anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Elad 1090MHZ Poor Performance  (Read 17860 times)

MW0CVW

Elad 1090MHZ Poor Performance
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:39:50 PM »
Hi

I installed the ELAD 1090MHZ amplifir and bias tree as per the instructions and paying close attention to the RF,DC in etc.

I am receiving around 40 (MYFIGHTS) and the polar diagram is showing a distance of about 170 miles from my home if i apply or remove the 12v feed via the bias tree it makes now difference to the polar plot or my flights,even if i leave it for several hours.

The antenna (company southhampton) and amplifier are currently installed in the loft prior to going outside on the roof within the next month or two.

I would appreciated your comments.

The only option I think is too return both items to W&S for replacement or repair.
being 2 months old.

Paul MW0CVW.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:09:07 PM by MW0CVW »

gzerovti

Re: Elad 1090MHZ Poor Performance
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 04:31:22 PM »
Hi Paul,

I have the Elad preamp and the Radar Extender antenna.

My preamp is also in the loft as it was too windy to get it outside when I bought it so I put it in the loft and there it stayed.

At the moment with the preamp on I am getting 48 aircraft in Myflights ( this is quite low it usually is over 100) and 250 messages/sec. My range is max 250 NM to the north east, about 150 to the north and north west and my poor direction is south and west about 80 miles.

Turn off the power to the preamp and all seems the same, then suddenly my messages/sec go down to about 40.

I have not tried the antenna without the preamp straight into the Radarbox. Will have to try this soon.

Hope this helps.

Terry
G0VTI - On the flight path to EGNM

MW0CVW

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »
Terry,

Thanks for th information much appreciated.

One interesting point I have noted is when I remove the power (12v d.c) from the Elad Pre-amp and leave it for a couple of minutes it makes no difference the the live (MYFLIGHTS).

The way your system operates is what I would expect as the ELAD amplifies (LNA) is an active device.

I have returned the unit (amp & bias tree) today, back to W&S.

Let you know what they find.

Kind Regards

Paul MW0CVW.

Neilman2424

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:07:14 AM »
may be that the preamp is over loading your radar box
i have read many posts about this problem
most people go for a high gain antenna and not pre amp unless your running over 15mtrs or so of coax
use a high quality low los coax w103 for example

MW0CVW

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:10:56 PM »
Neilman2424

The coax cable run is about 12 metes long and westflex 103 with associated connectors N-type and SMA fly lead to the Radar box from the Bia Tree.

Your comments are appreciated and noted.

Kind Regards

Paul MW0CVW.

Squad 701

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 09:11:05 PM »
Hi MW0CVW,
I was just wondering did you hear back from W&S regarding your ELAD gear,
I'm in a very similar position, just getting ready to install the antenna on the roof, I haven't noticed any difference with the mast amp on or off !
Maybe when it's mounted outside there might be some gain ?
Cheers.

Conor.

WAL 2T

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 04:57:40 PM »
I've just installed the Watson extender above the roof with the ELAD on the mast and I'm not happy at all. The performance is considerably worse than the little radarbox magmount which is sat just above the gutter. This is going to be coming down very shortly and will be returned. What a waste of 250 quid

Update on this one: When I went to unscrew the bnc-sma patch lead from the back of the radarbox the number of msgs/sec and aircraft shot up so I put the meter across the connectors and there was a bad connection across the centre. Undid the sma plug and it was a botch job so after remaking the connection properly the antenna seems to be working very well. If anyone else is having this problem then beware of the patch lead.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:35:16 PM by WAL 2T »
Chris

Under the EGGP 27 Centreline & 15nm from EGCC

Squad 701

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 07:37:44 PM »
Cheers for that information WAL 2T

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 08:22:20 PM »
If anyone else is having this problem then beware of the patch lead.

Hi WAL 2T (not a car registration?) can you give us a clue as to who supplied the patch lead?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

WAL 2T

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 10:26:50 PM »
If anyone else is having this problem then beware of the patch lead.

Hi WAL 2T (not a car registration?) can you give us a clue as to who supplied the patch lead?

Hi,

The patch lead was part of the kit supplied by W&S. The problem was that insufficient core was exposed and the inner dielectric was badly cut, also melted probably due to an insufficiently hot iron being used for the tinning (left on too long).

cheers
Chris

ps. WAL 2T is of course one of the EGGP SIDs :)
Chris

drskeptical

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:44 AM »
Hi

A good idea to check if your pre amp is working or not is to measure the current. I have dones some tests on this when I had a similar problem which turned out to be ny antenna.
Have a read of my notes here; http://www.amsnw.myzen.co.uk/gp1090.html

It may help. Also note the pre amp is a mast head pre amp designed to overcome the losses in a long (15mt) run of cable. Not really a signal booster in the raw sense.

Andy

DoctorM

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 02:33:13 PM »

Update on this one: When I went to unscrew the bnc-sma patch lead from the back of the radarbox the number of msgs/sec and aircraft shot up so I put the meter across the connectors and there was a bad connection across the centre. Undid the sma plug and it was a botch job so after remaking the connection properly the antenna seems to be working very well. If anyone else is having this problem then beware of the patch lead.

Ive just got one of these, went to unscrew the patch lead from the Pre amp box, and the end piece came away...looks like it was put together by a ten year old. getting it fixed locally. For the money you would expect competent assembly!

WAL 2T

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »

Ive just got one of these, went to unscrew the patch lead from the Pre amp box, and the end piece came away...looks like it was put together by a ten year old. getting it fixed locally. For the money you would expect competent assembly!
[/quote]

That patch lead is particularly nasty, didn't like the look of it when it came out of the box. I'll be replacing mine with an RG213 patch lead terminated with large entry BNCs then use a BNC-SMA adapter to connect to the RB. The only issue being the weight of the cable and connectors at the back will probably cause the radarbox to tip.
Chris

MW0CVW

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 07:44:23 PM »
Hello,

My Elad pre-amp will be back via the carrier tomorrow from W&S.

The unit was faulty and has been replaced for a new unit.

during the phone conversation,comments where noted a few of these units have been out of box failures.

Yes i did check the current which on the faulty unit was about 70Ma max,not the stated 100ma,so there must have been a faulty gasfet or associated component.

let you know how things work once the unit is back in operation.

Paul MW0CVW

EGNR/EGGP Welsh border

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 08:33:28 PM »

The patch lead was part of the kit supplied by W&S. The problem was that insufficient core was exposed and the inner dielectric was badly cut, also melted probably due to an insufficiently hot iron being used for the tinning (left on too long).

ps. WAL 2T is of course one of the EGGP SIDs

Hi Chris thanks for the extra info..   EGGP SIDs ???   I'm still none the wiser.............
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!