anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Populating Untitled  (Read 27964 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: Populating Untitled
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2010, 12:21:29 AM »
Let's organize all this discussion: is it possible for one of you to prepare a list of what you would like to be implemented in terms of databases and their accuracy so we can think about a way of developing it and including it a future upgrade?

RNAGG

• Aerococus
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2010, 12:43:08 AM »
My suggestion is simple:

In the database NAVDATA.DB3 put a column in which we mark this field with a tag so the system does not update. Thus, the system will do the updates in the other records and marked keep the information entered manually.

Of course if we can assemble a database of all updated aircraft would be much better.

abrad41

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2010, 05:23:14 AM »
RNAGG

Sounds a good idea, think we are all fed up with this database.

Andy

NF2G

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2010, 12:58:34 PM »
We could share validated data with each other if we had a utility that would concatenate multiple database fragements and then allow either automatic or manual processing of duplicates.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2010, 07:32:15 AM »
is it possible for one of you to prepare a list of what you would like to be implemented in terms of databases and their accuracy so we can think about a way of developing it and including it a future upgrade?

That seems a rather odd question to ask, given the amount of debate there has been about the database over the past year or more.

But, taking the question at face value, I'd suggest:

i)  RadarBox ships with an accurate, consistent database representing the aircraft a user is most likely to pick up

ii)  Online updates from the AirNav server supplement the above with details/photos of new/changed aircraft

iii)  RadarBox respects the manual updates a user has made to his/her own database and doesn't overwrite them arbitrarily

I would have thought all of these were no-brainers - any RadarBox users disagree ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2010, 07:54:49 AM »

i)  RadarBox ships with an accurate, consistent database representing the aircraft a user is most likely to pick up

I'd have though that this would be the most difficult to achieve bearing in mind all the discussion we've had regarding the database.  Did anybody ever come up with a single, accurate database anywhere in the world - free or otherwise?

Maybe we need to set up our own RB user updated database much like to GAS database - but would this be any more accurate than what we have now and who would maintain it and more importantly moderate it?  As we all know, time is money!

Tarbat tried with RB Google Map locations maintained by users.  It worked very well until some kind person erased all the entries.

DaveReid

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2010, 08:48:02 AM »
I'd have though that this would be the most difficult to achieve bearing in mind all the discussion we've had regarding the database.  Did anybody ever come up with a single, accurate database anywhere in the world - free or otherwise?

Granted, absolute accuracy is unachievable, we all know that - I'm sure most RadarBox users would be content with something which fell short of that, but was a significant improvement over the present (which, after all, is what AirNav tell us they are striving for).

Maybe we need to set up our own RB user updated database much like to GAS database - but would this be any more accurate than what we have now and who would maintain it and more importantly moderate it?  As we all know, time is money!

I assume from the fact that AirNav posed the question that they are prepared to take continuing responsibility themselves for this activity. 

It would be somewhat disingenuous to advertise "accurate extensive data included" if it turned out that users were expected to provide that part themselves :-)

Having said that, I'll shortly be looking for beta testers for my NavData update utility which will allow users to do precisely that, should they so wish.
(see www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4562.msg45833#msg45833).
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

eggplant

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2010, 10:07:14 PM »
Dave,

I couldn't agree more with your comments.  I, along with many other RB users it would seem, am unhappy with the AN database.

I have read numerous posts of yours in the past, and it seems clear to me that not only do you have extensive technical knowledge, but also an understanding of what users want. As such, I am very interested in any plans you may have. I am more than happy to be a beta tester, please do let me know if I can assist in this regard.

ATB
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2010, 06:17:03 AM »
Having said that, I'll shortly be looking for beta testers for my NavData update utility which will allow users to do precisely that, should they so wish.
(see www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4562.msg45833#msg45833).

What exactly does your program do Dave?

I mean is it more than just a front end, so a user can manually edit single database entries, one at a time?

Runway 31

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
Is that not what database explorer does?

Runway 31

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »
There are 4 or 5 aircraft on the network just now that if you enter their hex code into Airframes or GAS, they are not found, how do you identify these?

DaveReid

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2010, 01:32:51 PM »
What exactly does your program do Dave?

I mean is it more than just a front end, so a user can manually edit single database entries, one at a time?

It has both single-record (form) and multi-record (grid) editing modes, like a rather less clunky version of DataBase Explorer, but the big difference is that it keeps an audit trail of all the edits that the user makes so that, should the AirNav server overwrite your painstaking updates with old or incorrect data, it can detect and rectify that.

Horsham Spotter

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2010, 04:04:52 AM »
Runway 31
Try the Mode S group on Yahoo. You have to sign up but it is a good site for tie ups.
Steve.
3.1nm miles south of EGKK westerly App & Dep.

Horsham Spotter

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2010, 04:12:50 AM »
Dave.
I would be pleased to be a Beta tester for your Navdata update utility. I spend at least one hour every day updating info in my database with tie ups from Airframes.org and Yahoo Mode S group. I also download my own pictures for each new entry rather than use the ones from Air Nav, personnel choice.

Steve.
3.1nm miles south of EGKK westerly App & Dep.