AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Static - earthing antennas - specifically earthing Magmount types.  (Read 27817 times)

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Re: Static - earthing antennas - specifically earthing Magmount types.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 12:30:59 AM »
Hi Dave, using the mains earth for radio and similar equipment is always said to be an absolute No No - PME and interference problems, similarly, how many houses now have a mains water supply using metal pipes, not very many.    That used to be a very good and effective earth.    As I referred to in another post (by Dave, I think) the current issue of Radio User mag. features a "water drill" type of technique using copper water pipe to form a permanent earth, may well be worth exploring.

I'm editing this post as I've just realised I'm verbalising out of my anal sphyncter and must correct the misinformation - the article referred to above in my reply 23 as in the current issue of RadioUser is WRONG - the article referred to does exist in the May issue of a monthly - Monitoring Monthly which features an interesting article Called Hands on ... with Clive Hardy - Low Noise Reception with the earth jet - starts on p 36 and finishes p 40, with several excellent and useful illustrations.     At the end of the article, is listed two web addresses which may be well  worth having a look at   www.welldrillers.org.uk  and www.groundwateruk.org/html/depth.htm
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:58:37 AM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

WAL 2T

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »
Checker- I was thinking along those lines -  I have the  MD1105  Magmount   feeding the  box via a BNC/SMA adaptor- nice metal  surface -  and a  clip  with cable from there seems the obvious and hopefully efficient way....take the cable to an earth rod outside the house.

Wal2T - yes I can  whack an earth rod in  about six feet away  from the  box-  and bolt the earth  cable  to it no problems - just will have to  cut a groove in the concrete path to  drop the cable into(to stop Mrs G4OTU  falling over it ).

There is a  discussion on someone with similar problems on another site  where it has been suggested  hooking the earth wire (from coax shield) directly to the domestic earth - this I think may not be a  safe idea.

Moving from the coax  to the ground plane (Metal tin)...does anyone see  any point in earthing that ?- after all there is no direct electrical connection to the antenna as the magmount itself is encased ina  rubber "boot"...the only  connection  is capacative.

Opinions on the back of a £10 note please!

Good stuff, what I was going to suggest is that you clip a some old braid to the outer ring of the sma connector and run it either directly to the spike or an earth bus (coper pipe connected to the spike) fitted in your house near to the RB. Not sure how effective this would be as I haven't dismantled the base of the antenna to check how it is electrically configured.
Chris

Under the EGGP 27 Centreline & 15nm from EGCC

flightchecker

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 11:51:05 AM »
No-one is twisting your arm to join in this thread, you but must find it of some interest or you wouldn't have!

Your'e right, John. I was trying to help a dutch RB user who suffered static problems, both of us being upset about AirNavs unprofessional behavior in handling his problems. Finally I buildt a small "device" for him to be put in front of the box. Unfortunately I called it "static killer" (which of course was supposed to be a nickname) resulting in a e-mail "dissuation", as Airnav did not like that name at all !!!???.
Things then started to "wind up" as usual. The friends RB never suffered static problems since then after installing the "device" b.t.w.
Anyway, AirNav meanwhile changed their policy if it is about that subject, even "modifying older Instruments"

Have to think about the other suggestions you've made John, somewhat short of time at the moment. Nice to "talk" to you,

Karl

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 02:13:42 PM by flight checker »

daveg4otu

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 01:10:11 PM »
Well the box is now on it's way back to W&S for repair - who hopefully will turn it round and get it back to me quickly.

In the mean time I will earth out the  the antena coax  shield and hope that the  situation doesn't reoccur once reconnected.

Checker   - the "device " interests me- any details available please?

AirNav Support - your figures are impressive - thankyou for publishing them - let's hope this one box doesn't  muck them up ....it is as I've said elsewhere ,a fantastic  piece of gear  so long as it can be made to perform reliably .

Already suffering withdrawal symptoms........................!
5 Miles N of BHD at 50.28.28 N/3.30.43W...400ft amsl.

Hampshire, Devon, Dorset and Isle of Wight  Airfields Websites.....
http://devonairfields.tripod.com/index.htm

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 01:12:09 PM »
Dave

Time to sit down, relax and look skyward, see the contrails and wonder what it is ;-)

15 Miles East of EGNJ

daveg4otu

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 01:18:56 PM »
I'll get my bins out - got the scanner running - and for a few moments here it's not actually raining and I can see  some (not a lot) blue sky!
5 Miles N of BHD at 50.28.28 N/3.30.43W...400ft amsl.

Hampshire, Devon, Dorset and Isle of Wight  Airfields Websites.....
http://devonairfields.tripod.com/index.htm

flightchecker

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »
Checker   - the "device " interests me- any details available please?

Check your e-mail, Dave !

Regards
Karl

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 03:32:11 PM »
Checker

Could you send me some info also sounds good to me also

Cheers
15 Miles East of EGNJ

marcdeklerk

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 04:52:05 PM »
my unit is between 400 and 500 serial and never had any problems. been running flat out!

flightchecker

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2009, 05:51:21 PM »
Could you send me some info also sounds good to me also

No problem malc41:contact me via my e-mail adress, (as I unfortunatly don't have your's - need to attach a few pictures)

I will return ASAP.

Karl
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:39:39 AM by flight checker »

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 07:37:35 PM »
Hi Karl, just looking at your avatar - did you see that baggage container lodged in an engine pod the other day?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

flightchecker

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2009, 03:56:14 PM »
Hi Karl, just looking at your avatar - did you see that baggage container lodged in an engine pod the other day?

Awfull sorry for replying that late, Jon:
it's taken some time until they got me out of the engine again after having been sucked in  as well !!!. Left the hospital meanwhile. Next time expecting your "warning hints" somewhat earlier, may I ?

Kind Regards anyway,
Karl

P.S.: YES ! I've seen the "container"  you mention.
P.S : Will leave the avatar as it is, though I'm looking "slightly" different meanwhile.
K.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 07:18:17 AM by flight checker »

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 05:55:05 PM »
Steady on Karl, or you'll start getting "fan" mail........

flightchecker

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »
The "fan" had been "cool" so far (regarding my misadventure as described above) but  it then got extremely hot on the "further way down".

Jon, we have to stop it here, as otherwise the forum might start to rail at us.

Have a nice weekend (sunny most hopefully as it appears to be here)

Karl

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:55:53 AM by flight checker »

Speedbird London

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2009, 06:14:50 PM »
About static build-up: Surely, we're bothered about the static that is led into the RB from the aerial, (the radiating bit, or, strictly speaking, the actual receiving bit)? The braid of the co-ax may be earthed, and mine always is, whether for HF, VHF or anything else.

Earthing the braid/shield is neither here or there when it comes to protecting the front end of any receiving equipment from static, it's the actual radiating element that's going to conduct static to the innards of the box not the braid, mast or ground-plane.

I have an ATU for a long wire aerial, it has a spark gap built in that will bleed static to earth.  During a thunderstorm once I could hear it clicking as the static bled off - I kept well clear for a while!

You buy spark gap thingies with PL259/SO238 connectors so that you can introduce them into a feedline but I'd be surprised if such a simple assembly would work at 1090Ghz.

OH NO!

My RB has just gone deaf again!!!!!

Serial number: 107XX (What's wrong about putting the full No.?)

It's been repaired TWICE; first repair was SAW filter, it came back better but still deaf.
Second repair was,  "Repairing Dry joints on SAW filter and earthing USB"

Looks like it will have to back AAAGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very dull

Ed