anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how to show GROUND in myflights  (Read 17097 times)

mdobuk21

how to show GROUND in myflights
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:22:54 PM »
hi guys

can anyone explain to myself how can see aircraft in myflights to show being on the ground instead of showing levelled? as i only live a few miles from Leeds Bradford Airport i know when certain aircraft are on the deck!

cheers for any help

mark

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: how to show GROUND in myflights
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:02:18 PM »
Hi Mark

Use the Quickfilter above the MyFlights grid:

Set the first field to Status, set the centre field to =  and click the button beside the third field - you'll want "0Ground"  then click the Filter button.

That should do it.

EDIT - Does anyone know what "5Deleted" is meant to show???

Rod
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:07:31 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

mdobuk21

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:14:46 PM »
cheers Rod

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 10:15:54 PM »
Make sure you set Leeds Bradford (EGNM) as the airport to get the QNH (currently 1011hPa) from in SmartView - tick the Autoset QNH tickbox.  Then aircraft should show as on the ground when at 0ft QNH.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:21:49 PM by tarbat »

dudbaker

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 08:55:33 AM »
Tarbat

I am having trouble with this as LBA runway is at 681 ft.
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 09:10:52 AM »
Okay, I've got no way of testing this, as all runways near me are almost at sea-level.  I always thought that setting the QNH would fix altitute readouts correctly.  So, check that:

1. You've got autoset QNH ticked, and the correct airport setup, on Smartview, and the QNH pressure is correctly set.
In my screenshot, I have EGQK (Kinloss) selected as the airport, and that is currently reporting a QNH of 1017.

2. You've set the transition altitude in preference.  I have mine set to 9999, so that anything below 10,000 feet (FL100) is corrected for the airport QNH.

See screenshots attached.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:15:09 AM by tarbat »

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 09:53:18 AM »
Tarbat,

There is no such thing as 'airfield QNH'. QNH is the barometric pressure at mean sea level (AMSL) for the region. Therefore, if you set QNH for the area it will always show the airfield's height above mean seal level. The barometric pressure at airfield level is known as the QFE and when set on a barometric altimeter will show 0' at airfield level.

The setting in preferences is to set the QNH so that aircraft show their height above mean sea level below the transition altitude set in the box above. Because the airports around you are almost at sea level, setting the correct QNH will result in the ac being shown at or around 0' when on the ground but at any other airport the height will always be the airport's elevation above mean sea level.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Keith L

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 10:00:31 AM »
Setting the correct QNH will cause the altitude above mean sea level to be displayed.  To display 0 on an airfield would require the QFE to be set.  Pressure is measured in hectopascals as far as the UK is concerned (1hPa is the same as 1 millibar, the US measure pressure in inches).  For our purposes we will assume that 1hPa is equivilant to 30 feet. Leeds is published as elevation 682 feet, so the QFE will be 682/30=22.73hPa different to the QNH.  If you subtract 23 from the current QNH and enter it in the File - Preferences - QNH box as per Tarbat's screenshot you should see aircraft on the ground reading as 0'.  Hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:03:27 AM by Keith L »
7 miles ENE of Luton (EGGW)

dudbaker

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 10:08:07 AM »
Tarbat

Sorry.  I read too much into the 0 in 0ground.  Tried it on network flights and could see aircraft on the gorund at Prestwick and Skipol.  Will try it at Stansted when one lands.

At least I now know where the machine gets QNH

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

Keith L

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 10:13:29 AM »
Dudley,

Stansted is 348' amsl so the QFE right now (QNH is 1015) would be about 1003hPa

Keith
7 miles ENE of Luton (EGGW)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:20:47 AM »
Understand now - thanks.  So, with the correct local QNH set in RB, the altitude of an aircraft on the runway will show as the airfield height above sea-level.

I also understand that some types of aircraft which are on the ground may be sending out 0ft as part of there computer system, just to indicate they are on the ground - as per this post from Airnav - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1728.msg13704#msg13704

Locally to me, aircraft are generally instructed to set "clutch QFE" or "clutch QNH", depending on whether they're using the bombing range or not.  See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1048.msg7944#msg7944

At least Radarbox does correct for local QNH.  The SBS-1 Basestation makes no such correction, and I used to regularly see Tornados flying at NEGATIVE (-200ft) altitudes on my SBS-1.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:47:28 AM by tarbat »

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 11:33:56 AM »
Hi Tarbat, Ah, so you really are human like the rest of us!   A very useful and enlightening thread for all of us.

At least Radarbox does correct for local QNH.  The SBS-1 Basestation makes no such correction, and I used to regularly see Tornados flying at NEGATIVE (-200ft) altitudes on my SBS-1.

No wonder the neighbours complain about dangerously low flying!

ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

dudbaker

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:55 AM »
Hi

I pressume the Clutch is Lossie and Kinloss.  There is a clutch for Brize and Lyneham.  Clutch pressure is used in preference to Airfield QHN.  Regeonal pressure settings are change hourly but airfield and clutch may be more often.

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]

dudbaker

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 11:48:31 AM »
Hi

Unfortunatly, 0ground does not always work.  I have just monitored 3 aircraft on the ground at Stansted all at 370 ft.  Do not show on Status 0ground but listed for Altitude < 400 feet.  Along with several timedout.

Dudley
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 12:51:49 PM »
Hi

I pressume the Clutch is Lossie and Kinloss.  There is a clutch for Brize and Lyneham.  Clutch pressure is used in preference to Airfield QHN.  Regeonal pressure settings are change hourly but airfield and clutch may be more often.

Dudley

Dudley,

There is no such thing as 'airfield QNH'. Barometric pressure at field elevation is QFE.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk