anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: File Back Up  (Read 3844 times)

Paulc

File Back Up
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »
A mate of mine had a total hard disk failure on his laptop loosing all his data files and it got me thinking which files do i need to backup to minimise the data loss when my laptop decides to go to silicon heaven?

daveg4otu

Re: File Back Up
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:07:16 PM »
Basically any/all saved files  such as text/databases/images/video.

With a laptop the best and easiest way to safeguard yourself would be  to backup on an external (USB) Hard drive - even save a  drive image on there  if you wanted.
5 Miles N of BHD at 50.28.28 N/3.30.43W...400ft amsl.

Hampshire, Devon, Dorset and Isle of Wight  Airfields Websites.....
http://devonairfields.tripod.com/index.htm

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:29:38 PM »
Hi Paul and Dave, I've been using my wife's lap-top for the last 18 months (still haven't found the time, or should that be motivation to re-build my desktop PC) and for some reason about 2 months ago, thought of what would be lost if the HDD corrupted - we use Norton 360 as AV/Firewall/Security - so I used its "back up" feature to burn a DVD (some 3GB worth).    About a week later the machine froze up (Acer Aspire 5920 with Vista - I can hear the groans....) - I'm sure it was after one of these automated update download and installation sessions - after re-starting it umpteen times, running the Repair option several times, all to no avail.    I eventually ended up using the Acer complete Recovery option - about 3 hours later, machine up and running, but everything gone, and I do mean EVERYTHING, letter/document files, photos, Favourites - it freed up about 4.5GB HDD space.    I reloaded Norton 360, let machine run all the automated updates, and after a couple of days of smooth operation, stuck in the back up DVD, ran Restore from Norton 360 and got everything back, not in quite the right places to start with, but it was all there, I am now religiously doing a back up DVD clearly dated each month, only a matter of a few pence, may even get a small fireproof safe for belts and braces protection - increasingly all our lives are going on to computer media - has to be worth it just looking after all those photos and irreplaceable memories.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 09:39:09 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

daveg4otu

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 09:25:44 AM »
Yes Jon - a backup is always  a good idea.

This machine has two HDDs/6 partitions and is dual boot Linux Ubuntu and Win XP.

One of the partitions(on the HDD that does not contain the operating systems ) is reserved for Drive images of  the two OS partitions...another  partition contains backups of anything vital ...these items are also backed up across the LAN on another machine.
5 Miles N of BHD at 50.28.28 N/3.30.43W...400ft amsl.

Hampshire, Devon, Dorset and Isle of Wight  Airfields Websites.....
http://devonairfields.tripod.com/index.htm

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:54:44 AM »
Paul

Are you talking total backup or just to recover you airnav data?
15 Miles East of EGNJ

Paulc

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 01:52:56 PM »
I was refering to Airnav data mainly as I do back up all the other stuff - it is just the airnav files that i would not like to loose - 11000+ in my log at the moment in less than a year.

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 02:19:24 PM »
The two main files are in the data folder under the anrb2009 folder. The navdata.db3 and mylog.db3 contain your info and the main database file for the program.

If you have added any outlines these are in the outlines folder.

If is best if you just zip the whole anrb2009 folder and store it somewhere safe.
15 Miles East of EGNJ

bearcat

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 02:24:42 PM »
Hi

It may be best to backup the whole Data folder as it contains other data files/folders that contain your logos, flags etc.

Regards

Stewart