anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Connectors cables sky dish and di poles  (Read 7396 times)

vassylad

Connectors cables sky dish and di poles
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:05:52 AM »
Hi Guys was disconnecting my antenna from the RB and to my surprise the hard copper connector within the mounting that fits into the RB has broken off!, I have managed to push it back in and all seems ok. My question is this if I go to Maplins do you think they could fix it?. and what is the name of the cable and connector for the RB please.

I have a di-pole on the eave of the house facing South East that I used to use for ACARS a long time ago using the old Airmaster software, would it be possible to run the coax from the RB up and into the exsisting di-pole?

My current antenna or the one that came with RB is outside my bedroom window and magnetised to the satellite dish which gives varying results, but nothing fantastic, would it be safe to say the higher the antenna the better reception.

Mike Vass

Fenris

Re: Connectors cables sky dish and di poles
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 09:12:11 AM »
You won't be able to use the ACARS dipole, it's for a totally different frequency.

As for the connector problem, it is an SMA connector. I don't know if Maplin stock them but it should be covered by Airnav's warranty. Are you saying that the pin in the connector has come out? You mentioned the SMA connector on the box as well, that is much less likely to be affected but it is possible. So which is it?

I don't know what sort of SMA is used, there are different versions. If the pin is a soldered part then it is possible that the joint has failed. There are also crimped parts available, in that case the crimping pressure could be too low and hence the pin slides off the inner conductor.

I'd say it's a warranty job myself.

vassylad

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »
Hi Ferris yes its the pin in the connector thats come out from the antenna itself and I do believe it would have been soldered, the box seems fine. I can only say that the SMA connector is very small (maybe somebody out there would know the name of it) and yes I will call the supplier and get it replaced I must say I was surprised and shocked to find it.

Michael

jgrloit

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 11:38:55 AM »
I had a similar problem, and when I carefully cut the heat shrink tube off - I found that the braid, outer, had broken letting the centre cable slide back.
I have pushed the inner through - to connect and have a good contact on the braid - for internal use.
The system now works, but I am looking for a spare antenna for mobile working.
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

vassylad

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 11:42:51 AM »
I had a similar problem, and when I carefully cut the heat shrink tube off - I found that the braid, outer, had broken letting the centre cable slide back.
I have pushed the inner through - to connect and have a good contact on the braid - for internal use.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 11:45:21 AM »
Hi Mike, in my experience, Maplins won't fix at all, they may advise how to do it and sell the components but that's as far as they'll go!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

EK01

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
For connectors try Maplins website. www.maplins.co.uk then go into components and connectors. They have all manner of bits and bobs.

Cheers,

Ian

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 01:37:40 PM »

Have a look at these antennas. I bought the MD-1100-Kit-A. It's a superb antenna and is waterproof.

http://www.hamradio.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&PR=-1&TB=A&SS=md-1100&ACTION=Search

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Blackthorn

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 04:58:27 PM »
Agree with Tom the 1100 kit works well, may be worth getting the 5db gain version which only costs a few pounds more.

vassylad

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »
A million thanks guys..

Michael

vassylad

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 12:46:46 PM »
Thanks mate so I guess this comes fitted with the connectors for both the RB and the antenna and is it magnetic like the original antenna, I assume there is nothing complex about putting it together, nevertheless thanks for your recommendation..

Michael

Agree with Tom the 1100 kit works well, may be worth getting the 5db gain version which only costs a few pounds more.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 04:01:45 PM »
Thanks mate so I guess this comes fitted with the connectors for both the RB and the antenna and is it magnetic like the original antenna, I assume there is nothing complex about putting it together, nevertheless thanks for your recommendation..

Michael

Michael,

Yes, it has a very strong magnetic base with a rubber covering. To assemble, you just screw in the antenna cable and the whip. You can specify the length of cable you want and the connector (SMA or BNC).

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

vassylad

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »
Once again thanks for you reply, I have also bought the patch to aid the performance and hopefully to get better results.

Michael

Michael

Michael,

Yes, it has a very strong magnetic base with a rubber covering. To assemble, you just screw in the antenna cable and the whip. You can specify the length of cable you want and the connector (SMA or BNC).

Tom