anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie Northumberland First Screen shot  (Read 20190 times)

GrimReaperuk

Newbie Northumberland First Screen shot
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:17:46 PM »
First thanks to pcochrane and Starburstdave for info.

Located near Craster.  130ft asl.  Temporary aerial fix in garden at 6ft using Radar Rama aerial supplied free with the RB (Moonraker).  Cable is 6 m westflex. Views down to sea level North through East to South.  West blocked by my house and the neighbours. Intention to fit Watson radar extender on gable end.  Having trouble with my usb extender to put box in loft.  So all plans on hold with gable end.  Polar diagram is after 2hours.

regards

G

pcochrane12

Re: Newbie Northumberland First Screen shot
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 04:21:43 PM »
hi grim
good to see ya up and running coverage looks good to the se and east very nice and very enviouse as thats my blind spot eastward
nice to see
paul

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 04:30:02 PM »
EIN356 down to the SE is 243nm and cno627 is 232nm.  So happy with range just need to get my aerial higher to get better westerly coverage.

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 04:31:03 PM »
Should read EIN65A at 243nm

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 07:01:47 PM »
Same aerial loft mounted with USB extender (POLAR DIAG ABOUT 5HRS)..Initial thougths are shorter range to ESE, gable ends and chimney block(see east). overland coverage improved to SW.

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:21:57 AM »
Polar diagram over a week on from the previous shot with the Rama still loft mounted.

pcochrane12

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 06:34:38 PM »
hi gary
looks like its settled down nicely coverage looks good hope your enjoying the addictive nature of the box
cheers paul

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 07:22:06 PM »
Hi Paul,
Happy Easter.

Enjoying or addicted difficult to decide!

Good to hear from you.  Still unable to decide what antenna to mount externally, i was considering the Watson Radar Extender but a little apprehensive about going through the hassle of getting it up on the gable end.  Reading through threads from ages ago i see there has been plenty of discussion on static build up and I cannot seem to see any dc blocks (sma) available in the UK, so antenna choice is crucial.  I emailed support and they recommended an antenna but the gain is not to good or go for the preamp set up. (cost)

Anyway i digress, for info the gable ends and roof supports are killing my coverage and the roof tile are attenuating the signal at the 200nm mark which affects the norfolk outbounds and NE tracks (picture 2 shows what i have lost, scroll right, picture paints a 1000 words). For the above picture, SE about 190-200 degrees is the neighbours house and its three storey and i am only 2, so no hope.  West is my own house and a neighbour but he is at the same height.  LINE OF SITE is KEY, so remain determined to improve height and remove obstacles.  Now armed with high level enroute charts to to plan major air routes against antenna location.

Regards

G

pcochrane12

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:03:57 AM »
hi gary
happy easter..
Cant agree more over the aerial choice when I looked the wimo seemed to be the only answer so I took the plunge and spent the cash and to be honest I can't fault it but it was costly.
I'm blocked to the east between 30 deg and 105 deg by a stand of trees about 70 yards from the house as I live in a bungalow my antenna is'nt really that high about 30 ft but apart fro that one area it's got a very good un-restricted view.Keep testing and hope you find the correct aerial for your location.
I've attached a latest shot from this morning to show you my blind spot
cheers paul

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:39:28 AM »
Hi Gary, I'm a little further down the coast from you, if you have a look at this it gives my full spec and a polar diagram.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2456.0

Stuart

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:47:04 AM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the pic as it gives me good situational awarness on what i am missing.  If only i can gain that SW airspace back towards IOM back (possible); no chance on that route across the top of Wales

I have to say i am envious of your coverage as it covers the major ATC routes.  Over to the east you have to wait for the Military Danger Areas to close before the Conditional Air Routes become active.  Do like the low level coverage, EZY91QE at FL280 to the SW and EZY82AT 10,000ft into Glasgow.

Surprised that I get inbounds to EGNT down to 800FT RWY 25 but departing not until 1800FT, given the polar diagram anyway.

Regards

Gary

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:00:28 AM »
Hi Stuart,

Interesting on the SSE 1090SJ as this was the aerial that support recommended.  Would it be possible to switch on the propogation rings and repost.  The reason is i would like to gain the aircraft back out to the east (see second picture post) that I lost and they are right on the 200-220nm mark and also the aircraft running across the Y70 top of Norfolk.  When I was reading through the post this ESD issue is a concern to me being on the coast and if the antenna gets mounted on the gable end it means getting someone in, i do not have the luxury of putting it up and taking it down.  In other words I need the right aerial.

Looked at the DPD posts but it looks like it does not cut the mustard out 200nm.

Regards

Gary

Regards

pcochrane12

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 09:06:21 AM »
hi gary
it amazing the difference a few miles makes as onto 25 i follow all the way down and can see taxi movements however 07 i lose at about 2miles and 740 ft
i would still like some better easterly coverage as most of my time on the box is on a sunday or after 8 at night once my 3yearold has gone to bed or as on a sunday to my parents for the day.
it would be great if you could get a bit better coverage to the sw as you say as this can get very busy and is very interesting to watch.
as ex radar tech in the airforce it still amazes me this technology is available but wow i'm pleased it is, takes me back to the buccaneer bay and tracking nimrods into kinloss

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 09:08:04 AM »
Stuart,

Closer inspection of your polar diagram....what is the topagraphy at your location 105-130 degrees and does the preamp give much back in range or is it compensation for 20m of cable.

regards

Gary

GrimReaperuk

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 09:31:12 AM »
Paul,

Easter Mon East routes.