AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the best outdoor antenna out there available in UK  (Read 4270 times)

atcukmatty

What is the best outdoor antenna out there available in UK
« on: June 06, 2009, 04:37:12 PM »
Preferably under £50. Also i have 20m of RG58 cable would that be any good?

what connectors do i need?

WAL 2T

Re: What is the best outdoor antenna out there available in UK
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
Two top candidates are probably the Watson Radar Extender (£90) or the DPD ads-b antenna which you have to order from the States (USD89).

RG58 is useless at 1GHz. Westflex 103 should be the minimum for that length of  run. N-Type at the antenna end and SMA at the RB end (you can now get the large entry N-types for 10.3mm diameter cable) or a bnc hen use a bnc to sma adapter. The only problem with using thick and heavy cable though is that you might put some strain on the radarbox antenna connector so careful attention to strain relief is required.
Chris

Under the EGGP 27 Centreline & 15nm from EGCC

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:14:52 AM »
The patch lead (N-type to SMA) should help to reduce the strain on the RB connector
15 Miles East of EGNJ

WAL 2T

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:36:39 AM »
I use a mini rf8 patch lead from the bias-t but still have niggling thoughts in the back of my mind about the additional loss in that 1ft piece of cable. Might go and see a shrink ;)
Chris

Under the EGGP 27 Centreline & 15nm from EGCC

gm0lze

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »
SSE Jim 1090SJ mK2.Quality hardware and antenna.Weatherproof and will withstand very strong winds.
gm0lze

Cumulus

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »
SSE Jim 1090SJ mK2.Quality hardware and antenna.Weatherproof and will withstand very strong winds.
gm0lze

It is also one of the few DC gounded antennas and comes with a N(F) to SMA(M) pigtail. Reviewed in the June edition of Radio User.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:18:45 PM by Cumulus »

chassi

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 08:26:11 AM »
Completely agree with comments re ""SSE Jim 1090SJ mK2""...got very good results where I live in N Kent...Am about 380ft above sea level & antenna is about 4ft above the ridge of the bungalow I live in...Max range is in the order of 200miles...I used to disconnect the pigtail when the box was'nt in use but leave it connected now....It survived a thunderbolt which struck nearby back in the snowstorms of February (all power in a wide area around us was knocked out)Excellent service from Jim Finch & his wife...If only all business's were run like Jim & Mariko's...Old fashioned trust & service come to mind.