AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No E-mail Reports/Alerts - Port 25 Blocked By ISP  (Read 28641 times)

Falcon

Re: No E-mail Reports/Alerts - Port 25 Blocked By ISP
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 06:23:17 AM »
Hi falcon,

I believe that You cannot connect to server at port 25, but this can be due to seval reasons. Also I suppose that this SMTP is from Your ISP ?
Coul You please post the name of the SMTP server You telneted to port 25 ?
Mine is smtp.sao.terra.com.br and You can try telnettig it ao port 25, here is connecting OK
Cheers.

Hi,

I have tried to connect to both the server you provided and also the Airnav mail server using "telnet mail.airnavsystems.com 25" without the quotes and it fails. I am only replying to this to help satisfy your determination in getting this solved. It also fails with the address you provided on port 25. I know you are trying to get this figured out, but unless you have a way to bypass port 25 blocking by the ISP you are wasting your time. AirNav Systems knows about the issue and acknowledged it so until there is a way to configure use of a different smtp port we are going nowhere with this.

Thanks

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 08:08:38 AM »
We haven't said "tough luck". We said it will be looked at, however more pressing issues ahead.

Then I guess we will simply have to agree to differ.

IMHO, as with other issues like the callsign bug, getting existing features to work reliably (for everyone) should be at least as high a priority as developing new functionality.

According to www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx, the following ISPs are known to block port 25:

AT&T
BellSouth
CableOne
Charter
Comcast ATTBI
Cox
EarthLink
Flashnet
MSN
MediaOne
MindSpring
NetZero
People PC
Sprynet
Sympatico.ca
Verio
Verizon

Although not listed, AOL do too: http://postmaster.aol.com/faq/port25faq.html

Given the above, I'd suggest that developing a solution is indeed a "pressing issue". 

And if you insist on using SMTP, why not support port 587, the industry-standard default port for authenticated email ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Dan

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 09:15:11 AM »
Hi ,

E-mail Reports/Alerts  never worked for me .
My ISP  ( Belgacom/Skynet ) is indeed blocking  Port25.

http://onlinesupport-res-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/onlinesupport_res_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5795&p_created=1069159709&l0_self=private&p_search_text=port-25

Rgds
Dan.

jgrloit

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 01:31:28 PM »
Don't forget that when you created the logon and account on the Airnav Servers, they allocated YOU an email address within their domain.
Why not use that as your origin address for the reports.
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 01:53:03 PM »
Not sure what you mean jgrloit. What logon is created, we don't allocate any email address for you within our domain?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

jgrloit

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »
When first creating the login code the messages I received did say that an  email address was associated with the account code - the one required for running the software.
The message at the time - 9 months ago did mention the creation of an email account.
It could have been "wrong use of english terms" or phrasing. 
It may be a similar problem to the messages ref - time credit for uploading data!!!!!
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

Keith L

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »
Tools - Network Account Information informs me:

User email **ANRB123456

Doesn't appear to work though :-}
7 miles ENE of Luton (EGGW)

prbflight

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 03:01:24 PM »
Also....

If someone having problems on sending receiving email reports due to the above reasons, You can do the following for testing purposes :

1- Go to : File, Preferences Home Station Data
2- Change the email for [email protected]
3- OK
4- Go to Reporter, generate, SEND NOW

I did this and my SMTP ISP server liked a lot because email received was from airnavsystems.com and the user ([email protected]) from the same domain.

Properties of data on email received sent in this way :

Received-SPF: pass (dresden.terra.com: domain of airnavsystems.com designates 74.55.96.226
   as permitted sender) client-ip=74.55.96.226;
   [email protected]; helo=mail.airnavsystems.com;
Received: from mail.airnavsystems.com (mail.airnavsystems.com [74.55.96.226])
   by dresden.terra.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 51C6A7000009F
   for <[email protected]>; Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:52:01 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from home07        by mail.airnavsystems.com (Merak 8.3.8) with ASMTP id

So, who never got email report working but receives a message on RadarBox :
Message Sent With seccess, can try this... ONLY for testing purpose....

