AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: F15 Eagles and Mode-S  (Read 12504 times)

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: F15 Eagles and Mode-S
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 07:40:54 AM »
It's interesting that Eurocontrol have seen the need to issue this advisory.  This might suggest that there have been cases of ModeS codes being assigned to more than one aircraft at the same time.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that had happened

It must be a nightmare keeping track of which codes have been used on which aircraft and, as we all know, every time a transponder is re-programmed there is scope for getting a couple of bits wrong and ending up inadvertently with a code that's currently assigned to another aircraft (just ask British Airways!).
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

malc41

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 07:57:05 AM »
Dave as you say there is always the case of human error, that is why the advisory from eurocontrol is a bit of a surprise. I understand the concern of somebody building up a picture of the state of a countries armed forces, but there are enough books around listing the fleets anyway
15 Miles East of EGNJ

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 11:43:05 AM »
In other words, once you have tied up a code to an airframe, picking up the same code in future will mean the same airframe.

Just a theory, I stand to be corrected.

David,

From the lists I have seen, I did have different aircraft with the same codes, however, that may be in the transitory period and may settle down to what we all hope. For now, I have deleted all registrations/serials from my listings (currently 70+ different codes) and purely show ICAO type, and aircraft generic type and Operating unit so I can at least see at a glance I have an F15 in the list :-)

Mike

Mike