anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New - AirNav RadarBox - Heathrow Webcam  (Read 89236 times)

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: New - AirNav RadarBox - Heathrow Webcam
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2009, 01:19:42 PM »

Different rate of climb?

On approach, all aircraft are going to be following more or less the same nominal glidepath aiming at the runway threshold.  On departure, they will be getting airborne at a slightly different points and climbing at a different rates.  So, it will be much easier to point the webcam to see the aircraft on approach, but more difficult for climbout?

That's my guess anyway - standing by to be corrected :-)
Yes - that's spot on Allocator. I've been watching the take offs on 9R today and the a/c are several hundred feet higher than the point the camera is fixed and as they are always on 9R they are also too distant. The a/c are at many various different points in the sky and so it's very difficult to photograph them let alone trigger the camera. I have tried to work out the section of the sky that most a/c pass through but then I've had focusing problems. The only solution appears to be the PTZ IP camera which can be controlled to follow a/c. Some PTZ IP cameras have tracking but not sure how reliable this would be. These cameras aren't cheap though. Perhaps when the Cranford Agreement is completely removed and take offs begin on 09L (will they ever, does anyone know?) then I would have a shot at capturing those.

elal

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 07:56:45 PM »
Hi James, I'm really enjoying your cam

I have 2 short questions

1)what is the reason that the camera is switched off daily at 20:36, It would be great if it was left on untill a bit later (I like watching ELAL come in, and it comes in daily between 20:40 - 20:50)

2)Why is it at times that it's stated on the screen "camera off" and the cam is actually on?
for example daily between 20:30 - 20:36, or last week when the camera caught a glorious shot of a Sri Lankan A340 taking off, and the camera was off

Once again thanks a million for your great work and keep it up

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 05:27:09 PM »
Hi James, I'm really enjoying your cam

I have 2 short questions

1)what is the reason that the camera is switched off daily at 20:36, It would be great if it was left on untill a bit later (I like watching ELAL come in, and it comes in daily between 20:40 - 20:50)

2)Why is it at times that it's stated on the screen "camera off" and the cam is actually on?
for example daily between 20:30 - 20:36, or last week when the camera caught a glorious shot of a Sri Lankan A340 taking off, and the camera was off

Once again thanks a million for your great work and keep it up

Hi elal

1) I'm using AI Robot to automate the system and I had it set at that time to switch off the triggering simply so we don't get too dark pictures. With sunset much later now I will increase this time from tonight to 9pm.

2) Thanks for spotting this. I had AI Robot set to do camera off too early. I've corrected it now. The Sri Lankan was a fluke last week. I normally power down the equipment but left it on just in case the wind was to change. I've experimented with capturing take off on 9L but it would need another camera. I already put more details about this in this thread. I think I will look into this when take off's start on 9L if they ever do as they will be much closer.

Thanks for using the site.

James
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:34:29 PM by HeathrowCam - Support »

simonwien

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
Hi all I am new here just found the Heathrow cam so at last we have one for Heathrow the busiest Int airport and home of the plane spotter I can't understand why its taken so long and also its about time we had live atc from Heathrow too, on the Internet you can get most large Airports in the US so why not here, the radar is a great feature when its running as it also show the a/c reg.
Well done to all involved would love to see streaming cam too, but I know this is asking a bit much :)

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 03:39:55 PM »
Hi Simon

Welcome to the site. Glad you like it.

You can also pick out the a/c reg for the a/c landing on 27R by using the "zoom on" link then use the up and down arrows to zoom in and out.

I had couple of home network blips today affecting the RadarBox screenshot but this should be back to normal now. I have it running 24/7.

I would really like to add a stream cam. I'm looking into it.

All the best
James

simonwien

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »
Thank you James for welcome I have tried the zoom but my eyesight not best but I can get most reg from RadarBox. But I do have a question on the log can I change and or delete I have some duplicates and I have made a mistake on one of them. I'm very glad to have found your site thank you again.
Simon

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 06:48:58 AM »
Hi Simon

I have the change and delete feature on my work list. I'm also planning on having an icon under each thumbnail or just under the main photo to pop up the RadarBox screenshot from the same time the photo was taken. I think that would be pretty neat/useful.

James

simonwien

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 03:42:54 PM »
Yes sounds pretty good to me your doing a great job there I know its a lazy way of spotting but these days I don't have time to go to airports not like in the 80s when I used to travel all over inc Europe and buy all the books but once you started you always look at aircraft my trouble is now I don't recognise many of the aircraft is it me or do many of them look all the same? Not like the old days with the 727s dc9s dc10s, tristars etc etc, OK OK I know I'm old.
Thx again
Simon

elal

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »
Yes sounds pretty good to me your doing a great job there I know its a lazy way of spotting but these days I don't have time to go to airports not like in the 80s when I used to travel all over inc Europe and buy all the books but once you started you always look at aircraft my trouble is now I don't recognise many of the aircraft is it me or do many of them look all the same? Not like the old days with the 727s dc9s dc10s, tristars etc etc, OK OK I know I'm old.
Thx again
Simon

I also can't recognise between the aircrafts types, for example between the 737 and A319/20/21 series, or between the 757 and 767 or A330 (especially wth BA who for some reason don't write the model type on the aircraft).
The 747 and A340 and of course the A380 are easy to recognise, the 777 can also be easily recognised by it's set of 3 rear wheels.
Does anybody have any other ways of recognising any other aircraft?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:04:39 PM by elal »

simonwien

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 07:19:37 PM »

I also can't recognise between the aircrafts types, for example between the 737 and A319/20/21 series, or between the 757 and 767 or A330 (especially wth BA who for some reason don't write the model type on the aircraft).
The 747 and A340 and of course the A380 are easy to recognise, the 777 can also be easily recognised by it's set of 3 rear wheels.
[/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one :)

bigjim

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2009, 10:38:13 AM »

Glad I'm not the only one :)
[/quote]

The give away with the 737 is the kink in the fin, the A320's is completely straight. Also the 737 has a pointier nose. The 757 is quite distinct to my view as it has a very rakish appearance, distinguishable from the A321 by its much larger fin.

simonwien

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
Thank you bigjim its a great help

iansuth21

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »
Hi I have set up a streaming webcam at Glasgow perhaps something like this could be set up for Heathrow the link is http://patriot.camstreams.com/
Hi all I am new here just found the Heathrow cam so at last we have one for Heathrow the busiest Int airport and home of the plane spotter I can't understand why its taken so long and also its about time we had live atc from Heathrow too, on the Internet you can get most large Airports in the US so why not here, the radar is a great feature when its running as it also show the a/c reg.
Well done to all involved would love to see streaming cam too, but I know this is asking a bit much :)

simonwien

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2009, 02:31:13 PM »
Hi I have set up a streaming webcam at Glasgow perhaps something like this could be set up for Heathrow the link is http://patriot.camstreams.com/

OK great will check it out

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2009, 04:25:48 PM »
Ian - cool cam. The frame rate is really good. Is it about 25 frames a second?

What camera are you using? I'm currently looking at Megapixel IP Cameras and trying to decide whether I should spend a bit more for a progressive scan ccd as I had bad experience with a Canon VB-C50's interlacing messing up the edges of the a/c.

Cheers
James