anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Southwest Airlines  (Read 3515 times)

Triple777

Southwest Airlines
« on: June 03, 2009, 07:28:13 PM »
Hello,

Why i can't see Southwest Airlines flights (via network) when i put WN* or *SW in the smartview setup?

How i can add Frontier airline logo's when they are using only numbers like 126, 777, 229?

Best regards,

Triple777

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Southwest Airlines
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
Hi Triple777

Logos are worked out from the first three letters of the Flight ID, so as SouthWest don't broadcast these letters, the logo can't be worked out, and why WN* won't pick them up at all. As for *SW, I gess RB doesn't like a wildcard in front of a character string, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

That's also why it's virtually impossible to display logos for just numeric ID's - anyone's aircraft could broadcast an ID of 126 or 229.

Development are aware of the problem, but don't expect a quick fix.

Sorry that doesn't help - complain to the airlines!

Rod
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:59:28 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

Triple777

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »
Hello Rod,

Thanks for the reply and it works fine for the Frontier airplanes, i putted *0FR, *1FR, *2FR => *9FR  in the smartview setup.

best regards

Triple777

RodBearden

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:00:22 PM »
Excellent - glad it worked - now we just have to get logos displayed for them - they are there, waiting in the Logos folder!

Rod
Rod

RodBearden

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 09:12:41 PM »
This gets better - I see that SmartView takes a wildcard anywhere - so that N*FE is showing all the FedEx flights - very useful.

Rod
Rod

Brian

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 06:10:22 AM »
Maybe that 'Wild Card'(N*FE) tip should be added to a FAQ page.  Before that tip gets lost on the forum.

RodBearden

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 09:14:55 AM »
Just to summarise this in case anyone's confused:

In SmartView, to watch a fleet, we would usually use, to take UPS as another example, UPS* to capture all flight ID's starting UPS, whatever the registration of the aircraft

But some UPS flights don't have UPS as the frist three letters of the Flight ID, so using N*UP will find aircraft that have the 'standard" UPS N-number registration, whatever the flight ID.

This should capture pretty much all UPS flights, but still isn't guaranteed 100%, as some UPS flights will use a "wrong" flight ID AND have a "wrong" registration.

Rod
Rod

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 11:00:24 AM »
But some UPS flights don't have UPS as the frist three letters of the Flight ID, so using N*UP will find aircraft that have the 'standard" UPS N-number registration, whatever the flight ID.

Bear in mind that you will also get some false positives, like FA50 N200UP of UPC Aviation Services which was around a couple of days ago, since UPS don't have the monopoly on N*UP registrations.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 11:05:52 AM »
Dave

Agreed but it at least gives us a few to sort through rather than either nothing or hundreds
15 Miles East of EGNJ