AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High Resolution Airfield Outlines  (Read 47434 times)

MikeC

Re: High Resolution Airfield Outlines
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »
Thanks CoastGuardJon.

I used to live in Wootton Bassett!

darkskies74

• AOR 8000. Station EXTSHA196235
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 05:33:54 PM »
Just changed Manchester EGCC to High Res, looks amazing, however, its just slightly too far south, and any aircraft landing or taking off are doing so on the terminal buildings! :o(
Any suggestions?
Was 32 NM SSW of YPPH.......where the sun shines.
Previously 31NM NNW of EGCC....where it didn't shine!
Now back near EGCC, Oh, how I miss the sun!!!

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 05:40:15 PM »
The high res outlines are spot-on for me - lining up wth the RadarBox runway centreline.

Are you sure that it's not the aircraft you are watching that are transmitting wrong positions? Watch out for older models of Boeing 737's - they are usually equipped with intertial navigation, which can send wrong data. Later models, including B738's and A319's are usually accurate.

Rod
Rod

darkskies74

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 06:30:43 PM »
Ta for that, i'll keep a look out for newer a/c.

Air Malta A320 is taxiing pretty fast tonight on screenshot ;o)

darkskies74

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »
Great, seems ok with new a/c! How do you save your choice of colours? Keeps resetting when I restart

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 08:13:31 PM »
Yup - pretty nippy, those Maltese Airbuses!

Once you've changed your colours, use the Export button on the same Preferences screen. Export it as Default.mcl. There used to be a bug-ette (feature?) where RB would also load Real Radar.mcl instead of Default, so export it as that as well and you'll be covered.

Rod
Rod

Pinza

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 08:35:06 PM »
Once you've changed your colours, use the Export button on the same Preferences screen. Export it as Default.mcl. There used to be a bug-ette (feature?) where RB would also load Real Radar.mcl instead of Default, so export it as that as well and you'll be covered.

Great tip Rod - have just tried this and hope it remembers all my settings next time I restart!

darkskies74 - not sure which hi-res outlines you're using, but try going into File/Preferences and tabbing across to Map colors - then change General Type 30 to yellow.

You might then see taxiways showing as well

Chris

darkskies74

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 09:39:42 PM »
Thanks Rod & Chris, much better now.

Running v3.11, loads up faster, pic downloads faster, its great!!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 09:27:49 AM »
I have been asked to point out that these High resolution airfield outlines are created for Kinetic and are Copyright to Kinetic.

And beware if you are using these outlines and then posting images (eg via. FTP).  Be sure to make it clear that the high-resolution airfield outlines are created for Kinetic and are Copyright to Kinetic.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:46:25 AM by tarbat »

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 10:19:50 AM »
I have been asked to point out that these High resolution airfield outlines are created for Kinetic and are Copyright to Kinetic.

And beware if you are using these outlines and then posting images (eg via. FTP).  Be sure to make it clear that the high-resolution airfield outlines are created for Kinetic and are Copyright to Kinetic.

Yes, in fact that will hold for pretty well any outlines that are published on the Net, whether copyright is explicity asserted or not, although many enthusiast outline authors take a fairly relaxed view.

The only exceptions that I'm aware of in the public domain are some generated by the flight simulator community (I may be wrong about those) and the ultra-high-res ones published by the FAA under the auspices of its Safe Flight 21 program, which are superbly detailed, albeit a little out-of-date now.

Having said that, if you reproduce something that's being given away for free in the first place, it's fairly difficult (though not impossible) for the original copyright holder to demonstrate that they have suffered loss or damage as a result.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 11:15:25 AM »
In this case it was the fact that the published image asserted that is was copyright to Airnav that caused concern to the copyright holder.  That's because the Screenshot and FTP functions in Radarbox apply a copyright message "© 2010 Airnav Systems LLC", when in fact the image may contain outlines that are copyright to others, such as Kinetic.

And I guess that where people are using public domain outlines, they should be careful to ensure that these are also not asserted to be copyright to Airnav.

As I said in my reply to the email from their representative, I think it’s important that people understand where the copyright exists for the high-resolution outlines.  A lot of work obviously went in to creating them, and it’s good that things like this can be shared across the various products.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:17:05 AM by tarbat »

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »
RadarBox is totally compatible with Kinetic outlines and addons so you can easily upgrade to RadarBox and continue to use your old system addon applications and outline files.

Despite not being needed as RadarBox is an all-in-one package, we have dozens of users running port 30003 addon applications with RadarBox.

