AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problem Installing Hardware  (Read 16945 times)

Matt Howard

Problem Installing Hardware
« on: June 21, 2009, 02:02:10 PM »
I have just purchased RadarBox. It says New 2009! on the box.

However, when I plug in the hardware, my computer simple does not recognise it. I have read the help section with the software, but I don't get any of the messages that it says there.

Please help!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Problem Installing Hardware
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 02:13:05 PM »
First step is to check in Windows Device Manager under the USB section.  Do you see Airnav Radarbox listed there?  Or an unknown device listed?

Then the FAQ at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=786.0
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 02:21:07 PM by tarbat »

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 02:31:04 PM »
I have just purchased RadarBox. It says New 2009! on the box.

However, when I plug in the hardware, my computer simple does not recognise it. I have read the help section with the software, but I don't get any of the messages that it says there.

Please help!

Almost certainly it means that you haven't got the correct driver installed.  See this help video:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/video/Drivers.wmv

Matt Howard

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »
Thanks for that, but I haven't even got to this stage of proceedings yet!

When I click on my USB controllers, it doesn't say RadarBox, just 'Unknown USB Device'

Any ideas?

Thanks

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 02:55:32 PM »
Follow the instructions in the FAQ I linked to.  That will install the correct drivers.  Double click on the "Unknown Device", and update the drivers.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 02:58:58 PM by tarbat »

Matt Howard

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:36:49 PM »
I followed the tutorial all the way down to selecting ftdibus.inf. When I click OK, I get the following message:

"The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

Any ideas?

Thanks. Matt

Fenris

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
I followed the tutorial all the way down to selecting ftdibus.inf. When I click OK, I get the following message:

"The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

Any ideas?

Try deleting the Unknown device entry and then plug the RB back in, when it asks for the driver location supply the ftdibus.inf file you've used already.

Before you do that, check that the .inf file contains what you would expect it to, namely USB vendor and device IDs and appropriate names etc.

vruma

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 10:08:46 PM »
I would suggest using another USB port or a powered USB hub. The message "unkown USB device" might indicate that the USB port you plugged the Radarbox into, does not supply sufficient power (try disconnecting other USB devices if no other USB port is available).

Matt Howard

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
Tried other USB ports. Tried uninstalling and plugging in again, then updating driver with ftdibus.inf file myself. Still getting the same message as before: "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

Surely it shouldn't be this complicated to set up?!

Thanks in anticipation,

Matt

Allocator

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »
Matt, It's really east to set up unless you let Windows "do its own thing" and install drivers automatically :-0

After that, it's a bit of a pig to convince Windows that you want to use another driver!

I'll just read back over what you've been trying to do and see it I can offer any advice!

Allocator

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »
Matt,

Try this, and tell us at what stage you run into problems:

- With RadarBox plugged in via the USB cable, open up the device manager and look at your devices, including the "Unknown Device"

- Unplug the RB USB cable, does the Unknown Device disappear, or does another USB device in the list disappear - we need to make sure that you are actually trying to install the driver to RB, not some other random device.

Right, can you get this far?

savagegrave

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:29:10 PM »
Matt, It's really east to set up unless you let Windows "do its own thing" and install drivers automatically :-0

After that, it's a bit of a pig to convince Windows that you want to use another driver!

I'll just read back over what you've been trying to do and see it I can offer any advice!

im having same prob.  now 12 hours have gone by and all i get is cant start device.

Allocator

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 09:31:10 PM »

im having same prob.  now 12 hours have gone by and all i get is cant start device.

OK, so have you tried the above?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 09:33:40 PM »
savagegrave, isn't yours a Vista 64-bit problem.

Matt Howard, are you also running Vista 64-bit?

savagegrave

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 09:38:10 PM »
savagegrave, isn't yours a Vista 64-bit problem.

Matt Howard, are you also running Vista 64-bit?

i have 2 comps, one with vista 32 and 64. so far cant get the driver to work on either, have read all the links etc and my screens look like all the screen shots. 

tried straight usb conection but no avail, really need the ethernet conenction as pc its going on (vista 32) is in a basement, so need the ethernet to run to rb.

im out of options otherthan totally wiping everything and going back to xp, however 50% of essential software i run is vista.  :s somewhat disheartend by this product....  (sorry guys, but after 12 hours of searching internet for a solution im out of ideas)

ps works fine on friends xp laptop!