anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Datasharing & API  (Read 12830 times)

DaveG

Datasharing & API
« on: June 21, 2007, 04:58:54 PM »
Few questions if I may,

1.  Can you state that the datasharing with 5min delay will not be removed from this product?

2.  Is there any case outstanding regarding the datasharing feature from the security view point?

The above two question are based on the knowledge that SBS-1 is not implementing this feature because of outside pressure from security services.  Would just like to ensure if I purchased RadarBox mainly for this feature it will not be pulled soon after?

3.  Will you be releasing any sort of API to allow third party coders to produced add-ons etc for RadarBox?

4.  Is you software front-end also called "BaseStation" same as SBS-1, is that because its based on the SBS-1 BaseStation or just named the same?

Thanks for your time
Dave
Cornwall, UK

clubbtraxx

Re: Datasharing & API
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 06:32:09 PM »
Few questions if I may,

1.  Can you state that the datasharing with 5min delay will not be removed from this product?

2.  Is there any case outstanding regarding the datasharing feature from the security view point?

The above two question are based on the knowledge that SBS-1 is not implementing this feature because of outside pressure from security services.  Would just like to ensure if I purchased RadarBox mainly for this feature it will not be pulled soon after?

3.  Will you be releasing any sort of API to allow third party coders to produced add-ons etc for RadarBox?

4.  Is you software front-end also called "BaseStation" same as SBS-1, is that because its based on the SBS-1 BaseStation or just named the same?

Thanks for your time
Dave

I have nothing to do with either Airnav or Kinetic, but just an opinion about your questions

1) A vendor can state what they want, if laws change, things get forbidden...
Think about for example speed camera detector devices...

2) Certain governments aren't happy about certain technological developments.

But your knowledge of SBS datasharing is incorrect, SBS-1 Mapmode-S REAL-TIME network is put on hold because of security concerns of the british authorities, however the 5 min delayed output of data is still available and Radarbox adopted that approach because of these security concerns...

3) Unknown to me

4) Airnav Radarbox has taken the best of SBS-1 and tried to improve on SBS-1 functionality here and there. Competition is good in any market! I didn't notice that Airnav even copied the name of the software front-end though... Actually I doubt that this is the case...

Cheers, CT 

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 06:55:40 PM »
Hi DaveG,

1.) AirNav Radar Network will be using delayed 5 minute data. 5 minute delayed data is used by many flight tracking services available to the public across the world (including the UK). However we will be providing the network however its the individual responsibility whether he wants to share his data (in case it goes against any local laws).

2.) We have had no complaints regarding the delayed data.

3.) The data is being provided on port 7879 in XML and should be easily to integrate to addons.

4.) Our front end software is called RadarBox 2007. Not sure what you are implying but this has been built independently and not on SBS.

As ClubbTraxx says "Competition is good in any market". If there was no competition within the airline industry we may have been stuck with the wright brothers planes today :)
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

DaveG

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 08:07:29 PM »

But your knowledge of SBS datasharing is incorrect, SBS-1 Mapmode-S REAL-TIME network is put on hold because of security concerns of the british authorities, however the 5 min delayed output of data is still available and Radarbox adopted that approach because of these security concerns...

4) Airnav Radarbox has taken the best of SBS-1 and tried to improve on SBS-1 functionality here and there. Competition is good in any market! I didn't notice that Airnav even copied the name of the software front-end though... Actually I doubt that this is the case...

Cheers, CT 

CT, I did not specify any country, but as I'm from UK that would be what I'm interested in.  Also the term "on Hold" and "removed" I think are subjective on this topic.  Its been "on Hold" with no further progress or real info for way too long.  Currently even the adverts and paperwork for the SBS still state you can subscribe to MapMode-S.

AirNav Support,

Thanks for the replies answered all my questions :) 

Sorry about the reference to BaseStation, reason I ask as I was sure I'd read in these forums a post where support had called it BaseStation, hence the question.  But searching through the posts I can find the same reference, so must have been blind or drunk or both...

Also agree its good news to have another box on the market, and as stated Competition is good.
Cornwall, UK

ham73

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 05:17:41 PM »
Hi,
Is there any chance to use / buy only the AirNav Radar soft and use it with the SBS-1 receiver?
Cheers, Ham73

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 06:44:30 PM »
Sorry but thats not possible, the software only works with RadarBox.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]