anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to get better range from my Radar-100 Antenna  (Read 2376 times)

Johnn

• Y'ello
How to get better range from my Radar-100 Antenna
« on: June 03, 2009, 02:30:37 PM »
Hi There, at the moment, I am getting on average 60 miles all around, Though I would like more, It is on a 12 ft pole,
Is the only way to get more range is to put it higher and higher?, though I have no idea how I am going to do that!.
Many Thanks John
Johnn -

radarspotter10

Re: How to get better range from my Radar-100 Antenna
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 02:47:45 PM »
Hi There, at the moment, I am getting on average 60 miles all around, Though I would like more, It is on a 12 ft pole,
Is the only way to get more range is to put it higher and higher?, though I have no idea how I am going to do that!.
Many Thanks John
hi john
it all depends where you live  location  location  location   i get about 60 miles with my supply aerial on my window sill, i personally think the supply aerial is brilliant and when your out mobile its out of this world
height is might is what they about aerial and a good earth keeps away static/noises.
i will say trying moving you aerial you will be surprised at the difference it will make.
all the best from pat

daveg4otu

Re: How to get better range from my Radar-100 Antenna
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »
Is the only way to get more range is to put it higher and higher?,

Short answer is Yes

Long answer is that it may be possible to improve range in some altitudes  by  using an antenna with more gain or a different polar  pattern.

However  there ain't no such thing as a  free lunch - so what you gain on the swings  you will inevitably lose on the rounabouts.
EG: You may   use an antenna that has better gain at  , say, 15-30 degrees above horizontal - but may the sacrifice  sensitivity in the overhead.

All that said - the biggest limiting factor is the radio horizon  from your particular location.

If there is high ground in the way - then the only way  is to get your antenna ever higher.

Here I am 400 feet amsl - I can "see " just over 300 miles to the east straight up the Channel - right into Belgium...but to the west  35-40  miles is about the average.
5 Miles N of BHD at 50.28.28 N/3.30.43W...400ft amsl.

Hampshire, Devon, Dorset and Isle of Wight  Airfields Websites.....
http://devonairfields.tripod.com/index.htm