AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best aerial  (Read 9956 times)

jetset

Best aerial
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:27:39 PM »
Hi all.

I've had my Radarbox for nearly a week now and I'm already looking at ways to increase my range.

I'm about 80 metres above the sea and getting barley 40 mile coverage from the supplied aerial to the north of me with the aerial sitting on top of open window.

I'm thinking about the Radar Rama purely on it's size (quite discreet looking),and mounting on the chimney but am open to suggestions.

So please bring em on.

Steve
Steve

Canonjohns40D

Re: Best aerial
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:39:11 PM »
Hi Steve have a look at this thread. I have attached my polar diagram taken just now with the aerial mounted outside for 4 days now.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2388.0

John
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:45:24 PM by Canonjohns40D »
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »
Have a look at this http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2456.0 this is my setup and the range I'm getting from it.

Stuart

jetset

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:26:33 PM »
Impressive stuff guys..thanks

These aerials are quite large aren't they..? I'd love to have the balls to put one up on my house but I'm concerned as to what the neighbours will think. (hence my interest in the radar rama, quite small and discreet)

I take it you guys don't have this 'problem'..;-)

Also, I've noticed that ,like you two, most people here use a preamp. Is this a must.? They seem quite expensive and I'm not entirely sure what they do.
I'm on the understanding that height is the main factor.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

EGNXR

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:36:01 PM »
Hi Steve,

While deciding on which aerial your going to purchase try and get your aerial as high as possible. I had similar range trouble when I first had my RB. Put the aerial on a biscuit tin lid in the loft and it made a big differance. Currently experimenting with it on a pole with said tin lid fixed to the top outside bedroom window, its just clear of the roof apex. Its been running like that since Friday afternoon and will stay while the weather holds fine.
On the strength of what I've seen on differant threads I am about to purchase a DPD aerial. I to am 80M amsl. Polar diagram attached.

Cheers John Derby/EGNX
Based in Derby 5Nm NW of EGNX

jetset

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:42:53 PM »
Hi Steve,

While deciding on which aerial your going to purchase try and get your aerial as high as possible. I had similar range trouble when I first had my RB. Put the aerial on a biscuit tin lid in the loft and it made a big differance. Currently experimenting with it on a pole with said tin lid fixed to the top outside bedroom window, its just clear of the roof apex. Its been running like that since Friday afternoon and will stay while the weather holds fine.
On the strength of what I've seen on differant threads I am about to purchase a DPD aerial. I to am 80M amsl. Polar diagram attached.

Cheers John Derby/EGNX

Nice John
I'd love to have that kind of coverage down here.

I'll certainly look at moving my aerial up into the loft and see what that produces.

Steve
Steve

EGNXR

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »
Hi Steve,

If you look in this thread I have posted various screenshots of my experimenting including loft.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2422.0

HTH Cheers John  Derby/EGNX
Based in Derby 5Nm NW of EGNX

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:05:53 PM »
Hi Steve The DPD is about 5 feet in length and coverd in a grey pastic pipe, part of it's weather protection, sounds horrible I know. I have it on a 6 foot pole and this fixed to the chimney stack. It sounds horrible and did attract the attention of the neighbours. However after asking what it was and then "can I see the radarbox" their feedback has been positive.

I must say I arrive home now and don't notice it a friend called today and i had to point it out to him. I don't have any preamp fitted the range is from the DPD and the Westlex cable. As others have said the height seems to be the main factor. I'll try and attach a picture for info.

I am sure you will find a difference even moving the aerial to your loft, be warned though if you are enjoying the box now any increase in range is seriously addictive. Anyhow I hope you get something sorted and continue to enjoy the hobby.

EDIT Picture attached not a great shot but you get the idea.
regards

John
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:40:57 PM by Canonjohns40D »
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

AllanK

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 09:18:30 AM »
Not wishing to purchase an antenna at the moment, I made a basic 1/4 wave antenna and mounted it outside. Coverage and antenna can be seen here http://allan.kissack.co.uk/index.php?page=radarbox

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 04:33:22 PM »
Hi JETSET, this is the rig I have from these suppliers.It is mounted on the chimney stack with the TV aerial, not ideal, but not a word from anyone. I also put a discone up for the scanner and the wife some flowers, see photo!
http://whwestlake.110mb.com/
http://www.ssejim.co.uk/26-sseads1090sj.htm
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

AllanK

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:00:23 PM »
anorak,  How is the discone supported off the main mast?  not too clear on that image and resolution didnt allow me to zoom in

--
Allan

jetset

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:01:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing your setups people..
Not sure the Mrs would be impressed if I stuck something like these up on my roof. lol.

For now.. I'm just going to put the supplied aerial in the loft, but am going to need coax, and plugs to connect it with.

Your advice on that would be helpful.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 08:39:50 PM »
It comes of a swansneck, I think its called, at right angles from the main mast.   Get enough westflex to carry on to an external aerial , she`ll never know. If flowers don`t work try chocs as well.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

jetset

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 06:42:52 PM »
Quick update.

I've connected my Scanner aerial (scan king type) wich is in the loft via RG213 coax.
Currently receiving in excess of 60 flights and improved my coverage to the south coast and beyond.!!!

What will a dedicated aerial mounted on the roof give me..?

John..You're right..this is highly addictive and the neighbours and wife might just have to...well you know..;-)

Steve
Steve

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »
Hi Steve, that is some very interesting and useful info..   Just goes to show that the "suck and see" technique works, but bear in mind, if you're already getting a near optimum signal, things might not improve a great deal more.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!