anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New user quick help  (Read 10737 times)

thetrees

• FreeBird Aviation Database
New user quick help
« on: March 08, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »
Greetings folks,

Purchased an Airnav box a few weeks ago, my first foray into Mode-S.
Something that is not obvious to me is how to update the airframe data in relation to their HEX codes. I see that it is possible to manually change or add records, but is there any download similar to that provided by GAS for SBS-1?

I note that 'new' airframes are automatically updated as they appear on the Airnav network, but I also note that airframes that have long changed registration still show as their old registration. Examples:

G-TOYM picks up as G-OHAJ
G-OZBS picks up as G-TTIA

Curiously both these airframes were registered around the same time.

Finally I find that the hardware randomly disconnects quite frequently, but without a regular pattern. I am using it with two machines and two operating systems (HP Pavilion laptop/Vista and Samsung NC-10/XP).
Is this normal, do I have a faulty box, or am I just doing something wrong?

Any guidance gratefully received
Laurence

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: New user quick help
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 04:58:42 PM »
Hi Laurence and welcome to the forum!

First question is a regular one - you either update the NavDadata database manually, or delete the eroneous records and wait for them to be autopopulated next time the aircrafft appears.

Second question - try a different USB cable between the RB and the PC - this seems to be quite a common fault :-(

Hope that helps

Rod
Rod

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 06:29:46 PM »
Laurence,

There is a good video tutorial on the AirNav RadarBox support page here:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/video/Database_Explorer.wmv

Unfortunately, no database is 100% accurate and if you already have an aircraft record in the RadarBox database, then it isn't overwritten by the auto-populate function - otherwise any manual changes you had made would be lost!

Your RadarBox should not disconnect.  This has been an issue in the past when there is a power saving mode set for the USB port, or if an over long USB cable is being used.  RadarBox gets its power through the USB lead, so if the power drops, then so does the connection.  Are you using the supplied USB cable?

darkskies74

• AOR 8000. Station EXTSHA196235
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 07:09:46 PM »
Hi, new here, been using Airnav live flight tracker for a while but want to purchase Radar box. Have a few Q's.....

1) If I buy the Radar box, can I see other aircraft from other radar boxes without having to have the professional version?

2) What's the difference between pro version and standard?

3) Will the Radar box I buy in UK work in Australia?

Was 32 NM SSW of YPPH.......where the sun shines.
Previously 31NM NNW of EGCC....where it didn't shine!
Now back near EGCC, Oh, how I miss the sun!!!

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:17:22 PM »
Hi darkskies,

1. With the standard RadarBox, you will get 12 months free access to the RadarBox Network and you will be able to see all the traffic shared by other RadarBox users, wherever they are in the world.  After 12 months, the Network access will cost 5 Euros per month.  Network data is delayed by 5 minutes for security reasons.

2. There isn't a "Professional" version of RadarBox, but there is a subscription for access to live Network data, rather than the standard 5 minutes delayed.  You won't mix up the two, as professional access is at a professional price - big bucks - and only available to professional and Government organisations.

3. RadarBox will work anywhere in the world.  The majority of airliners will show on the map, some will only show in the list (older airliners or those without a modern Mode S fit) and some won't show at all - small light aircraft and helicopters.

Hope this helps :-)

thetrees

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:09:55 PM »

First question is a regular one - you either update the NavDadata database manually, or delete the eroneous records and wait for them to be autopopulated next time the aircrafft appears.

Rod,
Thanks for the welcome.

Just so I have got this correct I can either:

1. Manually update records one by one

2. Autopopulate, which presumably:

i. Only works when linked to the network?
ii. Only 'autopopulates' aircraft with HEX codes that are being picked up during that network session?

Would I be correct in assuming therefore that a non-renewal of subscription would result in the need to update the aircraft list manually, one by one?

With regard to 'autopopulation' I use one machine with an internet connection, one without. Should I occasionally connect the second one to the internet to update the aircraft list?
Laurence

Allocator

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 08:15:20 PM »
Laurence,

Auto-populate works when you are connected to the INTERNET, you can switch off Network processing and auto-populate still works.

As far as I'm aware, the only function you loose when your Network subscription ends, is Network traffic.  Everything else, including auto-populate will still work.

Is there anybody here who has not renewed their subscription that can confirm this?

RodBearden

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 08:45:07 PM »
Laurence

Autopopulate only works with aircraft that are currently being received in MyFlights (and, if you're on the network, network flights). This process updates Navdata.db3.

If you want to update the database on the non-internet PC, you will have to copy Navdata.db3 to it (possibly by memory stick) from the internet PC.

In the past, AirNav have confirmed that populate and photo update will still work without you having a network subscription.

Rod
Rod

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 08:47:25 PM »
Subscription will only affect the network, nothing else.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

RodBearden

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Rod

thetrees

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
Your RadarBox should not disconnect.  This has been an issue in the past when there is a power saving mode set for the USB port, or if an over long USB cable is being used.  RadarBox gets its power through the USB lead, so if the power drops, then so does the connection.  Are you using the supplied USB cable?

Thanks for the link.
I am using the supplied USB cable, so maybe I need to try a different one.
Laurence

thetrees

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 09:24:13 PM »
Thanks Rod, Allocator and 'Airnav' for helping to clarify things.

Now if there was only a way to make global updates of the db3 file!
Laurence

darkskies74

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 09:58:18 PM »
Hi darkskies,

1. With the standard RadarBox, you will get 12 months free access to the RadarBox Network and you will be able to see all the traffic shared by other RadarBox users, wherever they are in the world.  After 12 months, the Network access will cost 5 Euros per month.  Network data is delayed by 5 minutes for security reasons.

2. There isn't a "Professional" version of RadarBox, but there is a subscription for access to live Network data, rather than the standard 5 minutes delayed.  You won't mix up the two, as professional access is at a professional price - big bucks - and only available to professional and Government organisations.

3. RadarBox will work anywhere in the world.  The majority of airliners will show on the map, some will only show in the list (older airliners or those without a modern Mode S fit) and some won't show at all - small light aircraft and helicopters.

Hope this helps :-)

Great help. Many thanks!!

darkskies74

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 11:23:01 PM »
Does anyone know if Radar box can run with live flight tracker? I've got Live flight tracker 6, and am not sure if it's worth keeping it if I get RBox.
If I get RBox and Airnav suite together, will that give me good coverage of NorthWest UK (where I live) and the N.Atlantic (which is also what I want with my ever trusty AOR8000 HF receiver)?

Cheers :o)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 11:53:26 PM »
You can have Live Flight Tracker run at the same time as RadarBox but they won't interact with other, the same goes for Suite.

RadarBox and its network will allow you perfect coverage of NW UK and many other places around the globe. As we don't have any RBs in the Atlantic :) your Live Flight Tracker will give you a view of the Atlantic.

We are considering requests about having some of the Live Flight Tracker data available to RB network customers in the future.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]