Cheers.

Ok so I did as you suggested and I still get the same notice that has been haunting me since July 2007

"Could not connect to SMTP server to send auto-report"

Paul@cyyb

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »
Its either a username or email to login. Its got nothing to do with email accounts being created.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Falcon

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
Ok so I did as you suggested and I still get the same notice that has been haunting me since July 2007
"Could not connect to SMTP server to send auto-report"
Paul@cyyb

Hi,

As determined as Juangelb is too help, which is appreciative, the original issue as I have discussed and which has also been acknowledged by AirNav Systems remains. You won't be connecting until the way the e-mail reports / alerts function is changed if Port 25 is blocked by your ISP.

If you really want to prove your port 25 is blocked just try this simple test. Which you have probably already done but I'm just making sure.

"telnet mail.airnavsystems.com 25"

If your connection fails which you can determine by waiting up to several seconds for windows to notify you or, even if you don't want to wait for the failure notice, if it doesn't connect almost right away it probably isn't going to.

You can then do this as the final part of the test.

"telnet mail.airnavsystems.com 465"

If you are doing things correctly and your port 465 isn't blocked by the ISP you will get an almost immediate connection indicated by your screen going blank. This of course is assuming that port 465 is still open by the time you read this. I don't know why it wouldn't be but if they (AirNav or the ISP) decide to close it for some reason then this test won't work.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:13:04 PM by Falcon »

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 07:05:50 PM »
You can then do this as the final part of the test.

"telnet mail.airnavsystems.com 465"

If you are doing things correctly and your port 465 isn't blocked by the ISP you will get an almost immediate connection indicated by your screen going blank. This of course is assuming that port 465 is still open by the time you read this. I don't know why it wouldn't be but if they (AirNav or the ISP) decide to close it for some reason then this test won't work.

A simpler, and more reliable test would be "Telnet [any website URL] 80", for example Telnet www.bbc.co.uk 80.  That will also produce the requisite blank screen to show you're connected, and it's reasonably safe to assume that the BBC won't have shut down all their web servers in the meantime :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Falcon

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 08:48:54 PM »
A simpler, and more reliable test would be "Telnet [any website URL] 80", for example Telnet www.bbc.co.uk 80.  That will also produce the requisite blank screen to show you're connected, and it's reasonably safe to assume that the BBC won't have shut down all their web servers in the meantime :-)

Yes, thanks Dave. That would be a more reliable method for testing to make sure you can actually make a valid connection with your telnet client without worrying too much whether the ports going to be open or not.

Just remember for those doing the test that you still have to connect to a mail server with a known open port 25 in this case "telnet mail.airnavsystems.com 25" without the quotes to check if your ISP is blocking port 25. The "telnet [any website URL] 80" without quotes or brackets has to do whether you can actually make a connection with your telnet client at all.

prbflight

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 01:39:05 AM »
Thanks for your help Dave and Falcon.

Below is the response I get when I telnet mail.airnavsystems.com 25 and
telnet mail.airnavsystems.com 465

When I telnet www.efni.com 80  I connect no problem.

Paul@cyyb

Falcon

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 02:24:03 AM »
Thanks for your help Dave and Falcon.

Below is the response I get when I telnet mail.airnavsystems.com 25 and
telnet mail.airnavsystems.com 465

When I telnet www.efni.com 80  I connect no problem.

Paul@cyyb

Hi Paul,

So there you go. Your port 25 is confirmed blocked. Who is your ISP and how long ago did you first post about your e-mail reports / alerts not working.

Darryl

prbflight

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 02:38:29 AM »

Hi Paul,

So there you go. Your port 25 is confirmed blocked. Who is your ISP and how long ago did you first post about your e-mail reports / alerts not working?

Darryl
[/quote]

Hi Darryl

My ISP is Vianet and I first reported this problem back in July 2007.  I thought all this time I was the only one on the planet that had this problem.

Pau@cyyb