AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: November 2007 Radio User  (Read 5492 times)

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
November 2007 Radio User
« on: October 21, 2007, 03:03:52 PM »
Hi all,

There is an article on Radar Box in the November issue of Radio User the majority of which is excellent. Unfortunately they have got a major bit of information wrong, which I have pointed out to both AirNav, for information and the Radio User Editor.  AirNav have advised me that they did not see the content of the article before publication so where unaware until I advised them.

The article is saying that you can use RB without attachment to the internet , it makes no reference to the need for the connection to the internet to enable the obtaining of photos or GAS updates and implies that you can also still get Network traffic without the connection!  Now if that were true I would LOVE to be able to do that as it would save loads of hassle and make on-the-road use fantastic :-)

Regards

Mike

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: November 2007 Radio User
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 03:16:49 PM »
You don't need to be connected to the internet if you already have the photos already on your computer. Of course it is impossible to have all the world's aircraft photos and data on your computer always updated (without a source of updates). Also there is already an extensive aircraft database in the software. GAS updates are just that, updates.

So the article is totally correct. :-)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 03:56:19 PM »
I use RB on my laptop away from an Internet connection.  I just copy the contents of the Data directory across to the laptop, and that gives me enough photos etc to make it worthwhile.

I'm actually using the SBS-1 antenna when I use the laptop, as I don't really want to take the RB antenna down each time I want to use the laptop.

AirNav support, you didn't get back to me when I asked if it was possible to purchase the RB antenna by itself - it performs better than the sbs antenna when connected to RB.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 03:59:53 PM »
Allocator,

Apologies, they are not available on there own at the moment. We are trying to get this changed and will advise when it is possible.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 04:22:24 PM »
No problem, the standard RB antenna just seems to work really well even though it doesn't look very impressive.  It's also nice and light to carry around :-)

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 01:06:57 PM »
I use RB on my laptop away from an Internet connection.  I just copy the contents of the Data directory across to the laptop, and that gives me enough photos etc to make it worthwhile.

Yes but the main reason for my comment and saying the article is wrong is they are implying that you can see network traffic without an internet connection.

Mike