AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: computer switch off  (Read 7119 times)

radarphil

computer switch off
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:28:57 PM »
hi there
can anyone help me on how to swich off the radarbox on closedown of the computer.when i close down my computer the lights still flash on the radarbox when the computer has colsed down and i have to keep unplugging the usb to dissconect it.
regards phil

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: computer switch off
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 04:38:29 PM »
Phil,

When you shut down your PC, there will be no power to the USB ports so it is impossible for the lights on RB to be on :-)

Are you just putting your PC in standby?  Are you running RB via a powered USB extender of some sort?

radarphil

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »
hi there
the rb is powered by usb at the back of the computer,when i close the computer down the lights on the rb are still flashing.

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
How can that be?

You computer must still have power, otherwise the RB lights would not flash.  RB is powered only by the USB lead, so it can only get power from the PC.  If you leave the PC after you have switched it off, how long do the RB lights stay on, for seconds, minutes or hours?

What happens if you unplug your PC from the mains power - do the RB lights go off then?

radarphil

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 05:04:41 PM »
hi there
when i close the radarbox down the lights go off as if there is no power to the rb,but when i turn the computer off the light then start to flash usb light and signal light,when the plug is pulled from the computer the lights go off.

Allocator

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 05:18:30 PM »
I'm no electrician, but that doesn't sound right to me.  There PC power supply should be off when the PC is switched off, even if the PC is still plugged into the mains.

Maybe somebody better qualified can advise here?

radarphil

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »
I'm no electrician, but that doesn't sound right to me.  There PC power supply should be off when the PC is switched off, even if the PC is still plugged into the mains.

Maybe somebody better qualified can advise here?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »
Whats happening is: he shuts down the computer in windows but the pc is still powered from the mains. Some computers have settings where by they can be turned on by USB keyboards and mice by pressing the spacebar or clicking. LAN is also is powered so a computer can be woken up by another.

Anyway going off the subject, either you go into your BIOS and disable powering USB when the machine is off or just unplug RB or switch the mains plug off.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 05:32:59 PM by AirNav Support »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Thanks Support - that makes sense.  Having had a very nasty experience with electricity when I was 5 years old, I ALWAYS unplug my PC before I open the case >:-0

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 11:03:02 PM »
Radarphil

My RB behaves in exactly the same way as yours, and I switch my PC off at the wall socket to avoid the lights flashing all night.

I might try Support's idea of playing with the bios if I pluck up the courage!

Rod
Rod

jgrloit

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 10:35:19 AM »
Rod - make sure that you are not using a seperately powered USB Hub, as that would give similar symptoms.
If you are I suggest that you connect both the computer and the Hub to a single multiway power cable and then switch that off at night.
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 12:47:14 PM »
Nope - no separate hub - the RB's plugged straight into a rear USB port on the PC.

My Acer PC's power supply must be working even when the machine is "shut down", so switching off at the wall is the only way to stop it wasting power when it's not in use.

Not a problem, though.

Rod
Rod

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 12:54:03 PM »
I have exactly the same problem, I too just switch everything off at the mains. I've been into the Bios and I can't see how to turn off the usb's when the pc is turned off.

Not much of a problem as I say just use the mains switch

Stuart

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 01:02:29 PM »
All PCs since the introduction of the Pentium CPU have a constant power supply to the motherboard as long as there is a mains supply to the PSU. This is to allow the PC to be switched on by LAN cards, modems and other devices. The USB, Firewire and other peripheral connections will always have power to them unless the mains plug is removed from the PSU.
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk