anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Improve RadarBox Antenna Instead of Buying 3rd-Party  (Read 4629 times)

wxwarn

Improve RadarBox Antenna Instead of Buying 3rd-Party
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:03:05 PM »
I just modified the antenna that came from Radarbox improving receiving results by 25%. I have a number of pictures of the modification but I cannot upload due to Forum size limits. I'll try to capture this in this forum

Basically took the metal plate and mounted/secured it to a metal 10ft mast by drilling holes in the top part of mast and magentic plate and used black plastic tie wraps to secure them. I then ran the feedline down the mast and tie-wrapped it as well. I drilled a hole through my house near a lower section of roof. Then, I secured the mast assembly on a lower section of roof by drilling two holes in the rain gutter and secured it to the gutter using black tie wraps again. The bottom of the mast rests of the lower roof shingles. I then fed the feedline through the house wall and into my radio room where Radarbox is (I've been in Ham Radio for some time). You can use other means to secure the mast.

Bottom-line, I only needed to buy a mast and used the exisitng antenna to increase coverage by 25%. The mast is 10 feet in length. The main theme here is to save money and raise the antenna as high as you can.

AirNav Systems recommends not to use it outdoors but, I've used it for 3 months outside prior to this modification. I live in Michigan-USA with it being subjected to snow, freezing rain and rain without issues!

ENJOY!

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Improve RadarBox Antenna Instead of Buying 3rd-Party
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »
If you compress your images to 300kb each the forum will allow it, we would be very intrested to see them :)
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

BOM1

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:58:52 PM »
I've been using the standard antenna outdoors here in Mumbai for over a year where it has been subjected to extreme heat, the monsoon and all the dust a grime you can image.  Although it looks the worst for wear it's still performing as new, picking up traffic 100+ miles out without difficulty.   

Steve

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 05:11:44 PM »
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

I assume it's your returns that we're seeing on the network - just wanted to say thanks - it's great to see a window on the activities in the sub-continent! And from the standard aerial, too.

Rod
Rod