anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New - AirNav RadarBox - Heathrow Webcam  (Read 89239 times)

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
New - AirNav RadarBox - Heathrow Webcam
« on: February 19, 2009, 01:35:01 PM »
The original site is currently down while we prepare the new site for go live.

More details here:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2203.0

Thanks to all in advance for your support in testing out the site here:
http://heathrowcam.net/indenew.php

Please let me know on this thread if you hit any issues.

Thanks
James

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:23:37 PM by HeathrowCam - Support »

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Re: New - AirNav RadarBox - Heathrow Webcam
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 02:35:25 PM »
Hi James, I don't know if this if a problem at my end - photos are coming through as they should, but on Live Radar, I'm just getting the same RB display timed at 1208UTC today, nothing showing on it,and after each update, the screen is just the same, now 1436.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:12:04 PM »
Hi Jon, thanks. I was doing some work to set up my RB antenna elsewhere. Ideally I need to add a service status window or simply a message/icon to indicate if the RB is offline for maintenance. Thanks for sparking that idea! James

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:25:34 PM »
Hi James, the display is off your RB then?   Many thanks for sharing it with us, and the superb pics.    Being right down in sw Cornwall, it is great being able to view LHR.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »
Yes, got my ANRB on a dedicated pc running H24 uploading every minute. Now it's all set up and running with the website I'm aiming for zero outages.

All the great comments like your own really makes all the hard work on the site so worthwhile. Thanks for the feedback. James 

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
James,

The live Heathrow screen shot display is looking good - well done with this and the webcam :-)

The only problem I see with the screen shot is that it does look a little cluttered.  Do you really need the range rings and the "path vectors"?  With all the traffic that you will get when it is busy, I think that it might be a case of less is better?

I'm sure that you will experiment and come up with the best options :-)

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Allocator

Below: Network traffic rather than live, but an interesting comparison.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3475/3297673893_64c465c9b4_o.jpg
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:59:02 PM by Allocator »

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 03:26:58 PM »
Hi Allocator

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I will have a play with the options soon. I was planning to add some outlines soon so unchecking some options to declutter is the way forward.

Thanks
James

beakyb

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 11:23:51 PM »
Hi James

Great webcam - absolutely superb!

One question - I've managed to establish that the cam is looking across Caroline Place, Nobel Drive & the A4 towards the BA 747 hangars but does this mean that the webcam is mounted on a pole in the middle of a field or is it as far back as Cranford Lane?!  Or has something been built since the Google Earth / Maps images were produced?

Totally intrigued - would also love to know whether the movement sensor is something unusual or special.

Once again, many thanks & long may the cam reign!

Best regards

Paul Burchell

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 12:30:16 PM »
Hi Paul

Good guesses! However, I'm keeping my location under my hat for obvious personal security reasons :-)

I'm planning on putting together a web page with details on how the camera works. Will post to this forum when I have news on this.

Thanks for the superb feedback. Much appreciated.

All the best
James

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »
Hi James,
Again, as previous, absolutely superb site, is there any chance of it ever tying in with the Heathrow Arrivals page............................?   We're never saitisfied, are we!

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:32:27 PM »
Hi Jon, thanks again! Plenty of great new ideas for site and yes I'd really like to add arrivals info page so I'm looking into how to pull out the data from my RB.

One really cool idea I have is to hook up an IP camera with PTZ ability (pan/tilt/zoom) and there's new progressive scan CCD ones available but for around the 1K mark. If enough people would be interested I could probably afford one assuming people would pay a subscription for the interactive use. I'll post a survey on it soon. How do you like that idea??

All the best James
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:59:37 AM by HeathrowCam - Support »

kevmul

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »
James,

Having just bought a RadarBox and joined the forum, I can't believe how good this cam is!
I often wondered whether such a cam existed and I've finally found it. I know how I'll be spending my spare time now (to say nothing of switching it on at work too!)

Thanks very much

Kev

bigjim

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 01:54:27 PM »
Lovely site, just seen 747SP HZ-AIF on the cam! Which makes me wonder is there any site that publishes lists of forthcoming visitors to Heathrow??

HeathrowCam - Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »
Hi Kev

Thanks for the really good words about the site.

I have the site on in the background at work too!

What do you think about having a live stream or even a controllable IP camera?

James

kevmul

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »
James

Live stream would be a real bonus.

Not sure how a controllable IP camera would work - but I'd be interested in finding out more.

How feasible would it be to link the shots to actual details of the flight - route, a/c registration etc. Probably a big task and maybe not even possible at the moment, but I keep the heathrow arrivals web page open and can make a pretty good guess where the a/c has come from (not too easy with BA though lol)

Thanks again

Kevin