anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coverage over Southern Ontario  (Read 3122 times)

farmboy

Coverage over Southern Ontario
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:37:05 PM »
Good Morning All!!  This is my first posting on this forum and I am in my second week on the RadarBox. I am checking on the coverage of South Ont and think there should be better coverage of CYYZ. Knowing there is more traffic than showing, and also I want to show major highways in Canada with only the USA across the border which are available.
any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.   farmboy

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Coverage over Southern Ontario
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »
Hi Farmboy and welcome to the forum!

You have probably already discovered that coverage of roads (on the Map...General Signs menu) is non-existant. The only way to add your own information is to use the NASA image overlays, or to create your own outlines.

If you don't know how to add your own outlines, there is an FAQ on the subject, or you can download instructions from the AirNav Utilities website: http://radarbox.gofreeserve.com/index.html

Hope that helps

Rod
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:13:49 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

prbflight

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:05:58 PM »
Welome to the world of RadarBox!

I'm north of you at CYYB.  Of course the airport here is a regional one and does not get the ADS-B heavies landing unless for an emergency or for touch n' go's.  I just watched as Air Canada C-FITW did some touch n' go's.  A really impressive sight as you see him set up for approach over Lake Nipissing.  Makes you realize just how huge he is.  We have a runway over 10,000' as we used to be one of the largest military bases in Canada.  It may not seem a big deal to anyone living in a large metro area with an international airport but for me it made my day.  Well it made my week and month also.  As well being in North America the regional carriers are not as well equipped with ADS-B like you see over in the UK and Europe.  I pick up many inbound and outbound international flights but nothing like you'd get in southern Ontario by CYYZ or KDTW.  I'm just using my supplied antenna on my desk top or window sill when the weather is good.  By the way Farmboy be sure to download all of the great outline files that Rod has provided for the group.  Be sure to get the one for CYYB.  You never know when there will be more touch n' go training flights up this way!

Paul@cyyb
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:14:22 PM by prbflight »

farmboy

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:20:37 PM »
Thanks for you reply, but I do not understand what you mean re roads! I push regional roads on my menu and they show up for US but not Canada!  Thanks

farmboy

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
Thanks prbflight. Things have really picked up with traffic near CYYZ as you can see on the network. I guess it is the time of the day for the action to begin!!

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
You're right - the USA is the only country where road and city information exists in the RadarBox maps.

That's why if you want them you'll have to use the NASA images or draw your own roads, via the Outlines feature.

Rod
Rod