AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Type codes in the database  (Read 34227 times)

ACW367

Re: Type codes in the database
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2009, 11:15:03 PM »
Airnav thank you for your assurance that for you will investigate the issue, I am sorry that this ran as you are very busy trying to launch V2.1, but we were having problems communicating that this solely related to the 4-digit ICAO code and not any wider interpretation of the long aircraft type/owner fields.  

jmhayes

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2009, 05:38:51 AM »
If we get the list jmhayes has mentioned, we can add them.
I gave you a handful of them (and others have mentioned even more), but it's clear that you don't know what's all in your database.  If you want me to track them down, can I bill you for my standard hourly rate?  I'd be more than happy to fix your database: PM me.

jmhayes

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2009, 05:41:44 AM »
Which one do we take as the most accurate data how does main database know which one to choose (especially when some don't have timestamps to show the last updated time)
There's a straightforward way to use database technology to track this, but you've got to want to do it.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2009, 06:31:19 AM »
If you want me to track them down, can I bill you for my standard hourly rate?  I'd be more than happy to fix your database: PM me.

Get in line  :-)

Here's a freebie:

Select * from Aircraft where Aircraft.ICAOTypeCode is Null or not exists (Select ICAOTypeCode from ICAOTypeCodes where Aircraft.ICAOTypeCode = ICAOTypeCodes.ICAOTypeCode)

It's hardly rocket science!
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2009, 07:48:49 AM »
jmhayes,

We orginally thought you just meant the actype table was out of date. Yes the SQL is mentioned isn't hard but thats not the issue here.

The issue is incorrect or no ICAO data ix being passed through into the database. Its better we investigate the feed and stop it getting in rather than dealing with it afterwards.

"There's a straightforward way to use database technology to track this, but you've got to want to do it."

If you know of way then please share it with us.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:52:26 AM by AirNav Support »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2009, 09:37:34 AM »
The issue is incorrect or no ICAO data ix being passed through into the database. Its better we investigate the feed and stop it getting in rather than dealing with it afterwards.

This might be stating the obvious, but if you were to run that query against each of your feeds, before their data gets imported to your database, then you could identify which feed is at fault (as well as using it to trap bad data which has already made it into the database).

I emailed Andre yesterday with a suggestion for another approach to sourcing data, I'm awaiting his response.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

jmhayes

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2009, 03:25:59 PM »
"There's a straightforward way to use database technology to track this, but you've got to want to do it."

How about you clean out what's there, and then watch for new codes and confirm them?  You've been given the authoritative source, a few good examples of what's wrong, and even some sample queries.  All you're lacking at this point is the will to produce and maintain a correct and useful database for your customers.

You're almost there!

jmhayes

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2009, 03:27:19 PM »
Here's a freebie:
Oh great, now you've let out the Super Seekrits of the Database Ultra Masters!

Brian

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2009, 07:23:38 PM »
AirNav Support,
That wasn't my question.  Please go back 1 page and re-read the question.  Stop adding words to my one question when you read it again.  Please I just need 1 link from you.  Please answer it today.... So I can look into other stuff.

AirNav Support
Brian, It doesn't matter what they were as they only used once to populate the database. They are not part of any future updates to the database.

Brian

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »
I agree! Some stuff in the database needs to be "Flushed Out" and "Refresh" with the stuff everyone talked about on this topic.

There's a straightforward way to use database technology to track this, but you've got to want to do it."

How about you clean out what's there, and then watch for new codes and confirm them?  You've been given the authoritative source, a few good examples of what's wrong, and even some sample queries.  All you're lacking at this point is the will to produce and maintain a correct and useful database for your customers.

You're almost there!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:28:45 PM by Brian »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2009, 08:41:06 PM »
Brian,

We didn't add words. You asked for the link because you wanted to get them changed which we simply assume you wanted so it would change in our database. As they don't update this way it doesn't affect the database online.

Other than some sources which we purchased data (we will not release this information) from we used.
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=90&pageid=122
http://www.jetphotos.net/census/

jmhayes,

We agree that would be nice start but the issue arrises when it picks a aircraft in South America which GAS shows the operator as Varig while Airliner.net (or another source) has it has TAM.

I have chosen South America deliberately here  as GAS is great for Europe and good for US but the rest of the world Airliners.net can be better. While we can add some clever code to use airliners for certain countries. There will be times where the data is going to be incorrect as the one chosen is not the latest.

That and the issue of having the local database updated and the icoa feed errors is what we are looking into.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Brian

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »
AirNav Support,
I didn't really needed the links.
I just needed to know the source name.  Such as jetphotos.net , FAA Registry Aircraftinquiry.  Since I know how to use a search engine like Google. but It's always a good idea to post the link if you know it. So everyone spends less time searching.  So they can get a head start on the information they are looking for.
All I wanted to know.  What other stuff those websites might provide.  such as photos, forums, chatroom, local groups, etc etc.  The question didn't really have anything to do with future data for AirNav Database or the like.

Just wanted to look at more photos if those sources had any.

The best way to answer the question was to answer the user question.
Then give a 2nd answer if you think it would provide more information whatever you were thinking in your head. :)

Thanks again for the answer today. 
I go back waiting for 2.10 version.

~Happy Person Now~  :)
-Brian

Brian,

We didn't add words. You asked for the link because you wanted to get them changed which we simply assume you wanted so it would change in our database. As they don't update this way it doesn't affect the database online.

Other than some sources which we purchased data (we will not release this information) from we used.
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=90&pageid=122
http://www.jetphotos.net/census/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:00:42 PM by Brian »

jmhayes

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »
We agree that would be nice start but the issue arrises when it picks a aircraft in South America which GAS shows the operator as Varig while Airliner.net (or another source) has it has TAM.
I agree, it's true: maintaining a database like this is a full-time job, to be taken seriously.  Making a commitment to database quality would be a big leap forward.

Brian

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2009, 05:03:40 AM »
Thank you again for posting these links.  I'm sure others will find it helpful.
A very interesting looking website at the jetphotos.net/census/ page.
Even have some nice statistics looking at the results from the search.

Thank You - AirNav Support :)