AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radar screenshot & loft possible ?  (Read 19605 times)

aps

Radar screenshot & loft possible ?
« on: March 28, 2009, 03:20:28 PM »
Hello all , im a new user here with the Radarbox but have have suite & acars decoder for years !

So ... i have a small question plus a screen shot to discuss , 1st off the screenshot below is using the standard aerial based on the window sill (based in altrincham near manchester airport) on a quality street lid replacing the supplied base , now i personally think i may be missing out on some distance , if i were to move the aerial into the loft space would i gain anythin at all ? bearing in mind it will no longer have a clear view (window) im wondering if the roof tiles will really cause so much loss of signal ?
As you can see from the screenshot i have a reasonably good southwest spike , if i were to raise the aerial into the loft would it increase the easterly spike plus the north ?

im welcome to any suggestions , im obviously looking for the budget way until i go for the outside option which is a good few months away just yet .

Many thanks in advance APS

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
Re: Radar screenshot & loft possible ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »
It mut be worth the time and trouble to try.

Distance depends on so many different factors, you can only find out by experimentation. As Airnav point out, re-positioning your antenna by a few centimetres can make a difference.

In my home, I have the antenna as high as possible, I find that height is better than being near a window.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »
Definately worth a try - height is everything.  One thing to consider is how you'll connect to your PC.  You'll either need a long USB cable, or a long antenna lead.  With a long antenna lead, you might need to use a mast-head pre-amp as well.

Heres my polar chart, using a GP-1090 Antenna and pre-amp in the loft.  My roof is heavy concrete tiles, with breezeblock gable ends.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 05:37:49 PM by tarbat »

aps

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 05:56:07 PM »
Hi , thanks for the replies so far .
The standard aerial is now in the loft , no extension to the cable needed as its placed directly above me in the loft and the cable threaded through a hole already in place from a previous scanner aerial .

So far i havent noticed a difference , i think i read somewhere itll need time to settle ?
Plus it looks like its a quite time over the NW of England !

ill keep you all updated over the next few days .

thanks again APS

aps

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:23:49 PM »
Hi folks , just a quick update ,after giving it a full 24hours in the loft i can say the distance is way reduced !  the south spike mostly the east & north look to be the same

So as seen in another thread i have ordered a 1105 magmount aerial as that looks to be a vast improvment on standard .

Its back to the window ledge with that when it arrives if i get better than i was getting i will be very happy .
See below for updated screenshot from loft

regards APS
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 07:27:33 PM by aps »

EGNXR

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:08:43 PM »
Hi aps,

Been trying a similar experiment myself. Had my standard aerial outside the bedroom window at gutter height since January as indoors the reception is poor.
Good reception NW through to SE but limited to the east with the house in the way. jpg1

Have tried aerial in the loft this week, shorter range NW - SE but better to the east also seem to be picking up more traffic best day yet today 1320+ hits.
jpg2

The jpg's show network traffic with the trail lines set to maximum timeout so as to get a picture of potentialy what I will pick up with an external aerial within the maximum mode-s range.

HTH Cheers John (Derby/EGNX)
Based in Derby 5Nm NW of EGNX

aps

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 03:49:58 PM »
Please forgive the stupid question !

Do these standard aerials have the facilty to work upside down ?
or are they as im thinking only to be upright ?

The reason im asking is i have located a perfect place for a magmount aerial but it would mean the aerial kind of hanging upside down .

Sorry if i sound stupid but its worth a go .

regards APS

aps

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 09:11:08 AM »
After running the new aerial ( 1105 ) for a good 24hours on the window ledge indoors below is the latest screenshot .

Looks like a little improvment from the original , now to see if i can get a higher place for it .

Regards  APS

EGNXR

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
Phase 3 of the experiment.

Moved my standard aerial back out the loft to it origional location outside but elevated to the full length of the supplied cable. Just about leval with the apex of the roof, could do with about another four feet to clear the chimney. Polar diagram below been running since about 2pm today.

See previous postings for comparison
HTH Cheers John (Derby/EGNX)

Edit for info 80m amsl according to sat nav
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:10:15 PM by EGNXR »

EGNXR

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 11:57:46 AM »
24hrs in its new location and I'm pleased with the result. Also the wife promised me a DPD aerial for my birthday in may 50% cos she loves me 50% so I dont keep having cables runing everywhere;-)
Also gone from 70-80 aircraft in myflights to over 110 at peak times.

Hope this has been helpful to people will post back when I get the external aerial up.

Cheers John (Derby/EGNX)

aps

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:11:19 PM »
While waiting for my external 1100a i ran a test with the supplied aerial based in the loft (again) this time a better all round coverage . See below for latest screenshot .

Ohhhh this also means that i may have a 1105 magmount aerial up for grabs veeeery soon brand new , so if anyones interested give me a shout , it cost me £50 with the cable and it did produce far better results than standard but i dont need 3 aerials .

Well either that or the standard aerial !

regards APS
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:14:44 PM by aps »

EGNXR

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 05:04:02 PM »
Hi All,

Standard aerial now been perched at chimney height for two weeks. Tne result is great it just a shame the supplied aerial is not an external one or I'd make it permanent:-(

Hope this experiment has been of interest.

Cheers John

Blackthorn

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »
Hi All,

Standard aerial now been perched at chimney height for two weeks. Tne result is great it just a shame the supplied aerial is not an external one or I'd make it permanent:-(

Hope this experiment has been of interest.

Cheers John

Hi John

A few members have reported that the supplied antenna has been okay when used out doors for prolonged periods, your other option is to use a MyDel 1105 which has good weather sealing.

I live in Derby and use a 1105 in the loft, I used to have an external mounted antenna but took it down after a near lightning strike last year.

Kevin

EGNXR

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 08:49:18 PM »
Hi Kevin,

I'm keeping a close eye on the weather if it gets to rough I'll bring it back down.
Been looking at the photo's on your web, very nice:-) Maybe I'll run into you up at EGNX sometime, off up tomorrow chasing Ryanairs if there still in EI-EBF/L

Cheers John

Blackthorn

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 09:14:04 PM »
Hi John

Considering the amount of time I spend at EGNX its a wonder our paths have not yet crossed although I mainly go to the mound to ensure the sun is behind me.

Best of luck with EBF/L I bagged those last weekend.