AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Patch Beta Update  (Read 5730 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 65
New Patch Beta Update
« on: September 16, 2007, 10:04:54 AM »
I have trawled through the forum and looked at responses to questions posted in regards to What drivers are you using , make sure the firmware is upgraded and so on .
Now i know a small bit regarding computers and software but all these technical issues are beyond me and probaly some others who use this product.
Why can`t things be simplified a little an idiots guide or something .
Why i ask this is that i am getting a little frustrated with obviously the wait for the completed article but i think that simplified instructions would aid in the process of the upgrade as more people could join in and add better value to the cause of a completed working version.
At the moment i cannot even entertain the idea of switching my Rbox on as it just packs up with the dreaded blue screen and othe issues.
So at the moment i have £400 of technology sitting doing nothing .
I was really pro Radarbox and was one of the first to put the stop on anyone rubbishing it and would even reassure people in the product and its development.
Now my tune is changing slightly ,i do not want Airnav assurances of its soon just waiting for beta testers reports ,i require action and direction deadlines .
Maybe an answer was posted saying that the forum is quiet at the moment  so the patch must be working for the majority of users, or maybe users are getting bored and cannot entertain the idea  of replying on the forum.
I speak for myself and not for others so this may sound like a moan but things are not oving quickly enough for me.
Regards in frustration

AirNav Support

  • AirNav Systems
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4124
Re: New Patch Beta Update
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 11:45:42 AM »
Hi spotter70,

Firstly we apologise profusely for the trouble caused.

Secondly the instructions are written out step by step and are pretty simple if you understand how to update your drivers and extract files. So far the majority of customers who have run into trouble (except Vista customers which is now fixed)
has been because either they did not follow the instructions or as English is not there first language they did not understand them.

The second post on the patch also contains some further information to help upgrade as well as some troubleshooting tips if things don't work. Furthermore as you can check last week when the patch was released we were around answering questions within 30 mins on the forums for any issues.

You mention that you think customers have become bored of posting. If there were many customers in your situation I don't think they would be bored but as in your case they would be frustrated and posting. You only need to look at the posts last Thurs/Friday when the beta patch was delayed to understand.

Otherwise here is a stat of customers using the network at the moment:

Version 1.0: 11
Version 1.1: 2
Version 1.2: 17

The majority from those customers have upgraded. The ones remaining on Version 1.0 are not experiencing any issues and hence have not upgraded.

Just to explain a few details from our side:

Beta -

A beta is intended to be a test version so we can get a good indication of whether bugs have been rectified and whether any bugs still remain. We prefer in this case to have customers who have computer knowledge to try them as they are likely to give us detailed information of the issue while a non experienced customer would likely just say it does not work and not go further which defeats the point of a beta.

Last Patches:

We are in a bit of Catch 21 situation with customers who have had issues. Before this patch was released we a had customers who had issues emailing and posting asking for an update asp. We had a couple of choices once we had a got a version which fixed the problems.

1.) Ignore customers and release full version without customer testing in a few weeks time
2.) Release Beta so customers who had problems can upgrade and also get feedback
3.) Delay beta a week untill full install is ready.

You only need to read through last week posts to realise that 1) & 3) would not be the best solution.

In your case Sir I would suggest at least trying the beta if you can. Follow the second topic post on the forum regarding the beta and any questions or issues then post.

Our phase now is to gain as much feedback about the latest patch and then release a full version. However only untill we a satisfied with it.

Hope that explains things.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 12:06:57 PM by AirNav Support »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
[email protected]


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 65
Re: New Patch Beta Update
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »
Hello Airnav and thankyou for your concise reply
As a Vista user there are still problems from the last patch which has caused problems in my operation of my laptop.
i am not going to entertain the idea of another patch until the complete version is available.
i do not know enough about Drivers and extracted files to look at the patch option.
I understand that you use more computer literate people to test bugs in the system.
My point is that complete novices like myself are purchasing your product at great expense but require a need as much as those who are more technically minded who have used this type of software before (sbs-1).
And understand the formular for progression in this field.
As for your Catch 22 situation that is something for yourselves to sort out.


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 600
  • Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
Re: New Patch Beta Update
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 03:36:08 PM »

I have got beta 1.2 working successfully and it is great. Neither of my PC's has crashed since the upgrade.  However, I followed your instructions to the letter and it still did not work first time. I had to go through it again step by step and check what had and what hadn't actually loaded.  That was easy with the Operating program as the version number is on the about screen. That was easy with the Drivers as the version number is in the device manager area. But for the most important piece of the puzzle, the Firmware - there is no clues at ll to what version is running. I think as a matter priority the full release must have an easy way of detecting which version of the Firmware is loaded. And also the ability to get at an incorrect version even if the correct drivers are not loaded (I am sure DaveG would have appreciated that).

This is not a have-a-go- message but a heart felt plea from someone who believes they were very Lucky that their installation worked, and so that no more people have problems in the future. I would hate to have to return my box to Portugal just because an upgrade failed. :-(

AirNav Support

  • AirNav Systems
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4124
Re: New Patch Beta Update
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 03:41:31 PM »

The new version will display the firmware version so it will get around that confusion. So far only DaveG has had to send it back so we are unconvinced that you are actually "break" RadarBox by getting lost in the instructions. Its looks like the box gave out for some other reason and it was unfortunate coincidence.

While there have been posts on the forums for help and customers getting a bit lost in the upgrade procedure the network stats and installs we see speak for themselves that a vast majority upgraded and are silently (forum use) using it.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
[email protected]


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Re: New Patch Beta Update
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 05:54:52 PM »
I've been using V1.2 without any problem since it was released. Installation is quite simple and support is fast and of great help. Not a single hardware disconnect and all works Ok.
Simply outstanding job.