anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water logged antenna cable ?  (Read 4486 times)

EINN-07

Water logged antenna cable ?
« on: February 04, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »
Hi all,

I have my as supplied antenna sitting on the rain gutter at the corner of the house. It is sitting on the as supplied groundplate. The antenna wire runs down to the study window. I had made a water loop in the wire just outside the window. We've had extremely wet weather since the start of the year. As a precaution I always disconnect the RB from the antenna when not in use in case of lightning. Today when I went to attach the RB to the wire I noticed a drop of water on the swivel nut on the SMA connector, although there was no trace of water on the outside of the wire. When I checked the path of the wire it was ok. I dried off the connection with a hair drier but every ten minutes when I check it appears there's another tiny drop of water on the nut. Only conclusion I can reach is that the water is getting down through the shield in the wire and is overcoming the water loop by virtue of capillary action and 2m of head !  Anyone experienced similar ?

All the best

Gerry

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Water logged antenna cable ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »
My RadarBox antenna has been sitting outside on a Velux window for months and I haven't had this problem.  It's quite possible that water could be getting in though, as co-ax does tend to attract moisture.