anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Network Server  (Read 3899 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Network Server
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:05:38 AM »
An update to our users on the status of the new server implementation: as you may know we will soon be using a brand new server to host the RadarBox Network (and other online applications from AirNav Systems).

We are still configuring this server and this work should take 5-8 more days. Due to this reason it is possible that you experience some network server outages (not longer than 30mins/1 hour) during the next few days.

We apologize for this fact and will do our best to try to have the new server online ASAP.

Brian L

Re: Network Server
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 03:58:12 PM »
Hi
Can you throw the whole Network issue into the Forum for discussion, please? I have now been using ANRB for over a year and have used Networking a few times BUT, now I am being asked to pay up over £50 to renew it on my ANRB I query why we actually need it!
The sticking point for me is the 5 minute built in delay. In 5 minutes a modern aircraft can be 50 or so miles away from the point that the Network last shows it at and in any one of 360 degrees. There is no guarantee it will keep flying in a straight line and effectively it could be anywhere!
On top of which, why would I want to know what was in the skies say, 100 miles from me, 5 minutes ago? Or why would another ANRB user living a 100 miles away be interested in what was in the skies above me 5 minutes ago!!
Frankly I cannot see the point of Networking with a delay! And £50 a year (which is currently the same near enough as $50) seems to me to be a waste of money - and a LOT of money at that!
Would somebody - other than AirNav's Hero - like to try and make me see the point of it?
Many thanks,
Brian L.

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
Hi Brian,
Apparently the 5 min delay is all because of security reasons though I dont understand why they have brought the Pro version of the network out which is the network in real time.
John
Johnn -

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 04:30:07 PM »
Frankly I cannot see the point of Networking with a delay! And £50 a year (which is currently the same near enough as $50) seems to me to be a waste of money - and a LOT of money at that!
Would somebody - other than AirNav's Hero - like to try and make me see the point of it?

If you don't need it and/or don't want it, surely the answer is simply not to buy it ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
Brian many threads and posts about this, please search the forum. The choice is yours.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

AllanK

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:29:16 PM »
If you don't need it and/or don't want it, surely the answer is simply not to buy it ?
And I wont after my year is up.  I rarely enable network flights and think it reasonable if you provide data to the network (free) then why not view other's data (free)?

pijama

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:17:05 AM »
Thanks airnav!

No problem.
Keep your good work!

Fenris

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:23:13 AM »
Hi Brian,
Apparently the 5 min delay is all because of security reasons though I dont understand why they have brought the Pro version of the network out which is the network in real time.
John

They vet purchasers of the Pro version and require certain conditions (essentially that they are industry organisations with a requirement for real time data involved in dispatching and/or operating flights). This is a legal requirement in some countries, particularly the UK and US.

My personal view is that sooner or later this state of affairs will change, but at present governments and their security advisers believe that delayed data avoids certain vulnerabilies. Without knowing what these are (they won't tell you) it is not possible to analyse whether these vulnerabilities are real or not.