anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: sensitivity radarbox-sbs1e  (Read 17380 times)

jdo

sensitivity radarbox-sbs1e
« on: March 02, 2009, 07:21:42 AM »
hallo to all the users.can anyone tell me which receiver has the best sencitivity,rb or sbs1e;i,m very comfused to decide which i must take. thank to the forum..jdo.

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
Re: sensitivity radarbox-sbs1e
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:46:19 AM »
I've used both systems and there isn't a great deal between them for sensitivity, the difference is in the software and the user interface.

Have a look at this section and it will compare both systems.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=606.0

Stuart

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:01:53 AM »
I've used both systems and there isn't a great deal between them for sensitivity, Have a look at this section and it will compare both systems.

I'm sure AirNav won't mind me saying, in fairness, that the comparison document has yet to be updated to reflect the changes from SBS-1 to SBS-1e - principally the increase in sensitivity (one of the points you mentioned) and reduction in physical size.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 02:05:27 PM »
 Taking in account our own tests and dozens of reports done by users all over the world the sensitivity of RadarBox is similar compared with its competition (or even better as reported in some cases).

SBS-1 and SBS1e sensitivity is, in practical terms, exactly the same (as reported by several users on this and on their forum).

Taking in account this you should base your decision on the quality of the software provided with both products: RadarBox 2009 software has been developed over the years and contains hundreds of innovative feature like the Network where you can see traffic received by other users all over the world.
It is being used by several airlines and airports (adding to the thousands of enthusiast users). It contains Alerts, ACARS Interface and a sophisticated MyLog feature where you can log all the flights received in real-time, search the logs, generate reports, etc.

Check all the details at:

Adding to this we have online video support and other relevant documentation available at:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=607.0
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 05:10:28 PM by AirNav Development »

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »
AirNav,

You really don't do yourselves any favours knocking the competition. Don't forget that your potential customers can look back through the forum and see all the gripes that users have. I have been directly alongside users of the SBS-1, original version, in the field (latest last Thursday) and their boxes picked up the same number of aircraft as mine.

Your software is a superior, all-in-one package but in fact MyLog, due to bugs, falls far short of some of the free software available on the opposition's site. That's why many of us very keen users rely on other software to produce useful reports. As regards the network, I am frequently able to track aircraft on another network (free) when it does not appear at all or is soon lost on the AirNav network. The same network allows me to record the data I download and frequently picks up callsigns which never seem to be picked up by ANRB. I'm very much looking forward to the next version of the software as I'm a little fed up with the slowness and freezing I experience on my well specified desktop.

When I was selling systems for the largest computer manufacturer in the world many years ago we were told never to slag off the opposition, rather we were told to say to any customer who asked, "I'm sorry I don't know about XYZ product but I can tell you that our product is consistently rated No.1 in independent tests."
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 04:37:42 PM »
Viking9,

As you mentioned, we don't know about the other product but dealers report that RadarBox has now more than 75% of the ADS-B market share.

The only statement on our post mentioning our competition was "Our competition provides an old/outdated software that did not have a major version for the last few years and where the network feature does not exist."

It is a fact and totally true.

Regarding your opinions, we don't agree with them but you are free to post them here as, again, this is a free forum.

Our network is, as with many other features and as you said included in the software and does not depend on external software to work. It is by far the biggest ADS-B network available in the world.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 05:12:49 PM by AirNav Development »

OKC-Steve

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 04:46:18 PM »
No one has spent the time to come up with a test setup. Minimum Discernable Signal, Saturation Signal, Garble Sensitivity, and DME suppression bandwidth.

I suspect they both use the same Analog Devices receiver chip, the same filter width, so the test would have to determine which one handles garble better, or is more resistant to interferrence.

Barring that test, the customer would probably choose which device they wanted, by looking at the software package that displays the result.

Some people need a lot of eye candy, others like to see a lot less.  Myself, if I like a black screen, green tracks, and a couple VOR's to orient myself :-)

kdt1

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 07:17:16 PM »
No one has spent the time to come up with a test setup. Minimum Discernable Signal, Saturation Signal, Garble Sensitivity, and DME suppression bandwidth.

I suspect they both use the same Analog Devices receiver chip, the same filter width, so the test would have to determine which one handles garble better, or is more resistant to interferrence.

Barring that test, the customer would probably choose which device they wanted, by looking at the software package that displays the result.

Some people need a lot of eye candy, others like to see a lot less.  Myself, if I like a black screen, green tracks, and a couple VOR's to orient myself :-)

Right on Steve!  All about truly making it the best it can be.
I do think if neither company is really serious about listening to
their customers it’s just a matter of time. And that’s no fun.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:46:23 PM »
Having fired up my SBS-1 for the first time in 6 months, I must say that it just didn't hold my attention for long.  I got bored long before I figured out how to install all the add-ons needed to get even half the functionality of the RadarBox interface.

Just my opinion, but the SBS-1 goes back in the cupboard.

OKC-Steve

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 07:48:25 PM »
Right on Steve!  All about truly making it the best it can be.
I do think if neither company is really serious about listening to
their customers it’s just a matter of time. And that’s no fun.

I don't think "the most sensitive" is really what people want. Why would you want the most sensitive?  These things have an Omni antenna, so you really need to reduce sensitivity.  You want the range small, so they don't overload and saturate.

If you have fantastic sensitivity, and an Omni antenna, then you have fantastic garbled replies.  The only way to match fantastic sensitivity, is to reduce the antenna beamwidth, and go to a narrow beam (say 3 degrees).

Ah!  But then you have to rotate the antenna.  I don't think girls will date men who have rotating antennas on their car...  :-)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »
Steve,

You don't think that "Come and see my rotating antenna" will do the trick then - lol

OKC-Steve

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 07:58:05 PM »
Having fired up my SBS-1 for the first time in 6 months, I must say that it just didn't hold my attention for long.  I got bored long before I figured out how to install all the add-ons needed to get even half the functionality of the RadarBox interface.

Just my opinion, but the SBS-1 goes back in the cupboard.

I was hoping Piotr would finish his Linux interface to the SBS raw USB.  Alas, looks like he's burried in school work.

I've been using the Boris SBS raw interface, but it is Windows only, and you need to have Basestation running.  Piotr's didn't need that, but then it only runs for an hour or so before it crashes.

I don't have any of the fancy add-ons.  I'm not really interested in the registration number, the flight-plan, or having a picture of the airplane pop-up, or have an icon of the airline banner or what the profile of the plane looks like.

I'm happy just to see the Mode-S hex code!

The real thing I like about the SBS is you can saw it in two, and put the receiver remotely from the digital side.  But then I've been sawing-up PC boards ever since my Heathkit H-89 never had any add-ons, but I could saw a hole in a prototype card, and glue-in an Apple card to interface with :-)

OKC-Steve

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
Steve,

You don't think that "Come and see my rotating antenna" will do the trick then - lol

Well, maybe a woman with 4-kids living in a van down by the river...

kdt1

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 08:37:51 PM »

Well, maybe a woman with 4-kids living in a van down by the river...

[/quote]

AH   Mr. Farley....

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 08:40:05 PM »
Hi jdo, my main reason for selecting the RB rather than the SBS box, is very simple, I'm not into computer programming - I wanted something I could plug together and see what I now do, without having to download other software and play around.   My choice was largely influenced by a number of Forum users (from both sides) who in my circumstances advised me to go for the RB, I've had no cause to regret that choice, yesterday in just over 2 hours "playing" I'd hit the 200 A/C mark, and that's on the bog standard antenna shoved out of a window on the flat roof above, with no reception through the north east to south east, due to a roof ridge behind.

If you're into tinkering with computer programs and machine code, the SBS may be better for you, if you want plug and play go, for the RB, currently available with an improved antenna for a fair bit less than the SBS.

http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/Scanning-and-Receiving/Radio-Scanners/Aircraft-Receivers/AIRNAV-RADAR-BOX this bargain courtesy of Hamish who posted it
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!