anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why So Few Aircraft  (Read 3264 times)

jango13

Why So Few Aircraft
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:28:33 PM »
Hi All,
My name is Alan I am 65 and new to AirNav, having had the box for 11 days I am still feeling my way around.
At the moment I am using the supplied antenna inside the house on a upstaires windowsill, my location is about 9 miles out on the flightpath to runway 32 into Leeds & Bradford airport (EGNM).
What I don't understand is the small amount of traffic I pickup going to and from Manchester airport (EGCC)  this is with the Network on or off, (my polar diagram shows way passed Manchester), I have altitude set at 0 - 42000 ft as lots of aircraft pass overhead heading for America.
Taking into account the hight of the Pennines blocking and not all aircraft using ADS-B I still find it unusual there being so few, knowing how busy Manchester can be.
Sorry for the long posting. 
                                        Alan.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Why So Few Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 02:43:49 PM »
Hi Alan and welcome to the forum!

The last time I went to the Manchester Viewing Park with my RadarBox, about half of the aircraft I saw were showing on the RadarBox screen, as not all of them were transmitting position information.  However, all the aircraft showed in the aircraft list.  This was live aircraft only (MyFlights) as I didn't have and Internet connection.

I wonder if you have set the RadarBox filters (Airport) to only shoe EGCC traffic?  This will only work well if the aircraft are showing the correct callsign and your RadarBox is able to convert this into a route that includes EGCC as either the destination or the departure airfield.

I'm watching Manchester airport live and using the Network at the moment, and I can see THY1995 and Mon659M on the ground and MON550 has just departed EGCC for LELC.

Let us know how you have got your RB set up apart from the altitude filters and we'll see if we can help.

jango13

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:51:20 PM »
Hi Allocator,
thanks reply, yes I have Mon,550 on screen at Shawbury.
the settings you mention I will have a look at.
  Alan

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 02:54:02 PM »
Alan,

Here is a thread with a screen shot taken when I was at Manchester.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=746.0

Also, there are some good videos demonstrating how to use RadarBox here:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/video/

This one shows how to watch Heathrow, but the principle is the same for Manchester.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/video/Heathrow.wmv

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:00:14 PM »
Hi Allocator,
thanks reply, yes I have Mon,550 on screen at Shawbury.
the settings you mention I will have a look at.
  Alan

OK Alan,

I'd keep it simple until you get to learn all the options that are available.  I'd remove any filters you have got set, and then just use the Altitude filter as you mentioned, probably showing 0 to 20000 ft.  Then you can centre the map on Manchester and watch the flow of traffic.

jango13

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 03:16:29 PM »
Hi Allocator like your setup,
Went onto quick list and put in EGCC then zoomed out a bit and found about 30 aircraft going from or to Manchester so they are there, I just need to play a bit more and get to understand what everything means, Thanks again for your help hope to see you at Manchester one day although I have not been to the view park, I usually go to the airport hotel at the end of the runway. Alan

Allocator

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 03:58:42 PM »
Alan,

Keep asking those questions, there is a lot to learn and we all have to start somewhere :-)

Regards

Allocator