There is a site where all these addons are freely available:
http://www.sbs-resources.com

Feel free to go there, download and use addon applications. They will work without any problem with RadarBox.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:29:22 PM by AirNav Development »

Halcones

• Author Kinetic Hi-res outlines
    • SBS-resources
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 01:29:14 AM »
Hi all,
Just thought I would say hello and introduce myself...
My name is Paul, and along with my college Rick, we created and run SBS-resources for Kinetic Avionic Products Ltd., as well as producing the High Resolution outlines, which, although designed for the SBS-1 range, are also (apparently) compatible with the RadarBox.
The hi-res outlines were devised by myself at the end of 2008 to enable people who use their box mobile or have a good view of an airport, and can track aircraft from the gate, through the holds, and where an aircraft touches down etc on a runway, as the usable runway does not always mean the total length of tarmac/concrete indicated on other outlines.

The next update to the SBS-resources package is being released this coming Saturday (13th February) at the open day being held at ML&S Ltd. in Chertsey (UK).  The online version will be available from Monday the 15th February 2010.

The airfields included in the next update are as follows:
Aberdeen
Adelaide
Atlanta
Antwerpe
Belfast City
Berlin-Schoenefeld
Berlin-Tegel
Biggin Hill
Birmingham (V2.0)
Blackbushe
Blackpool
Boscombe Down
Bordeaux
Bournemouth
Brisbane (V1.1)
Bristol
Brize Norton
Brussels
Cambridge
Cardiff
Cologne
Compton Abbas
Copenhagen
Coventry
Cranfield
Doncaster (V1.1)
Durham
Dusseldorf
Duxford
East Midlands
Edinburgh
Elstree
Exeter
Fairford
Fairoaks
Farnborough
Filton
Frankfurt-Main
Gatwick
Geneva
Glasgow (V2.0)
Gloucestershire
Hamburg
Haneda
Hannover
Hawarden
Heathrow (v1.2)
Kemble
Las Vegas
Lasham
Le Bourget
Leeds/Bradford
Lisbon
Liverpool
London City
Luton
Lyneham
Manchester (V1.1)
Manchester-Barton
Manchester-Woodford
Manston
Melbourne
Mildenhall
Newcastle
Newquay
Norwich
Odiham
Palma
Paris-CDG
Paris-Orly
Plymouth
Prestwick
Redhill
Ronaldsway
Schiphol
Shawbury
Shoreham
Southend
Southampton
Stansted
Sydney
Venice
Warton
Wolverhampton
Woodvale         

And to show that we are not resting on our laurels, Glasgow was one of the very first hi-res airports tackled...
New imagery has been released now, and as such a much better Version 2.0 of Glasgow is being included in the next update.

Techniques and technology have improved a lot since the original outlines were created, and with a far more accurate plotting tool now available to us, hopefully we will re-visit some more of the older files as time allows.
Why airside roads? A lot of airports are now equipping airside vehicles with full ADSB...  To save vehicles driving in the middle of a void onscreen, roads are added, and all is now well!

An update to a previous thread on this forum, the correct colours for the Kinetic Avionic  Products Ltd. outlines are:

Taxiways/Holds User 6                = Needs to be a yellow
Buildings User 5                         = Needs to be a dark grey
Grass Runways/Taxiways User 4 = Needs to be a green
Taxiway User 3                          = Needs to be pastel blue
Taxiway User 2                          = Needs to be pastel orange
Taxiway User 1                          = needs to be deep red

As the colours/setup are designed for the SBS-1 I cannot advise to the colour (or should that be color ;-) ) allocation needed for the RadarBox.

I hope you will take time to look at what is available within SBS-resources and hope you enjoy the updated version coming this weekend.

To keep up to date with developments on the hi-res outline, please take a look at:
http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8316&start=0

Regards

Paul
SBS-resources.com
Paul
sbs-resources.com

radarspotter10

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 01:49:07 AM »
hi Halcones.
Thanks for the free High Resolution outlines.
from pat

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 07:31:20 AM »
An update to a previous thread on this forum, the correct colours for the Kinetic Avionic  Products Ltd. outlines are:

Taxiways/Holds User 6                = Needs to be a yellow
Buildings User 5                         = Needs to be a dark grey
Grass Runways/Taxiways User 4 = Needs to be a green
Taxiway User 3                          = Needs to be pastel blue
Taxiway User 2                          = Needs to be pastel orange
Taxiway User 1                          = needs to be deep red

As the colours/setup are designed for the SBS-1 I cannot advise to the colour (or should that be color ;-) ) allocation needed for the RadarBox.

Would it be possible to upload an image to show what your Glasgow outline, for example, looks like in colour/color ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour