anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: changing ANRB current location.  (Read 6690 times)

AIRBUD1

changing ANRB current location.
« on: April 04, 2009, 02:37:37 AM »
Hi all,
Probably a bit of a dopey question, but not being an owner for long I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to get your box to recognise its current location, so you can fix it when you travel about. I have tried to change it using the tool bar but it states I need an internet conection to do so. At home I do run it on my laptop via wi fi, but very often I may travel, see aircraft overhead but not be near a listed location (airport) or internet connection.So I just run it as My Flights. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: changing ANRB current location.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:20:24 AM »
I use Google Earth to get the position, then insert it in the Preferences of RB.

If you don't have access to the internet whilst you are out and about, then get your position before you go and write it down.  If you have a GPS you can get the position from this.  Also, some Sat Nav devices will give you the lat/lon.

Remember that you need decimal degrees, like:

52.125 -2.55

RB won't recognise it's own position as it doesn't have GPS built in.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »
Remember that you need decimal degrees, like:

52.125 -2.55

The negative sign -2.55 is needed to indicate positions west of 0 degrees.

RB won't recognise it's own position as it doesn't have GPS built in.

Is this a suggestion for the MkII RadarBox then Allocator..........?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

jgrloit

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 07:25:26 PM »
I don't know about needing GPS built in,
but an interface to a GPS receiver, running with a standard interface mode - possibly NMEA Could be useful, especially for true mobile operations!!!!!
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 09:35:09 PM »
but an interface to a GPS receiver, running with a standard interface mode - possibly NMEA Could be useful, especially for true mobile operations!!!!!

That's a good idea......................
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Allocator

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:25:42 AM »
Or even better, a Bluetooth interface that would work with the really cheap Bluetooth GPS receivers :-)

jgrloit

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:22:55 AM »
SAme idea - external, seperate windows supported device, connected to the PC, available for use by any software....
Connection via Serial, or Serial over Bluetooth etc....
NMEA is a very common protocol for the positional information!!!
Can we have a go at it??
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:57:17 AM »
Presumably, the position must be saved in the Registry somewhere, so such an external program could rewrite the position into the registry?

Anybody clever enough to do this?

Probably more complicated that it needs to be though, I just note the lat/lon before I go to my remote viewing site.  Also, I've got Orange 3G Internet Anywhere, so I can access Google Earth/Maps when I'm operating portable :-)

I've also got a drawer full of old GPS receivers that will give me my position!  I think that my very basic Tom Tom Satnav will give a raw lat/lon too.

Many mobile phones have a GPS chip in too.

Roland28

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 11:10:28 AM »
Presumably, the position must be saved in the Registry somewhere, so such an external program could rewrite the position into the registry?

Anybody clever enough to do this?

Probably more complicated that it needs to be though, I just note the lat/lon before I go to my remote viewing site.  Also, I've got Orange 3G Internet Anywhere, so I can access Google Earth/Maps when I'm operating portable :-)

I've also got a drawer full of old GPS receivers that will give me my position!  I think that my very basic Tom Tom Satnav will give a raw lat/lon too.

Many mobile phones have a GPS chip in too.

I have used the GPS on my Nokia N95 phone to plot my position, it's quite accurate and is more than adequate for RadarBox purposes.

richardj

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 03:42:44 PM »
What would be handy is a drop down list of places and positions where I have used RB in the past, at the moment when I re-visit, I cut and paste these from a Word document.

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »
Hi AIRBUD1, interested to see that you run your RB via WiFi on your laptop. I have been getting bluescreens on my Acer and cant seem to get a fix, I have Vista Ultimate, how do you get on?
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

AIRBUD1

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 01:21:51 AM »
i just use vista home basic and a cheap(ish) ei system laptot. all works fine for me with no problems. I do use an N type not G type router though as it gives better reception all round the house , and in the garden.

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 08:56:28 AM »
Thanks AIRBUD1, glad that your`s works fine. Wish I could sort mine out now the days are better.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.