anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Internal networking  (Read 6313 times)

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Internal networking
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:27:52 PM »
Hi all, I know someone will be able to answer this, or suggest a work around.   With the fairer weather arriving, I'm hoping to erect my antennas externally in the very near future.  It was my intention to run a dedicated PC  24/7/365 in the loft with the RB close by and keeping the antenna feed as short as possible, using my main PC downstairs to  access by internal network - Cat 5/6 ethernet lead - but will the RB software let me do this, and would this system cause the 5 minute "security" delay to be triggered - I was planning to upload data to the AN network (not yet registered with network, so I can get the best value from my "free" year's subscription).
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Internal networking
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:31:39 PM »
I've used a Cat 5 Ethernet cable USB extender to keep RB close to the antenna.  I know that some people have had trouble with these, but in theory you can have your RB 45 meters away and powered by the USB extender.

I got mine from Maplin, but it looks much the same as this one:

http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-extension-cat5-usb-extender-premium-up-to-50m/42801.html

Another one:

http://www.cables2u.co.uk/line-extender-extends-upto-p-340.html?gclid=CNqpk-uy7JkCFVOT3wodoG5hSQ
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 10:33:25 PM by Allocator »

abrad41

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:42:57 AM »
CoastGuardJon

Hello mate, Allocator is spot on with this.  I have the very same setup, my RB box is up in the loft and my pc is down in the conservtory. Had no problems what so ever running this setup.

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
Hi Allocator and Andy, I was planning to avoid having to use extended USB leads.   I know Maplins sell a USB booster, but do these really work with RB.   I was intending to use the dedicated PC almost as a server, and access it on the Ethernet port not USB?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »
I use remote access(wireless) to run rb on my laptop. the rb is run on a desktop upstairs but i can use it on the laptop in the garden or just downstairs.

Stuart

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 12:12:06 PM »
Hi Allocator and Andy, I was planning to avoid having to use extended USB leads.   I know Maplins sell a USB booster, but do these really work with RB.   I was intending to use the dedicated PC almost as a server, and access it on the Ethernet port not USB?

The important thing about the CAT 5 USB Extender, is that it isn't actually an extended USB lead - if that makes sense - lol

The USB lead at each end is about 2 ft - and the CAT 5 cable just carried the signal and power, so it's not subject to the usual problems with long USB cables.  For the complication of having another PC in the roof, I'd tend to think of another solution :-)

abrad41

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 12:28:29 PM »
CoastGuardJon

I have been using the same setup for almost 2 years now - Used it with a SBS for about a year then on RB for about the same time.

Never had problem with it yet - touch wood

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 03:45:02 PM »
HI Andy and Allocator, thanks to you both - I get what you were saying now Allocator, I thought Cat 5/6 Ethernet cabling was purely for networking, I didn't realise USB could be passed over it.

Do you think either of these will suffice

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48549#features

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221290

This other one appears to be rather expensive and overkill?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=117428#features

I
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:48:36 PM by CoastGuardJon »

abrad41

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 06:59:09 PM »
I use the second one CoastGuardJon, because I only need the one port.

I see the second one has 4 ports and I don't think you need for, but as I said mine has been working great with option one.

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 09:22:40 PM »
Thanks for that Andy.   Will order one from Maplins whilst they're reduced.

t1mb0

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:07:25 PM »
currently using a 'generic' USB Extender over 20 metres of CAT5 purchased for £24.99 + p&p from Cables 2 U Ltd.
12m SE of EGHI

GlynH

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
Would be a great idea if AirNav could make the RB 'network' or 'multi-user' aware at some time inthe future.

I appreciate that if this were exposed to the WAN then it might impact sales as a few people could club together and buy one box to share so how about making it multi-user aware only over the LAN so any PC in the house only directly attached to the internal network could access the RB?

Would certainly beat using an RDP session and all that screen refresh nonsense that goies with it...

Possible or not?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-