anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lost info / Bulgarian Mig  (Read 6059 times)

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
Lost info / Bulgarian Mig
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:55:43 PM »
Hi All, just got my laptop back from A---, still not fixed yet, but lost all my stored stuff!  Would it be possible to pick the collective brain for websites etc. worth keeping?
I`ve had a Bulgarian Mig showing, MS = 3B9BE3, can`t be right?
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Lost info / Bulgarian Mig
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:10:52 PM »
Hi Anorak - may I be the first to suggest www.airframes.org? There you can look up Mode S codes and discover that what you had was a French Navy Dassault Falcon :-)

Rod
Rod

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 04:21:28 PM »
Hi Anorak - may I be the first to suggest www.airframes.org? There you can look up Mode S codes and discover that what you had was a French Navy Dassault Falcon :-)

The logic (I use the term loosely) that populates aircraft details tends not to work well where military aircraft are involved.

I understand that there's a possibility this will be fixed in the medium- to long-term, but not AFAIK in the upcoming V3.0 (as it's dependent on external lookup sources).
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »
DaveReid: If the logic of adding military aircraft, in your opinion, is not good, and if we continuously add suggestions made by users to upcoming versions why don't you report what is wrong and send it to us?

Please report erroneous cases and we will implement corrections.

DaveReid

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:37:12 PM »
DaveReid: If the logic of adding military aircraft, in your opinion, is not good, and if we continuously add suggestions made by users to upcoming versions why don't you report what is wrong and send it to us?

Please report erroneous cases and we will implement corrections.

Gladly.

I did discuss the flawed logic in a previous thread, but since I can't find it, here's a summary:

Mode S code from aircraft -> lookup the registration/serial in the internal database (or external lookup source if not found) -> search for that registration/serial on Airliners.net and, if found, download the aircraft details and photos.

Please correct me if that's not how it works.  If it is, then maybe we can proceed to examine why, for example, picking up that French Navy Falcon produces photos of a Bulgarian MiG and a Hungarian Gripen.

I'm trying to be helpful here, but the first part to fixing any problem is to acknowledge that it exists !

This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 04:50:19 PM »
Currently we get all the details from GAS, not from airliners.net.
Is airliners.net database better than GAS?

DaveReid

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 04:53:36 PM »
Currently we get all the details from GAS, not from airliners.net.

Now I'm confused.

GAS has the correct details for the aircraft we're discussing. 

So if not Airliners.net, where did the MiG and Gripen details come from ?

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »
Negative, our mistake. we get aircraft/company data from airliners.net
But who guarantees which is more reliable between GAS/airliners.net? There will always be errors on both sides.

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 04:59:32 PM »
Thanks Rod, been without the Box too long. Don`t wont to send my laptop back to A---, but will have to.
Reading the Forum is just like having a family, lots of help and support with the odd squable, but I wouldn`t be with out it.
Thanks, Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

DaveReid

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 05:23:05 PM »
Negative, our mistake. we get aircraft/company data from airliners.net
But who guarantees which is more reliable between GAS/airliners.net? There will always be errors on both sides.

With respect, you are completely missing the point.

It's not about which source is "more reliable" - it's about what information you can reasonably expect to get from each.

You can't look up Mode S codes on Airliners.net - it's not designed to do that.  And anyway, once you have looked up GAS, or airframes.org, or any other online sources that you are currently evaluating, you already know the aircraft type, MSN, etc.

But then you choose to throw away that aircraft type information and instead fire the registration/serial at Airliners.net and accept the details that it returns.

However Airliners.net doesn't care if a registration has been re-used on several aircraft, or if the same military serial is currently in use by a dozen different air forces, and if you blindly accept the data and photos that it returns without verifying it against what you already know from the Mode S lookup, then you must expect users to be confused.

So it's not about accuracy or reliability, it's about exercising a bit of common sense.

EGNXR

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 06:33:54 PM »
Airnav,

Is it not possible to write some programing that takes the data given by GAS. i.e.
MS        AR     AT         AN
3F8519 1025 A310 Airbus A310  and puts this in the search engine properly.

THIS IS A MANUAL SEARCH ON AIRNET

If you just type in 1025 in the search box it returns 455 pictures of various airframes with 1025 as serial, or construction No, or code, but if you search for 1025 and Airbus A310 it returns 35 pictures all of the correct airframe.

So the more specific the request the more accurate the return. This would at least bring up the most up to date photo and not an out of date one. i.e.

ABC123 N100GG GLF Gulfstream IV on GAS, If it search only 4 N100GG and Gulfstream IV it would not populate with the out of date Challenger that wore N100GG before.

Does that make sense. It still would not be 100% accurate bit it would be at least in the high 90's.

Food for  thought cheers John

Based in Derby 5Nm NW of EGNX

jgrloit

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 10:51:43 AM »
I agree on the more specific search requirements.
The GAS search based on Mode-S gives sufficient information, in most cases, to check - or latter validate data from the photographic source.
I very recently had valid data from a GAS and airframes search.
When the aircraft was seen again latter most of the information was deleted from the database tables, as there was no photograph available.
I consider that this should never happen - DO NOT deleted, information only replace it!!!!
The question then arises - how do WE know when to update for reused registrations??
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

puddy

• Puddy's Homepage
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 06:21:21 AM »
Hi All, just got my laptop back from A---, still not fixed
My mate sent is laptop back to a---r 3 times and it still does not work it keeps coming up with a blue screen kiss of death 

puddy
Radar Box & AOR8200 mk3 scanner
South Lincolnshire near Boston (UK)