anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why I don’t see my RB station at Google Real-Time Network Location Map?  (Read 9043 times)

Aeroscan

• Aeroscan
Just have purchased RB with 1 year free Network Personal Access.

Why I don’t see my RB station at Google Real-Time Network Location Map?

Is it possible to go through the approval process by AirNav Systems to be a part of the network but without an option to get a Real-Time access as it goes for Professional Users?

Please, advise.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Hi Aeroscan

As I understand it, you need to have chosen your nearest town or city from the list in the File...Preferences...Home Station Data page.

If you don't, then AirNav uses your IP address to place your pin on the map - and that will probably be at the address of your ISP. I'm in Lancashire, but my pin is at my ISP's address, 200 miles away in London.

It's for that reason that you will see returns on the network, but with no map pins for perhaps thousands of miles.As I type this there are returns coming from New Zealand, but the nearest pin is in Australia!

Rod
Rod

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
I don't understand this.

I have my suburb and also my exact GPS co-ordinates entered into the "home station data" page.

I can put the GPS co-ordinates into Google Earth and it takes me to exactly my home.

Yet when I look at the Page Source for the online "Real-Time Network Location Map" my suburb is listed correctly but the GPS co-ordinates point to a location 20 klms away (i.e. NOT the ones I have entered into my "home station data" page).

The Google Map pin is being drawn on the map at the incorrect GPS co-ordinates.

Looking at other stations in Australia I see similar and FAR WORSE discrepancies.

geoStuff('Turramurra','Australia',-33.8225,151.2158);
geoStuff('Perth','Australia',-27,133);
geoStuff('Geelong','Australia',-27.4333,153.0167);

The Turramurra station is shown at Cammeray co-ordinates - 13 klms away, the Perth Station in shown in the middle of Australia - 1800 klms away and the Geelong Station is shown near Brisbane - 1300 klms away.

Is it really that hard to get the locations properly displayed? - The dodgy GPS information coming from the AirNav server is ridiculously inaccurate!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:52:04 AM by pjm »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Yet when I look at the Page Source for the online "Real-Time Network Location Map" my suburb is listed correctly but the GPS co-ordinates point to a location 20 klms away (i.e. NOT the ones I have entered into my "home station data" page).

The co-ordinates listed are those of your ISP, not your home location.  The map works as follows:

1. Attempts to lookup your City/Country, and plot that as a RED pin.

2. If step 1 fails, plots your ISP co-ordinates as a BLUE pin.

The problem is that step 1 can fail for two reasons:

1. Invalid City/Country

2. Google server times-out

In your case, it's probably the Google server that's timing out, and so the map defaults to plotting your ISP co-ordinates.  In fact most of the BLUE pins are there because the Google server is timing out when doing the City/Country lookup.  Blame Google, not Airnav.

Code: [Select]
function geoStuff(town, country, lat, lon)
{
var address = town + "," + country;
if (geocoder) {
        geocoder.getLatLng(
          address,
          function(point) {
            if (!point) {
  var secondpoint = point = new GLatLng(lat,lon);
              map.addOverlay(new GMarker(secondpoint, icon_b));
  drawCircle(secondpoint, 392, 18);
            } else {

map.addOverlay(new GMarker(point, icon_r));
  drawCircle(point, 392, 18);
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:31:57 AM by tarbat »

abrad41

Is there a way of removing the blue circles from the map, I know I have looked before by clicking on the network map within the RB and being in uk, all you see is the blue circles.

Andy

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
Seriously, I doubt there is any ISP from Perth who is located in the middle of the desert in Australia, Likewise a Melbourne ISP isn't going to be based in Brisbane.

Where are the GPS co-ordinates coming from? Google Maps tells me that Turramurra NSW, Australia is -33.731956,151.130404 (and this is correct), yet the AirNav map Page Source lists it as -33.8225,151.2158 (and that one is displayed as a RED pin).

It seems the Pins are being displayed at the GPS co-ordinates (which are wrongly generated) instead of the Suburb (which Google Maps knows the correct location for).

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
Where are the GPS co-ordinates coming from?

I thought I'd already answered that.  Read what it says at the bottom of the map:
"Blue Positions are extracted from the user IP address.

Try putting your IP address into http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/network-location/

Mines shows London, England, even though I'm 600 miles from London.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:19:59 AM by tarbat »

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
"Blue Positions are extracted from the user IP address.

Try putting your IP address into http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/network-location/

That shows a location approximately 1 klm from where I live, not the 20 klms away that the "Real time map" is often showing.

You are missing the point I fear. Even when there is a Red pin on the map sometimes it is 20 klms away from my real location. The page source shows the correct suburb name, but the GPS co-ordinates are way off. They are not either my Suburb, or my ISP's location either.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
That shows a location approximately 1 klm from where I live, not the 20 klms away that the "Real time map" is often showing.

Select Hostip.info instead of MaxMind.

You are missing the point I fear. Even when there is a Red pin on the map sometimes it is 20 klms away from my real location. The page source shows the correct suburb name, but the GPS co-ordinates are way off. They are not either my Suburb, or my ISP's location either.

But how do you know that red pin is for your location, and not someone who is located 20kms away from you?

The map just uses Google to do the co-ord lookup, so unless Google doesn't know where your location is, it will get it right for a RED pin.  BLUE pins will never be accurate.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
But how do you know that red pin is for your location, and not someone who is located 20kms away from you?

The map just uses Google to do the co-ord lookup, so unless Google doesn't know where your location is, it will get it right for a RED pin.  BLUE pins will never be accurate.

I know its me because the Suburb name is correct. It is just the GPS co-ordinates that are wrong.

Google is using the supplied co-ordinates (not the suburb name) to plot the PIN and they are being generated wrongly.

As per my post above this is the code being generated by the Airnav server:
geoStuff('Turramurra','Australia',-33.8225,151.2158);
geoStuff('Perth','Australia',-27,133);
geoStuff('Geelong','Australia',-27.4333,153.0167

According to Google maps the actual GPS locations are:
Turramurra -33.731956,151.130404
Perth -31.953961,115.858626
Geelong -38.146495,144.360774

If the Airnav server was generating the correct GPS locations then Google Maps would be displaying them. Instead it seems to be associating Suburb Names with almost randomly generated GPS locations and these are then being displayed incorrectly by Google Maps.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
One more time.  The Airnav server generates co-ordinates based on your IP ADDRESS, not the town/city.  It then passes the following to its geostuff routine:
1. City name
2. Country name
3. IP address co-ordinates

If Google timesout using the City/Country, it defaults to plotting the co-ords of the IP address in BLUE.  The IP address will normally be a very innacurate position.

If you use Hostip.info at http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/network-location/ what does it show?

RodBearden

Andy - there used to be a separate map without the circles, accessed through a link from the standard map.

Unfortunately that has disappeard now. I find the current map totally useless as all around where I think my pin is in northern Europe, all I can see on the map is featureless dark blue - I can't see coastline or anything else thanks to the blue circles - I can't possibly tell whereabouts I actually am, let alone where my pin is! I don't see the point of it unless you atre lucky enough(!) to live in an area without any other RadarBoxes.

AirNav - please get rid of the circles - they don't tell us anything useful, and they do hide useful information!

Rod
Rod

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
The map without the circles is still there

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

abrad41

AirNav Support

That is a far better map, but it would be better if this sort of map was included in the RB software.

Andy

RodBearden

Thanks, Support - it would be nice if we could still access it from Tools...Network Active Locations menu.

Rod
Rod