anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loss of Range  (Read 38435 times)

9M-ISJ

Loss of Range
« on: February 09, 2009, 07:40:23 AM »
Hi,

I live in the Heathrow area and I seem to have lost a lot of my range, and was wondering if others had noticed the same thing recently? (ie trying to see if its an atmospheric issue).

I seem unable to pick up anything much to the North of me, which didnt use to be a problem - for example the Biggin hold is totally out of range for me at the moment, where as before it was always visible.

Likewise STN and LTN in and outs are gone, always had them to some extent before.

Coverage to the South of me seems down too, but not so much.

Any comments / ideas??

Gulfstream

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
Re: Loss of Range
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:21:06 AM »
Hi Gulfstream,

It sounds more like an antenna problem. I suggest you go into 'Preferences' and select 'clear/reset polar diagram'. Then click on the polar diagram and allow it a day or so to develop. I'd also ensure that your antenna connection on the RB is tight, beware of overtightening though.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

9M-ISJ

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:44:48 AM »
Hi,

I tend to agree.

Perhaps I should explain more... my antenna is screwed into place in my loft (and hasnt moved).

I have been away to the States for the past week, and took the RDB with me.

So, the change in range has happened during that time.

All I have done is unscrewed the down lead from the fixed antenna when I left and reconnected it on Sunday when I got back.... I have since tried unconnecting and reconnecting a couple of times, but the range is still basically hopeless.

What else could have gone wrong?? Starting to worry that the unit itself has been damaged in some way....

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
I put my RB on this morning (location 5 nm north of Heathrow) and it seemed really quiet.  Maybe there isn't a great deal of traffic this morning?

9M-ISJ

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:50:01 AM »
Hi,

Dont think it is that... yesterday I was looking for YR-BQP and it must have been in the hold to the NE of LHR (forgotten which that is) but I didnt get anything on the screen until it was on finals.

Same this morning, I sat and watched a Ryanair plot North over LHR for STN and its plot was dropped about 10miles North of LHR,, before my trip I would have seen it all the way to about 2000 feet

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:14:57 AM »
OK, check the centre pin of your antenna plug and make sure that it hasn't "retracted" into the body of the plug.

9M-ISJ

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:37:36 AM »
Will do... more soon

Tramline

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 12:14:40 PM »
Hi Gulfstream,

Whereabouts are you located?  I live 2 miles south of 27R and I've noticed a general 'quietness' around LHR as Allocator alluded to.

I did pick up 98-0002 Air Force 2 - I assume out of the 'Hall as it was at FL250 but no idea of routing. 

Be interested to hear your findings with your RB.
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 12:26:46 PM »
Airforce 2 departed the Hall at 16:30 yesterday and routed via Barkway. Pic on my website front page.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

9M-ISJ

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 12:30:02 PM »
Ashford Middx, I am 100percent not seeing things to the North which before I went away I was getting.

The 'view' north for my set up is through a brick wall in the loft,, but I did use to get data. I guess that something is causing the signal to be even weaker still (hopefully it is something within the set up I can fix).

At the moment I have just 30 aircraft on screen, normally I would expect to be over a hundred.

Just worried that I have damaged the unit itself whilst traveling (maybe I blew it up in Atlanta!!! - it was rather busy)

Tramline

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »
Ashford Middx, I am 100percent not seeing things to the North which before I went away I was getting.

The 'view' north for my set up is through a brick wall in the loft,, but I did use to get data. I guess that something is causing the signal to be even weaker still (hopefully it is something within the set up I can fix).

At the moment I have just 30 aircraft on screen, normally I would expect to be over a hundred.

Just worried that I have damaged the unit itself whilst traveling (maybe I blew it up in Atlanta!!! - it was rather busy)

We can only be a few miles apart as I live in Staines.  I use my antenna inside, on a window cill either upstairs or as yesterday downstairs.  Let me boor it up downstairs and see what numbers I get - probably pretty low, but I'll report back.

Tramline

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »

We can only be a few miles apart as I live in Staines.  I use my antenna inside, on a window cill either upstairs or as yesterday downstairs.  Let me boot it up downstairs and see what numbers I get - probably pretty low, but I'll report back.

Tramline

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 01:25:51 PM »
Ok, 'm sitting in my living room and the antenna is facing North thru a window but only 4 foot off the ground.

I have 12 a/c in My Flights, the furthest North a/c is G-OZBK about 30 miles N of LHR and EI-DVB over Nth Weald about 35 miles away  My Polar diagram gives an average of 40 miles coverage to the N with spikes upto between 60 and 80 miles.

This may not be of any use, but who knows

9M-ISJ

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »
Yeah, I think it confirms that something is wrong with my set up.

Hopefully it is the aieral and not the unit itself.

Thanks for your help

Gulfstream

Tramline

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 01:46:06 PM »
Ok Gulfstream, I'm now upto 26 a/c having raised the antenna by only 1 foot!  Furthest North is SWR40 over STN.