anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tracking General Aviation  (Read 12249 times)

sandhl

Tracking General Aviation
« on: February 21, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »
Can anyone please advise on what the best sites are for tracking General Aviation flights in Europe.

I am aware of flightaware.com and flightwise.com which are good for showing filed flight plans and tracking for US registered aircraft. They also provide some coverage for US General Aviation flights travelling from/to the UK.

Are there any other better ones? Looking for something that works well in Europe which allows you to see filed destination, time of departure etc.

Thanks

sandhl

Re: Tracking General Aviation
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »
Can anyone please advise on what the best sites are for tracking General Aviation flights in Europe.

I am aware of flightaware.com and flightwise.com which are good for showing filed flight plans and tracking for US registered aircraft. They also provide some coverage for US General Aviation flights travelling from/to the UK.

Are there any other better ones? Looking for something that works well in Europe which allows you to see filed destination, time of departure etc.

Thanks

Hi, does anyone have any ideas on my post on tracking General Aviation aircraft quoted above? Thanks

bearcat

sandhl

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:01:22 PM »
Question for the Airnav team

Is it right that the airnav network does not share General Aviation aircraft info for those private jets which do not have positional data? If so, how difficult would it be to start sharing it.

It might be interesting to know what is in the air even if we do not know where it is.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:31:24 PM »
Is it right that the airnav network does not share General Aviation aircraft info for those private jets which do not have positional data? If so, how difficult would it be to start sharing it.

It might be interesting to know what is in the air even if we do not know where it is.

AirNav have announced that they are developing a multilateration system whereby position can be derived from non-ADS-B aircraft.  Presumably at that stage they will also be shared on the network.

AirNav - how is progress on MLat development ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

DaveG

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:44:51 PM »
AirNav - how is progress on MLat development ?

Now if this comes about I may pay for network access.  (Even if paying to access "our" shared data is bad topic for me)
Cornwall, UK

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 03:52:04 PM »
Question for the Airnav team

Even if we were to share the limited Mode-S aircraft details (without position) you would just end up with a massive list on the network without positions. So far the vast majority of the customers have not been interested in this.

Regarding Daves question, we will announce when we have more details.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

sandhl

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
Airnav team

If we could perhaps do a poll of whether people would be happy with the limited Mode-S aircraft details (without position) with a massive list - then can we we do it?

Could you at least show what country it is flying over given you know which ANRB has sent the data to the network?

I wonder if others feel we are missing out on this data with the system setup as it is currently.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 04:03:53 PM »
Sorry sandhl but sharing Mode-S data like that is a can of worms. What happens if an aircraft is being picked up by two locations in two different countries (which can very easily happen)

Also the level of aircraft downloaded by the network would rise dramatically putting pressure on the server.

We did ask around to whether Mode-S details were needed on the network but 99% of customers were not interested if they didn't have a reliable location of where it was.

To be honest we would only change our mind if there was a big demand for this as it would open up development changes to the system as well 50%+ more load to the servers.
[email protected]

Tallyho

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »
Sandhl - I suggest you look at PlanePlotter, it handles both pos and non pos aircraft and gives you access (i.e. ability to record) all network data not just your local data. You can also MLAT non pos to make it positional.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 12:21:18 PM »
Sandhl - I suggest you look at PlanePlotter, it handles both pos and non pos aircraft and gives you access (i.e. ability to record) all network data not just your local data. You can also MLAT non pos to make it positional.

PlanePlotter also has a useful feature which works even when there aren't sufficient users to MLat an aircraft - it's able to tell you which locations a specific non-ADS-B aircraft is being picked up from, and where the coverage from those stations overlaps, which is usually enough to tell you roughly which part of the country it's flying over.

I'm surprised at AirNav's stated reasons for dismissing the display of non-positional aircraft on the grounds that it would require development effort and impose more load on the server.

Exactly the same arguments could be used for not developing a RadarBox MLat system, and yet we're told that's in the pipeline. 

Displaying non-positional aircraft would be a step in that direction, if the system can't cope with that then it's hard to see MLat ever becoming a reality.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

lambertw

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 01:37:16 PM »
Lets have the MLat system.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 01:39:03 PM »
Oh boy! Another political dig at Airnav!
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »
DaveReid,

We are simply saying we will not develop something which may be unreliable. We think its a lot of effort to go to the meanwhile while we develop on something more reliable. We would rather spend money on a reliable solution.

We get many queries about the network location map which we state is approx, Can you imagine what we would get if this was done.

Also the system load on the current network has got nothing to do with the new development.
[email protected]