anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fedex Crash Narita japan  (Read 5549 times)

Canonjohns40D

Fedex Crash Narita japan
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:18:35 PM »
Japanese news channel on Sat TV showing footage of a Fedex aircraft crashing on landing at Narita. Huge explosion and fire followed attempted landing in strong winfds. no reports on casualties. The aircraft appears to bounce back in the air before catching fire. Later footage show the aircraft upside down on the runway still on fire.

John

Sorry that should be CCTV Chinese news channel reporting the crash.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 11:28:00 PM by Canonjohns40D »
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

Canonjohns40D

Re: Fedex Crash Narita japan
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
More sad news accident  now reported in the USA Bute? A small aircraft possible 17 killed including some children on ski trip.

John

This being reported as a Pilatus PC12 with 17 on board near Bert Mooney Airport. The number on board appears to be a cause of concern as possibly overloaded.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:13:57 AM by Canonjohns40D »
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

OKC-Steve

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 05:31:10 AM »
Montana Aircraft was N128CM:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N128CM/history/20090322/1810ZZ/KOVE/KBTM

Everything looks normal except the approach, which witnesses describe as a typical stall and spin (not enough altitude for a full spin though).

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7958367.stm

Video clearly shows the aircraft coming in at a steep angle and bouncing.

RIP to the crew.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »
Video clearly shows the aircraft coming in at a steep angle and bouncing.

Although that BBC video doesn't really show the full incident.  Earlier stage of the landing shows that the approach angle looked okay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6cMK9LUnzI

Fenris

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 11:57:54 PM »
Discussed a lot on PPRUNE.

Crew apparently killed by 50 tons of freight deciding not to stop when the aircraft did, so the fire service keeping the cockpit clear of fire was too late.

It seems that the MD-11 is a difficult aircraft to land in heavy wind shear and crosswinds, heavy stick back to flare with high sink rate apparently made the known nose-up pitch with spoiler deployment lead to getting airborne again but without thrust then with decreasing speed the nose went down with the bounce leading to nose wheel contact and main gear failure on the left side, followed by the left wing digging into the ground, breaking off and then the aircraft inverts from asymmetric lift. Nasty!

OKC-Steve

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:45:56 AM »
It looked like a perfect landing, and then bam! that sucker was heading for the moon with no thrust.  Their CG must have been way forward, as that nose dropped like a rock.  They were dead the instant that thing took off (no recovery possible).

Blackthorn

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 02:08:53 PM »
Could it be the case that he noticed how heavy the landing was and was trying to abort then flipped over?