AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Squawk  (Read 3473 times)

John Racars

Squawk
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:50:51 PM »
Hi All,

Yesterday I installed, from curiosity, the "Squawk-box" software succesfully. The box appears on the RadarBox screen and shows information.

Until sofar I did not see what this information bring us more (groundstation names like "Maastricht", "Karlsruhe") then the Radarbox allready do. But may be, I am a "new be" in the world of the Squawk, I do not understand the meaning of this "squawking". Has is something to do with ACARS? Is it intend to use with Google applications only?

I hope there are some experienced users on this who can tell us more about this subject.
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

jgrloit

Re: Squawk
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:07:59 PM »
An Aircraft will be instructed, by the comtroller to Squawk an Ident - to assist in identifying it on a radar screen.
Some Idents have specific - World-wide Functions - 7500, 7600, 7700,  others are controller specific, by area.
a UK SSr list is available from the CAA website.
I don't know how the EU codes are allocated, but in the UK, I can 'SEE' if the aircraft is under Military or Civil control, and the area it is operating in.
codes around 1750-1770 are allocated, in the Borders ( England/Scotland) to the Spadeadam Electronic Warfare range - as an example.
Hope this gives some ideas.
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

daveg4otu

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:17:27 PM »
Detailed up-to-date  list of allocations (Feb 09) here...
http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/enr/EG_ENR_1_6_en.pdf
5 Miles N of BHD at 50.28.28 N/3.30.43W...400ft amsl.

Hampshire, Devon, Dorset and Isle of Wight  Airfields Websites.....
http://devonairfields.tripod.com/index.htm

Andy Frost

• SquawkBox
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »
John, "Squawking" and how it works is also explained in a little more detail in the Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transponder_(aviation), expanding on the info posted above by jgrloit.

John Racars

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
Thank you Andy! With this I will try to make it more understandable for me.

The software is working verry well so it looks! Is it possible to show aircraftreg in the place of callsign?

If so, please let me know how.
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

Andy Frost

• SquawkBox
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »
If the flight number is not available for a particular flight then SquawkBox shows the modeS code. Currently for those flights only it is possible to ask SquawkBox to replace the displayed modeS by the aircraft registration if that aircraft registration is contained within the aircraft database.

Always showing the aircraft registration in place of the flight number or modeS is however something that I could add to the program sometime perhaps.

John Racars

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »
Thank you Andy. That's clear to me.
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 08:24:27 PM »
An Aircraft will be instructed, by the comtroller to Squawk an Ident - to assist in identifying it on a radar screen.
Some Idents have specific - World-wide Functions - 7500, 7600, 7700,  others are controller specific, by area.

"Ident", in the context of squawks, means Special Position Identification (SPI) - a facility used by the flight crew at the request of ATC which causes the aircraft concerned to be highlighted on the controller's screen for approximately 18 seconds.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Andy Frost

• SquawkBox
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:11:17 AM »
For those like John above who might prefer to see scrolling aircraft registrations in SquawkBox instead of flight numbers I have made a modification to the program. From "Options" in the program's menu you can now choose display priorities. By default, before this change was made, the program displayed flight numbers first. If a flight number wasn't available for a particular flight then the aircraft registration was shown instead and finally if that wasn't available then the ModeS was shown. Now you can choose which of flight number, registration or modeS you want to prioritise.

Usual download site http://www.gfrost.co.uk/SquawkBox/. To get the update you only need to extract the '.exe' file if you already have SquawkBox. The ReadMe.txt is also updated.

Note: SquawkBox gets its aircraft registrations by accessing the RadarBox database because this information is not available to it on Port 30003. A 'snapshot' of the aircraft database is taken when SquawkBox starts. This means that some aircraft registrations (new aircraft) may appear listed in the RadarBox interface panel but not in SquawkBox until it is restarted.