anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Missing Aircraft Types in My Flights  (Read 15663 times)

mighty3507

Missing Aircraft Types in My Flights
« on: June 19, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
I noticed this issue as I started to take a closer look for increased flight ID's when running 3.0 beta. It appears that only Airbus and Boeing aircraft types are shown with silhouettes in 'my flights'. I did check a screen shot  I saved when running 2.0 and the same issue was there. I guess I really did not notice the issue prior to running 3.0.

I realize that not every aircraft in 'My Flights' may be displayed with a silhouette. However, I would think I would see the MD-80 and MD-90 series.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct the problem?

Thanks,

--Steve
  Chino Hills, CA

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Missing Aircraft Types in My Flights
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 07:32:43 PM »
Looks like an auto-populate problem.  I guess many US aircraft aren't fully populated in the GAS database.

You could use Database Explorer to update the ICAO Aircraft type field (AT).  That will then ensure the correct silhouette appears.

Instructional video at http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/video/Edit_Type.wmv
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:42:33 PM by tarbat »

mighty3507

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »
Tarbat,

Thanks for info. I did follow the instructions on the linked video and it did work. I tested using A7F02D. This is a Cessna 560XL Citation Excel. I checked with the GAS db and found the ICAO a/c type listed (C56X). I also checked one of my missing American Airlines MD-80s. The a/c type was also listed in GAS.

I know this is not a large sample. However, seems like something else may be going on.

--Steve

EGNXR

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 08:10:13 PM »
Hi all,

I thought this was a known problem that was being looked at as I have to spend a lot of time every day manually updating these. There is also the issue of BC-A, BKC3, BKC5 shortcodes populating from somewhere.

John
Based in Derby 5Nm NW of EGNX

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 08:12:58 PM »
Part of the problem may be that once your database has got "..." in the AT field, it will never get corrected from the Airnav servers (derived from GAS).

You could delete the record from database explorer, and that should force Radarbox to get more recent data from the Airnav servers.

EGNXR

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 08:30:05 PM »
Hi Tarbat,

Most new contacts populate as "..." in the AT field, its only boeing,Airbus that populate correctly. Along with BC-A for Boeing C-17's. McDonald Douglas C-17's populate "..."   K35R's populate as BKC3 or 5, FF-1 for F16's FF-2 for F27's.

I've manually updated my Navdata so its only the last 3 new contacts that now req updating. I'll post another screenshot when there are a few more to show.

John

Edit - Sorry McDonnell Douglas C-17A Globemaster III (Unless you want fries with it)  ;-)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:20:47 PM by EGNXR »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 08:34:04 PM »
I run a weekly SQL report on my database looking for "..." and blank in the AT field (among other things), and then populate these from GAS.  I actually enjoy the weekly task of reviewing new aircraft, checking the data, etc.  But I realise not everyone enjoys it!!

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »
tarbet are you manually populating these entries?
15 Miles East of EGNJ

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 08:37:44 PM »
No, I've got a process (documented in an earlier thread) that exports the ModeS codes from RB, imports that into an empty Basestation database, and then use SBS-Populate to get the data.  Then I export from the Basestation database, and import back into Radarbox.

I've added an extra field in the aircraft table to indicate when I've completed this process for each aircraft.

Well, you did ask!!

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 08:38:47 PM »
any chance of a point to the thread, pretty please
15 Miles East of EGNJ

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »
tarbat you are a star, many thanks
15 Miles East of EGNJ

CowboyNut

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »
quick search found this about the ... / BKC3 in the AT field.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2673

EGNXR

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
I run a weekly SQL report on my database looking for "..." and blank in the AT field (among other things), and then populate these from GAS.  I actually enjoy the weekly task of reviewing new aircraft, checking the data, etc.  But I realise not everyone enjoys it!!

Its good you can use SQL. I've only just started dabbling with it.

But should the short type not autopopulate anyway?

I don't mind some manual updating, I expect it, but this is tedious to do every day.

Has this feature always not worked or is it something with my set up? (vista/XP)?

The whole point of me buying a Radarbox as opposed to an SBS-1 was not to have to mess about with additional programs. I want to look at the screen not the software behind it.

John

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »
But should the short type not autopopulate anyway?

Yes, it should.  But sometimes when you FIRST see an aircraft, the GAS details aren't complete.  So it populates with "...".  What's needed is a way to force an update at a later date, and that's what Airnav need to develop, in my opinion.