

Just let AirNav get on with what they are doing, they are working hard on behalf of all of us. Those of you, who think you are getting a rough deal - thank god you don't have a SBS.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 07:55:58 AM »
We can only stress this is a beta version so expect issues. This is not a full release, anyone thinking it is and replying to posts like it isn't helping anything.

The closed beta testers have appeared on the forum and have backed up there testing. This is just the nature of beta testing thats bugs are sometimes only found when lots of users are testing it trying different usage patterns. The new update is being worked on and as EMA mentioned there has been test patches send out to a few customers so work is being done. We hope to have an update late next week, again that depends on whether the mini pacthes get the thumbs up.

We do thank customers for testing the beta version and helping us.

P.S Just a side note we are still being "attacked" by people who are trying to undermine RadarBox & AirNav (usually jealous competitors). CowboyNut who posted earlier in this thread is one of these people (he signed up under this username after his old username was banned after continual attacks, spam and false comments) Please be aware of this.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 07:59:45 AM by AirNav Support »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 08:41:50 AM »
Airnav

The genuine users/supports are right behind you and appreciate all the hard work being carried out. I think we have spotted certain people, and the tone of replies to them seems to reflect this.

Just keep up the excellent work, we are right behind you.
15 Miles East of EGNJ

vonsmalhausen

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 09:36:32 AM »
overall, i'm verry pleased with V3.0 ; much faster on my laptop then V2.1
only with the FIX stations i have a real problem, can't use them anymore as there are simply to much of them, but this has been said several times before, so i hope this will be FIXed in a further update.

one strange thing i want to report : to show the Custom legend on the map, i have to UNSELECT "Draw Home Location Legend" !? otherwise the custom text i have in that list get superposed over the standard "Home" text, with the custom box unselected, i get the custom text on the map and "Home" dissapers.
i only got the custom text working after i saw the tip about the decimal setting in configuration, so thanks for that.